Ohio Knife Laws?

I am a detective in Northwest Ohio with a police department. Your replies seem to be right on the money. There is no clear law per the state on length. Your best bet is to be upfront about having it on your person and state that you use it for some type of tool usage. Never pull it out and never try to hide it as you’re being approached. Just be up front and honest and it will get you a long ways when it comes to this particular statute and remember all of these deal with concealed carry not open carry. I am more too happy to field any questions on Ohio laws and if I don’t know the answer I will research and find one.

what about school? some kids carry them not for anything in particular but just in case there's a situation in which they'd be very helpful

The forum has already been helpful but I have a specific question: I live in Columbus and recently purchased a USMC Kabar. When I did I had no intention of trying to carry it, but it made me curious as to what the laws are. Obviously it could never be concealed, but what about open carry in it's sheath? It has a 7" blade, and is considered a hunting/fighting knife so I'm pretty sure what direction the answer will go. In the city hunting or using it as a tool seems like a stretch for intent. I keep my nose clean, and can't ever imagine a feasible scenario for me to carry it. Just curious for clarification..

I live on the hilltop, 43204, I carry my Kabar some and I carry multiple other 4-5" fixed blades in sheaths, both leather and kydex on my belt without issue. I'm usually also carrying a 4" benchmade folder and a ~3" folder in my pockets, I carry 3 or 4 knives, never had one problem and I interact with cops (in a good way) a few times a week.

Hi, I am new to this forum and have been reading thru the posts on this thread, I also live in ohio and was wondering about knife laws since I like to carry one because they always come in handy, I've recently purchased 2 folding tactical knives that are spring assisted, the blade is 4 inches total length but 1.5 inches is a serrated "saw" at the bottom and the actual blade part is exactly 2.5 inches, does the serated part of the blade count as part of the total length of the blade? (because I believe in court an argument could be made that if the entire knife were serrated, it would not be considered a knife, it would be considered a saw) I would like to carry both of these knives on me for self defense and utility purposes, but I'm not trying to get into trouble with the law, is it legal to carry a knife in each pocket? and if not, would it be legal to carry them both as long as they were exposed?

Hi, I am new to this forum and have been reading thru the posts on this thread, I also live in ohio and was wondering about knife laws since I like to carry one because they always come in handy, I've recently purchased 2 folding tactical knives that are spring assisted, the blade is 4 inches total length but 1.5 inches is a serrated "saw" at the bottom and the actual blade part is exactly 2.5 inches, does the serated part of the blade count as part of the total length of the blade? (because I believe in court an argument could be made that if the entire knife were serrated, it would not be considered a knife, it would be considered a saw) I would like to carry both of these knives on me for self defense and utility purposes, but I'm not trying to get into trouble with the law, is it legal to carry a knife in each pocket? and if not, would it be legal to carry them both as long as they were exposed?

"Legal" length in a given local jurisdiction depends on local law. In Cleveland, and "knife" with a blade 2.5" or longer can possibly lead to six months in jail. So don't pocket a knife from McDonalds.

On the state level, legality depends on whether it is a "weapon" or not in the eyes of an LEO, jurors (if you ask for a jury), or a judge. If it's carried for "self-defense," it's ipso facto a "weapon." Spring-assisted probably does not help. Neither does "tactical."

Do serrations count? If the knife was 100% serrated it's not a knifel? Of course serrations count. A more interesting question is whether a ricasso counts.
A "saw"? "I've recently purchased 2 folding tactical knives." Convicted out of your own mouth. Treat anyone like a chump and they tend to be offended: "But, Officer, it's just a saw."

I've seen lots of folks with Buck 100-like sheaths on their belts - even in downtown Cleveland. But they didn't look threatening so the assorted Cleves didn't run screaming. NBD

You want to avoid trouble? Carry a SAK.

Knives are for self-defense by experts. Is that you?

"Legal" length in a given local jurisdiction depends on local law. In Cleveland, and "knife" with a blade 2.5" or longer can possibly lead to six months in jail. So don't pocket a knife from McDonalds.

On the state level, legality depends on whether it is a "weapon" or not in the eyes of an LEO, jurors (if you ask for a jury), or a judge. If it's carried for "self-defense," it's ipso facto a "weapon." Spring-assisted probably does not help. Neither does "tactical."

Do serrations count? If the knife was 100% serrated it's not a knifel? Of course serrations count. A more interesting question is whether a ricasso counts.
A "saw"? "I've recently purchased 2 folding tactical knives." Convicted out of your own mouth. Treat anyone like a chump and they tend to be offended: "But, Officer, it's just a saw."

I've seen lots of folks with Buck 100-like sheaths on their belts - even in downtown Cleveland. But they didn't look threatening so the assorted Cleves didn't run screaming. NBD

You want to avoid trouble? Carry a SAK.

