OKC 498 vs Buck 124

Hello peeps,

First off, sorry if I wrote this in the wrong subforum.
I'm a begineer knife collector, and besides couple of CRKT and cheaper Ontario knives, my main is Ka-Bar 1095 Carbon.

Recently, I wanted to buy another knife in the similar price range, and the place where I shop actually had two that I was recommended to. One was Ontario 498, at 50ish bucks, the other was a Buck 124 on a large discount, for 85.

Now, since I have Ka-bar, and physically the knife is very similar to 498, and since they're both 1095 high carbon steel, I guess I kinda know how good 498 probably is - similarly to my Ka-bar, as so I think I cannot go wrong with that knife for that price, and since I like Ka-bar chances are I will like 498 too.

BUT since Buck is 150 usd usually, I'm thinking this is maybe the chance to own a more expensive knife for the collection. I understand it's made of 440 stainless steel, which is a different material. How does it compare to the 1095?

If someone has both, can you give me the opinion of both, how do they compare? How happy are you with them? Lastly, what would you pick on my place?

Thanks!

Well, like I said, I'm a begineer.

Besides, that still doesn't answer any of my questions.

I've handled, but not owned the 124, but have several other Bucks, with 420HC. I've had the 498, and numerous others in 1095. The 124 is the only Buck I've ever really had a longing for, but never bought. The aluminum hardware is the big turnoff for me, once it gets beaten up and oxidizes, it goes in the toilet, for me. For some reason, I don't mind buffing out brass, because it seems worth the effort. 420HC is different that 420, and Buck blades have more than stood the test of time. but. I would still hesitate to use the Buck the way I would the Ontario. The handle will be slicker too, if you're using it in the cold or wet.

Sorry, that may not be direct enough. Buck's 420HC is really very good, and hard to beat for a non-"wonder steel".

1095 blades, especially the 498, I have no problem using or abusing, even if it's more expensive. With the steel guard and pommel, the 498 for me is an excellent field knife. Wipe it down with Boeshield or Barricade before heading out, and it's good.

Having said alll that, if you've ever wondered about a shorter length bowie, or Buck's product, and if you can get it for $80-ish, the 124 would be a great deal. If you don't like it, you can definitely get your money back. the Ontarios will be around for awhile.

I've handled, but not owned the 124, but have several other Bucks, with 420HC. I've had the 498, and numerous others in 1095. The 124 is the only Buck I've ever really had a longing for, but never bought. The aluminum hardware is the big turnoff for me, once it gets beaten up and oxidizes, it goes in the toilet, for me. For some reason, I don't mind buffing out brass, because it seems worth the effort. 420HC is different that 420, and Buck blades have more than stood the test of time. but. I would still hesitate to use the Buck the way I would the Ontario. The handle will be slicker too, if you're using it in the cold or wet.

Sorry, that may not be direct enough. Buck's 420HC is really very good, and hard to beat for a non-"wonder steel".

1095 blades, especially the 498, I have no problem using or abusing, even if it's more expensive. With the steel guard and pommel, the 498 for me is an excellent field knife. Wipe it down with Boeshield or Barricade before heading out, and it's good.

Having said alll that, if you've ever wondered about a shorter length bowie, or Buck's product, and if you can get it for $80-ish, the 124 would be a great deal. If you don't like it, you can definitely get your money back. the Ontarios will be around for awhile.

Thank you for the lengthy response! I was guessing that's the most logical thing to do as well, getting the Buck and see if I like it, and down the line I could get OKC anyway, it seems to be sold at that price all the time.

Thank you once again.

Buck's 124 is a classic and I may just pick one up for the heck of it. Regarding Buck's standard 420HC steel, I have field dressed a couple of moose with a Buck 119 and it did fine, needed a touch-up after cutting a lot of coarse gritty hide but it is easy to sharpen, contrary to a lot of so-called Super Steels. I once rescued a 119 from the bilge of a saltwater fishing boat where it had been sloshing around for who knows how long and it was as good as new, minimal corrosion. Hard to go wrong with any Buck IMHO.

Buck's 124 is a classic and I may just pick one up for the heck of it. Regarding Buck's standard 420HC steel, I have field dressed a couple of moose with a Buck 119 and it did fine, needed a touch-up after cutting a lot of coarse gritty hide but it is easy to sharpen, contrary to a lot of so-called Super Steels. I once rescued a 119 from the bilge of a saltwater fishing boat where it had been sloshing around for who knows how long and it was as good as new, minimal corrosion. Hard to go wrong with any Buck IMHO.

Thank you! I'll be definitely picking a Buck next. I think I'll like it too, just will need to take care to keep it in excellent shape. :)

Thanks for the help, guys!

the current 124s, as Jill said are 420hc, and have very thick and blocky handles. some refer to them as a 2x4. some like 'em and some dont. I assume you've held it and are okay with it? if not go back and hold it in your hand since you're shopping at a local dealer and can hold it in your hand. that alone will tell ya which to get.

I dont have both but have many ontarios and many bucks including the 124. and the ontarios are good value, but need more finish work than bucks do. edges often come dull and obtuse angles. require almost always being touched up right out of the box. bucks usually cut from the box. buck aluminum can be polished.....and easily. done it many times. easy to keep up with.

Back