Oklahoma Custom Knives

Are there any custom knive makers in Oklahoma? I was in a store and I asked the lady at the counter and she told me two but can't rember who they were.

Go to [www.theknifegroup.com and you will find our group of makers under the list. Click on their name on member list and you will bring up a page of their info and some have links to webpages or pictures of their knives. Three Mastersmith and several Jourmansmiths with the ABS. 5 that are members or probabtionswith the Knifemakers Guild. Several just good old boys that do it for the love of it. Mike Miller- El Reno

Hello Brennan. There are a good number here in Oklahoma. Just some I can name right off. Mike Williams, Ray Kirk, John Martin, myself, Rob Weber, Gary Crowder. Mike Miller, Joe Wheeler, Jerry Lairson, and a number of others. The KGA website has a listing with ways to contact as already mentioned. We would be glad to talk to you.

Brion Tomberlin

Brennan At this time there is a shop tour scheduled at Rob Weber shop the 17 of February. His shop is at Dewey and he is right on highway 75 North of the city. Come and meet people and watch demos of ways to make knives. Mike MILLER

Great thread... and very useful. I have wondered the same thing since I'm a fellow Okie, but never thought to ask here.

Jayson Bucy whose info is listed on the member list is from Ada i believe. Joe Wheeler is up North in Seminole.. Mike Miller

Hey Brennan I am in Norman. I guess about an hour or so from you. You are welcome to come by the shop. Just give me a call or e-mail beforehand. I am listed on the KGA site which has my contact info.

Brion Tomberlin

Brennan Brion will dazzle you with his abilities. He has some of the sleekest designs and knives you would ever wish to see. Mike

Bill Duff moved to Poteau, Ok. from Nevada. He is a 35 year Guild member. Started out with Buck knives in the 60's, then started Rigid knives with a friend in their garage. Now he only makes knives in his own name, and they are better than ever. I sold 3,500.00 worth of his knives to two people in two days. You can contact Bill yourself if you want at 918-647-4458

Mike thanks for the kind words. Some blushing going on here. Seriously thank you for the compliment, you are no slouch in the knifemaking department either. I had the pleasure of sitting next to BIll Duff at the Oklahoma Show. He had some very nice pieces and is a nice guy to boot.
Brennan if you can make it try to get to Rob Weber's shop tour in February, the 17th I believe. There will be a number of makers there as well as good information and you are more than welcome to attend.

Brion

Thanks for all of the info. I am looking to buy a few custom knives and thought is would be cool to have a few made in Oklahoma.

You have a just a short time and the Wannamaker show at the Tulsa fair grounds will be on. Several of us will have tables there upstairs. Mike Miller

Just picked up a Bill Duff Knife at the Little Rock show. There were knives worth more money with fancier steel and handles, but I feel certain that I got the most knife for the money of all the knives there. I will post a pic after my birthday (thats when I get it) on Feb. 10.

There is a lot of talent in Oklahoma. Many that go to bigger shows in other parts of the country seem to think and have said to me things about how I need to go to other shows to catch up like I'm missing out on something here without realizing the talent that exists down here in this part of the world. I grew up back east, lived out west, in the NorthWest too and in Florida and even Alaska for a short time among other places when April and I moved all over in the service. Seemed there for a time that we were uprooting about every two years and high tailing it to another part of the US.

Moving to Bartlesville Oklahoma from Arizona was the best thing that ever happened for me personally regarding knives, learning about them and sharing information as well as meeting people. Dozier, Krein, A.G.Russell and several other fellows already mentioned are also near by geographically but not in Oklahoma so there are talented makers and designers all around us also. I think the Wannemaker show is a great show in Tulsa personally. I have learned a lot and had some very good conversations with several makers from South Africa, as well as other parts of the US there.

I hear a lot of makers say that they attended it and didn't sell a thing and others say just the opposite. My take on that is that if you are going to the shows to primarily make money instead of learn, grow and get your name out there you set yourself up for disappointment no matter which one you go to but thats another story.

I believe the late great Mike England was also from Oklahoma. Come see us.

STR

Back