Knives are for self-defense by experts. Is that you?

What is a ricasso? never hear of that before, I also don't know what SAK stands for, I'm no self defense expert per say, i just know if anyone tries starting some trouble with me unwarrantedly, whiping out a knife in each hand with a look in your eye that says I'll use it if you make me is a strong deterrent and tends to de escalate certain situations very effectively, I know because I've done it before. I think everyone has a right to defend themselves, since they are two different style knives I could play it off as I use them as tools and the different style blades are for two different purposes, I'm not out to hurt anyone, I've just been a victim in the past and refuse to be any longer, no matter what the law says, but I would like to be in compliance with it if possible.

"SAK" is a Swiss Army Knife which usually has multiple tools besides the blade(s)... I live in northeast Ohio, and often carry my Leatherman Charge Ti multi-tool in a belt sheath that makes it look more like a cell phone (but not a "smart phone")... I always carry a small SAK--a Victorinox Executive model, and often the Leatherman, or a SOG Twitch XL clipped to my pocket... not a good idea to carry any knife into sporting events, because you are often checked--I leave them in my vehicle or at home.

Basically if a you carry any knife meant to be used as a weapon then it is illegal...

http://www.knifeup.com/ohio-knife-laws/

Last edited:
I am a detective in Northwest Ohio with a police department. Your replies seem to be right on the money. There is no clear law per the state on length. Your best bet is to be upfront about having it on your person and state that you use it for some type of tool usage. Never pull it out and never try to hide it as you’re being approached. Just be up front and honest and it will get you a long ways when it comes to this particular statute and remember all of these deal with concealed carry not open carry. I am more too happy to field any questions on Ohio laws and if I don’t know the answer I will research and find one.
howdy partner.
I live in Montgomery county and was thinking of carrying a kabar USMC Short or full size (depending on what you say) just because I can. I'll be carrying it in a sheath on my belt out in the open so everyone can see (not concealing it is what I mean) I've read every link on this tread and would feel better if I had more input before I do so.
thanks for the help
Chris.

You want to walk around in public in Ohio with a full-sized Mk II strapped on? Rural area? Town? Downtown Toledo?

You want actual input?

I have a question about carrying my Topps Cuma Tak-ri 2 in my edc bag. Does anyone know if it's legal to store it inside my edc bag in the trunk of my car in ohio?

im just curious to ask. but ive been attacked with a knife. and even stabbed. so i now carry one for defense. ive got a clean record but yes i plan to use my knife for defense if im ever caught in same sim iliar situation.

i do not carry gun as movi g to ohio from massachussetts which is 4th in toughest gun laws. i have a nice concealable pocket knife that is not lets say legal length in mass. of course the knife that was used to attack me was not either. my question to u would be what would u consider to be the max length of a knife u would carry for defense. its easy for law to say dont carry knife but when i was attacked i was not a situation were i could call the police. and police can not garruantee my safety so in end of day if it comes to it i will break the law to defend myself cause no one can.
i do plan to get a conceal to carry in ohio. as laws are less strict and from what i heard its easier. but till then i plan to carry my knife if possible.

§ 2923.20. Unlawful transaction in weapons.

(A) No person shall...
(3) Manufacture, possess for sale, sell, or furnish to any person other than a law enforcement agency for authorized use in police work, any brass knuckles, cestus, billy, blackjack, sandbag, switchblade knife, springblade knife, gravity knife, or similar weapon...
(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of unlawful transactions in weapons. A violation of division (A)(1) or (2) of this section is a felony of the fourth degree. A violation of division (A)(3) or (4) of this section is a misdemeanor of the second degree. A violation of division (A)(5) of this section is a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

Notice it doesn't say you cannot OWN certain knives, but you cannot own with intent to sell or to carry them. I have a novelty "switchblade" that I keep in my house for show, but never carry it on my person. I believe in the city of Dayton, there is a 2 3/4" Length limit on concealed knives. I believe that a larger blade, holstered in a sheath on your belt and visible is okay (to be used for work, hunting, etc.)

As with much of the ORC, some issues are as clear as mud. Better safe than sorry, and unlike a carry handgun license, the restrictions can vary from one city/county to another. And like most weapon restrictions, they ALWAYS keep the bad guys from using them, right? :)

I am a 14 year old who carries regularly in Fulton and Henry counties, are their any laws I should be aware of? I have been carrying a gerber fast assisted with a 3.5 inch cutting edge and a Kershaw assisted with a 3 inch edge, I do not carry in school obviously, but do in public.

Ohio municipalities (cities and villages) often have ordinances that regulate carrying knives in public places.

Wow. Just wow. I'm considering a move from AZ to Ohio. You folks have lots of details that we have never had to contend with out here in the desert.

Back