Old cross Pioneer

I just acquired a NIB red alox old cross pioneer with brass liners. Is this considers a collectable? Should I carry it or just add it to the collection?

Old cross Pioneers seem t be the most common of all old-cross models. That said, NIB/mint pieces tend to sell at a considerable premium over used ones. So, if yours is in new condition, I would make it a shelf queen and pick up another, mildly used one, for EDC ;)

Thanks for the reply. I came home from work to find my dog had eaten the box. I guess it's going to make it's way into my edc.

It is like this one? Mine is an old Elinox , but I carry It often .

P1070560_zps07759d5b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I think the Soldier models had a number on the tang . This one has the Elinox markings on one side of the tang and VSSR on the other , so I "believe" it's a pioneer .

I thought the Soldier was the only model to come with a bail? Either way it’s really cool. I much prefer the old cross logo.

I thought the Soldier was the only model to come with a bail? Either way it’s really cool. I much prefer the old cross logo.
Pioneer and Woodsman models were also made with a bail.

Thanks, good to know. So the date stamp is the only way to definitively identify a Soldier?

On the issued Soldiers, the tool set is the same as Pioneer, but 1) the shield is different, 2) there is a year stamp on the tang, and 3) there is no key ring. At various times, there were "mules" produced, with 1 or 2 of the 3 Soldier's distinguishing features. There is a bit of a debate on what to call those, but they have never been issued to Swiss Army.

Thanks for the reply. I came home from work to find my dog had eaten the box. I guess it's going to make it's way into my edc.

Lol! That is something my dog would do! It is as good an excuse as any to carry it. I find that collecting and using don't mix well anyway...

Back