OKC's SP series 1095 switch to 1075 steel...

I have a newer SP2 I have been using the pants off.. Here are my initial videos for the knife

and after a few months of use

I don't know how true this is, but I found this comment which gives an explanation for the inconsistent grinds on Ontario knives in recent years, left on a video by Gideons Tactical. I only post this as I noticed a few people complaining about it in this thread.

This is the link to the video:

OUDRHB2.png

The Grind Issues I had back with my first SP-53s, it seems to becoming back to haunt them again. Heard some handle problems? I don't consider that a metallurgical issue besides needing a slight more sharpening.

But for the steel switch, long story short, making blades more tougher at cost of needing sharpening a bit more is a small and reasonable move. And cutting down on warranty breakage (Not saying grind issues) was another deciding factor. As they are a smaller company their switch to 1075 makes sense as go to first page posts to find out why.

But with no more 5160 or D2 fixed blades, and Ranger Line gone, I would of been looking for a replacement blade company, but having got gotten a good number of "Back Up" blades I won't have to look much for one as I got them when OKC was in its "Golden" or "Silver?" or "5160" age. And no not getting any bayonets...some how I got two OKC 3s, two M7s, two M9s (I used one for barbwire cutting!) (latter two mentioned OKC). But the SP-10 and SP-8 replacement/gifts and maybe a machete I'll get later on.

On the side note, I can't tell the differnt between my1075 and 1095 blades. On 1075 I wish I could get more of is the RAK, good big blade that's compact and very versatile.

I don't know how true this is, but I found this comment which gives an explanation for the inconsistent grinds on Ontario knives in recent years, left on a video by Gideons Tactical. I only post this as I noticed a few people complaining about it in this thread.

OUDRHB2.png
Gideon should have angled the grinder up to where it also grinds in on the edge side rim of the

OUDRHB2.png

Gideon should have angled the grinder up to where it also grinds in on the edge side rim of the fuller & the top of the hollow grind. He's trying to put a convex edge on a hollow ground blade, of course it's a pain. The bevel makes it tougher since it's so obtuse, you just have to get agressive with it and move metal off. I think it looks better w some coating ground off anyway, it's a dirty work knife. Just watch the tip! My army cuz was asking about knives so i hooked him up w this 1095 SP-2, a Gerber Strongarm, and an OKC Cerberus in D2.

The Grind Issues I had back with my first SP-53s, it seems to becoming back to haunt them again. Heard some handle problems? I don't consider that a metallurgical issue besides needing a slight more sharpening.

But for the steel switch, long story short, making blades more tougher at cost of needing sharpening a bit more is a small and reasonable move. And cutting down on warranty breakage (Not saying grind issues) was another deciding factor. As they are a smaller company their switch to 1075 makes sense as go to first page posts to find out why.

But with no more 5160 or D2 fixed blades, and Ranger Line gone, I would of been looking for a replacement blade company, but having got gotten a good number of "Back Up" blades I won't have to look much for one as I got them when OKC was in its "Golden" or "Silver?" or "5160" age. And no not getting any bayonets...some how I got two OKC 3s, two M7s, two M9s (I used one for barbwire cutting!) (latter two mentioned OKC). But the SP-10 and SP-8 replacement/gifts and maybe a machete I'll get later on.

On the side note, I can't tell the differnt between my1075 and 1095 blades. On 1075 I wish I could get more of is the RAK, good big blade that's compact and very versatile.
Yes, I saw a couple of people + comments complaining about the handles coming loose on the new ones, enough to make a rattle. I think someone made a video comparing an old handle with no issues to a new handle that had come loose, and it looked a bit different, I think that guy claimed that they used to form the handle directly onto the tang, whereas now they press fit it and use some kind of glue, but I don't know if he is correct as I don't own an OKC knife, I almost got some, but upon reading about the issues, I decided against it, which is a bit sad.

Gideon should have angled the grinder up to where it also grinds in on the edge side rim of the fuller & the top of the hollow grind. He's trying to put a convex edge on a hollow ground blade, of course it's a pain. The bevel makes it tougher since it's so obtuse, you just have to get agressive with it and move metal off. I think it looks better w some coating ground off anyway, it's a dirty work knife. Just watch the tip! My army cuz was asking about knives so i hooked him up w this 1095 SP-2, a Gerber Strongarm, and an OKC Cerberus in D2.
I'm not saying he is completely in the right, he does seem to be a bit on the "tacticool" side, rather than someone who really knows what they're doing, I just posted the video for the parts about knives coming blunt + the comment that might be from one of their former employees. Regardless, I think they need to explain what's going on.

Gideon's cool enough to me, and he's not wrong. U cant sharpen that pry bar w a belt grinder unless you change the blade altogether. If he posted up a vid of the sp-2 with a bunch of metal and coating missing off the sides, many ppl wouldn't recognize it and think wtf is that.

The SP-2 is an updated, commercial version of the Jet Pilot Survival Knife which closely matches the blade geometry of the original Marbles design which was submitted to the military in 1957. The design was accepted by the military and prototypes were produced by Marbles from 1957-1959. The military contract ultimately went to Camillus Cutlery Corporation who produced the knife from 1961-2006 and after Camillus closed it went to Ontario Knife Company. Marbles did offer a commercial version of the knife in 1961 and between the three companies the knife has been in production from 1961-2022 for both the military and commercial market. So knives of this style and blade geometry have been production for 61 years and tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands have been produced and used. Clearly there is a demand for knives of this type and blade geometry in both the military and commercial market.

The knife was primarily designed to facilitate egress from a downed aircraft and designed to penetrate and cut through an aircraft skin (metal chisel geometry and ripping saw teeth) and/or break through acrylic cockpit windows (heavy steel pommel). The blade needed to be very strong which is reflected in the short, thick blade and the narrow saber grind. The narrow saber grind adds strength to the blade (larger proportion of the blade at full thickness) and strength to the edge by increasing the angle of the primary bevel creating a thick wedge. The secondary design considerations were to provide the user with a weapon for self defense and survival.

The SP-2 was designed as an updated commercial version of the original JPSK. The hilt was changed to Kraton making it lighter and more ergonomic but the blade geometry continues to closely match that of the original knife. Clearly there is a demand and use for a blade with this geometry as evidenced by the longevity and popularity of the design.

Back