Old 499 legit or fake?

Wasty

Platinum Member
Hi Everyone,

I found this old 499ish looking knife at a surplus store, for 10€.
Not sure if it is legit or fake.

The pommel is screwed on and the sawback is also a bit strange. No markings whatsoever.

It looks as if it has been through the wringer and I'm a bit uncertain if it is worth restoring it...

IMG_20210909_092459_compress43.jpgIMG_20210909_092424_compress75.jpgIMG_20210909_092445_compress79.jpg

It's a 5" ish blade and the stacked leather is already a bit compressed..

If it is legit, does anyone know where I can get a new leather handle?

Looks like a copy to me, though I’m no expert. I had one I bought in the 1980s. The pommel unscrewed and you could slip the leather washers off and the guard. Actually, that was good if you wanted to attach it to a stick, without the bulk of the leather handle, it was really secure. The “swede” on mine was totally unsharpened like yours, the finish on the blade was more a smooth dark bronze colour, not even sure if it was carbon steel- it never rusted. The sheath was just like yours, in that there was no aluminium plate on the bottom front and back. I bought it from a surplus shop for what I’m sure would have been a very reasonable price. I lost it 20 years ago or so when I moved, always hankered after replacing it, though after reading reviews about the “real thing”, I was somewhat put off. Finally, after all these years, I pulled the plug 😁. So glad I did, I love it. I actually like having to sand the leather down to finish it off, going to put little flats on the sides above the guard, where my fingers rest. They will be little reference points, so I’ll know how it’s oriented in my hand. Put some polish on the handle for now, just to darken it and give it a little protection until I decide on neatsfoot oil or something else, done same to sheath. Going to get the Spyderco sharpener out to reprofile the edge to maybe 25 degrees, will keep it fairly obtuse as it’s quite soft.
Have to say, I just love it’s look solid, no frills, can’t wait to take it out in the woods!😁

Back