Old bandsaw repair options?

A.McPherson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hey folks, I've got an old delta wood cutting bandsaw, I'd say it's probably a 10" or so. It's old, super awesome westinghouse motor finally gave up the ghost last weekend and I'm trying to figure out what to do about it.

I got the old girl for free from a friend of mine who found her on the side of the road, about 10 years ago, and I think I've put in about 50$ or so into updating her with a new set of tires.

So not a whole lot invested so far.

I see a couple options here.
1. Use a 110v motor I have on hand and get a new step pully that fits.
2. Buy a 3 phase motor, mount it direct drive style and use my grinder's vfd for speed control.
3. Buy a new bandsaw.

What do y'all think?

Personally I would grab a 3 phase off craigs and use the vfd you already have for your grinder. I am addicted to variable speed now.

Fix her up with a new 3 phase motor. Vfd is good when cutting g10 and micarta, which like lower speed than wood.

3Phase motor and VFD.
Get a good Lenox or similar metal cutting blade as well as a carbide tipped wood cutting blade for it.
New tires, blade guides, and other wear parts.

Last edited:
Your old Delta band saw is probably much better than any new saw you could buy. Like other said, just get another motor.

So I thought I'd throw up some pics of the old motor, just in case some of you like old stuff too!

h9dnxMa.jpg

PPVuqIz.jpg

My bandsaw has seen better days as well, I think it needs new tires, new belt and new bearings. Maybe a stronger motor as well.

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith , how powerful should the motor be for cutting steel? My 750w seems to struggle on stainless steel above 4 mm?

My bandsaw has seen better days as well, I think it needs new tires, new belt and new bearings. Maybe a stronger motor as well.

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith , how powerful should the motor be for cutting steel? My 750w seems to struggle on stainless steel above 4 mm?

It's not all in the horse power. For example among floor standing industrial versions of smaller size (310 mm / 12" throat depth) 1/2 and sometimes 1 hp is most common. Mine has 360 mm depth and uses 2900 mm long blades, has a 1 hp motor and no issues cutting thick stuff.

0QT5NBx.jpg

Smaller portable units compensate with more hp. For comparison my old bench top one (Femi 783XL) had 950 W using 1335 mm blades..

It's not all in the horse power. For example among floor standing industrial versions of smaller size (310 mm / 12" throat depth) 1/2 and sometimes 1 hp is most common. Mine has 360 mm depth and uses 2900 mm long blades, has a 1 hp motor and no issues cutting thick stuff.

0QT5NBx.jpg

Smaller portable units compensate with more hp. For comparison my old bench top one (Femi 783XL) had 950 W using 1335 mm blades..
That looks nice, it's a metal cutting saw, no? What speeds does it run (I see there is a selector, but can't read it), do you cut wood with it as well?

I have a Emco BS3, it runs 2120mm bandsaw and a has a pulley system for different cutting speeds and the disc sander. I am thinking if it's worth the money for new tires and belt (ca 100 Euro). Ultimately I think it would need a real pulley guide system and and a stronger motor which would set me back another 200-300 euros.
talwFPp.jpg

it's a metal cutting saw, no? What speeds does it run (I see there is a selector, but can't read it), do you cut wood with it as well?

Yes it's a metal band saw. I was only talking about those. Wood cutting saws typically run higher speeds and have more hp.

Mine runs 30-90 m/min. I have it set on 30 always and use 18 tpi blades. For steel, micarta, g10. I don't use any wood in the shop.

Back