Okay... what is the responsible way to handle this encounter?

Sorry if this vid was already posted, I wouldn't have a clue if it was.
I'm dumbfounded by the way this guy dealt with this.
This bear has got to be miles more likely to be a problem bear after this encounter, IMHO.
My thoughts? Warning shot, pepper spray, air horn, yelling, depending on the local laws - shoot it full of holes.
Your thoughts?

I'm interested in what will be suggested. I agree that the bear will probably be more likely to be a problem due to that encounter.

Weird, when I click on the vid here it says its unavailable.
Apologies to the mods if I've somehow broken a rule.
Going to try a different avenue.
The vid is by David Weale and is titled "The scariest thing I've ever woken up to..."

Yeah that guys an idiot. He should have scared the bear off. As the OP said it’s more likely to become a problem bear.

Sheesh. I get being nice to it while you're stuck on your butt in a mesh bag, but once you got out... Scare the thing off!

Scare the bear away is first preference I know and agree with ... but with it that close if you startle the bear it may become more agressive instead of running ... if they hadn't they should have tried to scare it before it got so close ...

bear spray if a bear gets that close I think would be my first choice ... left handed with my right on my revolver at the ready ...

but after the encounter a definate call to the local DNR ... I think if it hasn't already this bear will become a problem bear and probably should be relocated farther from people.

iu

This guy seemed unprepared to be in the wilderness. You need a gun or something(though laws may impede this), bear mace, knife, & small axe not that the later 2 would be much help against a bear but better than nothing. I think someone mentioned no food in the tent another great and import rule of camping.

This guy seemed unprepared to be in the wilderness. You need a gun or something(though laws may impede this), bear mace, knife, & small axe not that the later 2 would be much help against a bear but better than nothing. I think someone mentioned no food in the tent another great and import rule of camping.
You don’t need any of that. The guy had food where he shouldn’t have. The end.

Seriously, look at that bear. He knows there’s food there but is unsure if the other animal is dangerous and will stop him. He’s weighing his options. Yell and chase him off.

The gun and bear mace would be defensive items for if you know your going to be in an area where bears, cougars, and other animals capable of mauling, maiming, or murdering you. The knife and small ax to me are just essential tools for camping as they make building a fire and such much easier but can serve as emergency defensive implements. No food in the tent is just a common sense rule of camping and anyone who neglects it isn't prepared to camp. The guy was an idiot in a couple ways after he got out of the tent and had distances from the bear he moved closer to the bear.

Pretty much If I had a knife lol I would have cut the tent opposite side from the bear and exited. Bear can have my granola bars

When camping in bear country, I usually have a firearm. Last time I camped in Grizzly bear country, there were active problem bears causing problems. We were advised to have guns. I had a .357 and a 12 gauge with .000 buck and slugs.

I've camped in other areas where I just had .357 with heavy for caliber bullets.

I'm not through hiking or ultra light camping much. Usually on my overnights these days there is a canoe involved. Often in cougar habitat....

Based on this guys reactions in doubt he had a gun or bear spray...

Back