OK, WHAT knife is at the top of your personal wish list

This has to be an Oriental quote. OK, where did you get it? ;)

It’s paraphrased from Destroyer Worlds- way of the Assassin. Part of the Destroyer series attributed to the character Chiun. Master of Sinanju.

The actual quote is,

In the world there are hundreds of flowers that bloom, each with its own beauty. Yet not one depends on another’s admission of its beauty. For beauty is beauty and one should accept the beauty that is his, because it is his own and no one else’s and needs no affirmation.

Basically, be yourself. Don’t give a hoot what others think and don’t look for affirmation. Especially in something as trivial as a pocket knife or car or any other material wealth.

I'm 99% sure a dozen or more of you will spend a day arguing over what steel is best for the blade material.

While frankly I'd much rather see a discussion about what Bourbon to drink while honing it.

There would be no argument. S110v is the obvious choice for such a blade :D

And no on the bourbon. Beer while sharpening it, Tequila after you’re done

Actually medical issues ended my working career and medical bills (pre-Obama care) took my savings, but as I was never a member of the private aircraft set, spending hundreds or thousands on a status symbol pocket item that you'd be lucky to find 0.1% of people who'd appreciate what it really was...

The rational question you need to ask yourself is: what does it do that a $20 Kershaw won't do.

And in most cases it is "make yourself feel SPECIAL", because you can afford a $500 tool that does not actually perform any better than a similar $20 Knife
I don't care if you lie to me in reply, but don't fall into the trap of lying to yourself.

I can see the point of collecting for collecting's sake, which is great if you have deep enough pockets, but even if you are fortunate enough to hire Bill Gates as your personal computer tech, and Donald Trump as a Butler, that doesn't give you the right to denigrate me for being less well financially privileged.

So what forum do you think you'll be gracing with your presence after you completely wear out your welcome here?

Actually medical issues ended my working career and medical bills (pre-Obama care) took my savings, but as I was never a member of the private aircraft set, spending hundreds or thousands on a status symbol pocket item that you'd be lucky to find 0.1% of people who'd appreciate what it really was...

The rational question you need to ask yourself is: what does it do that a $20 Kershaw won't do.

And in most cases it is "make yourself feel SPECIAL", because you can afford a $500 tool that does not actually perform any better than a similar $20 Knife
I don't care if you lie to me in reply, but don't fall into the trap of lying to yourself.

I can see the point of collecting for collecting's sake, which is great if you have deep enough pockets, but even if you are fortunate enough to hire Bill Gates as your personal computer tech, and Donald Trump as a Butler, that doesn't give you the right to denigrate me for being less well financially privileged.

You seem like the sort of guy who could fit in here. The sort of guy looking to learn without spending, share stories and be part of a community. But for some reason that doesn't seem to be happening. No one is denigrating you for having a limited budget, or at least not any more than you denigrated those who are willing to spend more. Many of the members here would have to think long and hard for a knife that was over a couple hundred bucks, my last big knife purchase cost the equivalent of ten hours gross wage, and it sat on my wish list for about two years. What does that knife do that a 20$ one doesn't? One-handed opening and closing, a blade shape I don't have to modify, in a steel that is impervious to rust from salt water, with a bulletproof warranty from a great company trying to push the boundaries of what is possible. So yeah, that was worth more than 20$ to me, 10x more in fact. Everyone else has that same train of thought, trust me, we just all have a different formula, some of us bill more per hour.
I've never been made to feel like I carried the wrong knife because I couldn't get the better one. In fact I appreciate that there are guys here willing to buy the customs so that I can have a chance at a production model. But I also would not have known I could ask for more of tools without a place like this.

That isn't to say I've never disagreed with anyone, but that can be done civilly. Many members here have tried to give guidance and advice, how to be a part of the room, but so far that advice has gone unheeded. There are also members here with a persecution complex. Spend some time, read some old threads, I think you'll find that many of those who bark the loudest bring the attention onto their own heads. No one is immune, this new system makes it harder to see who's got infraction points, but trust me, the mods here don't pick favorites. On the other hand, keep up with the crass behavior, and anyone that cares will just hit that ignore button. You decide what opinion gets formed of you, and you are being told what that opinion is becoming. No one is telling you that you have to think like everyone here. What we are saying is that you shouldn't expect everyone to think like you. Its not so much your opinions, rather how you express them that is the problem. Now if you want to complain about tone policing, that's fine. When I was a kid we were told a different term for it. I believe it was "acting like a decent adult"

This is just silliness. A classic example of "needs to read more and post less." If you look at the threads where people are posting what they are carrying today, and what knife they just bought and are excited about, you will see a full range from $10 Opinels to $1000 customs. 90% of the responses will be helpful and encouraging. Even the negative responses are rarely criticizing the knife because it's inexpensive. The real push-back comes from when someone insists that their choices are the only correct ones, and that anyone who prefers something else is a deadbeat dad, drug addict, who should be impaled.
It's a quote about a rug?
:):thumbsup:

Yeah, like I was saying, your entire post history here reeks of jealousy and insecurity. If you aren't here to discuss knives of all kinds, and instead denigrate* those of us here who don't have an issue spending money (because quality costs, a lesson I'm sure you're unfamiliar with), then I'm not sure why you're here. Either way, I expect you'll cross a line and be gone soon enough.

By the way? The level of how wrong you are is pretty absurd. There are objectively plenty of things $500 knives can do that $20 Kershaws can't. You don't have to agree, it just so shows your ignorance that you don't. Here's an idea, read more, post less.

*You aren't the only one with a thesaurus

3rd best Grail thread ever.

Also WTF "bronze 1911" ? Maybe not the sharpest spoon in the drawer.

Amusingly enough, he doesn't even see the hypocrisy. "People who spend a lot of money on knives when a $20 Kershaw will do are dumb. However, I, wanting to spend a lot of money on a gun when a $125 Hi Point will do the same thing, that's completely ok." LOL

spending hundreds or thousands on a status symbol pocket item that you'd be lucky to find 0.1% of people who'd appreciate what it really was...

There in lies your problem I think. Or perhaps my problem with you.

Why do you assume that everyone here is buying a status symbol to show off? Sure, some probably are. They come and go though. Here for a couple seasons then they get into watches, sneakers or some other trinket to pose with.

There are also those of us that are hard in the paint knife fanatics and have been for ages. I got into trouble when I was THREE YEARS OLD for playing with one of my grandfather's pocket knives. He gave me my own later that year and 29 years later I'm still fascinated by them.

I like posting photos of my knives, discussing their attributes and performance. I like seeing other folks post theirs and hearing their stories or their opinions.

I DO NOT however need their admiration or approval. To assume that my efforts, interactions and purchases in this hobby are purely an act of vanity says more about you than me I think.

I'm currently saving for an absurdly priced folder from Rockstead. It's $1250... for a production knife. I would never recommend that someone purchase one. It's unnecessary. Does it perform better than a $20 Kershaw? Yes. Much better. Does it perform 6250% better? Nope. Not even close.

I'm not going to buy one so I can show it off. If I wanted a show piece I could buy dozens of knives that are much cheaper and much more impressive. I'm going to buy the Rockstead because I appreciate it. I've had a long-standing love affair with the steel used in the blade and they do it better than anyone else. I love the care given to the polished bevel. I even love the endearingly shitty pocket clip they use that looks like it came off of a gas station knife.

I'm going to spend the absurd amount of money that Rockstead commands for their knife. I'm going to enjoy owning it. I'm going to share here on this forum and on Instagram my photos and the enjoyment I get from owning the knife. I'll probably also share the cuts that my fingers suffer due to it.

I genuinely don't care if you or anyone else agrees with my opinion on the knife. I also genuinely hope that nobody gives a shit about my negative opinion of a knife that they enjoy.

I'm sorry your medical issues have robbed you of the ability to afford some of the more expensive items pictured here. I'm only recently able to dabble in the loftier items myself. I and many others here post photos or stories of inexpensive knives right alongside those of the grails owned by others. One doesn't discount the other and there's no need to make a competition out of it.

I'd hope that your persistent criticism of the more expensive knives made you at least feel better, but I doubt it's the case. Just know it's not making us feel worse.

*You aren't the only one with a thesaurus

Thesaurus? That some sort of little ankle biter dinosaur? I bet it just whined until it's prey killed themselves to get away from it.

If you're going to own a dinosaur, get something burly and homegrown like the Allosaurus. 'Murica!

Clearly it is a cheap Chinese knock off quote...a clone if you will. The original "Murcan" quote was, "Sure, that flower over there LOOKS nice, but can it do this?" Followed by "Hold my beer."

Where does"No, y'all ain't doing it right let me show you!" fit in the order?

They make them out of aluminum, as well, so What is wrong with Bronze?
..... yes there are aluminium framed 1911s, they have their pluses and minuses, there doe snot appear to be a 1911 with a frame made from bronze however. There are today better steels for the purpose. Those bronze painted Dan Wessons are good looking however.

They make them out of aluminum, as well, so What is wrong with Bronze?
I think those bronze frames are cerakoted, not made out of actual bronze. The frames are stainless. If you are planning on spending that much money on something, I suggest you research it fully before purchasing. Also you will use a $400 knife more than a fake bronze pistol.

Back