Off Topic Old, folding machete I.D. help

At least, I think so anyways. I'll be completely honest, I know nothing compared to you guys about knives. I want to learn more though, starting with this one. My grandpa gave this to me recently, and that's the extent of my knowledge about it. Gramps is from Mexico, but I don't know if that's where he got it. All I know is, it's older than I am at 20. And that it's in dire need of repair. Any info on it would be awesome! Thanks in advance.
V6GOY1X
MdQdnJb.jpg
WCuEjLb.jpg
bYvPb0W.jpg
TM6NYT6.jpg

Last edited:
At least, I think so anyways. I'll be completely honest, I know nothing compared to you guys about knives. I want to learn more though, starting with this one. My grandpa gave this to me recently, and that's the extent of my knowledge about it. Gramps is from Mexico, but I don't know if that's where he got it. All I know is, it's older than I am at 20. And that it's in dire need of repair. Any info on it would be awesome! Thanks in advance.
V6GOY1X
Your picture isn't showing. I tried following the link, but couldn't find it there either.

Your picture isn't showing. I tried following the link, but couldn't find it there either.
Shit, I used the little picture button and put the imgur link there. I must have screwed up something. Sorry about that, what should I do to fix it? I'm posting on mobile, if that makes any difference.

Shit, I used the little picture button and put the imgur link there. I must have screwed up something. Sorry about that, what should I do to fix it? I'm posting on mobile, if that makes any difference.

You linked to a gallery with multiple pictures. The forum software can't decipher that. I right clicked the link in your post to see it.
To post a picture do this:
Click a single picture to bring just that picture on the screen.
Then right click it.
From the Pop-up, sellect, "Copy Image Address".
Then go to your post and paste that into the picture tool.

I would guess that it was made in Mexico.

67Cire7.jpg

TM6NYT6.jpg

ghTKwMs.jpg

You linked to a gallery with multiple pictures. The forum software can't decipher that. I right clicked the link in your post to see it.
To post a picture do this:
Click a single picture to bring just that picture on the screen.
Then right click it.
From the Pop-up, sellect, "Copy Image Address".
Then go to your post and paste that into the picture tool.

I would guess that it was made in Mexico.

67Cire7.jpg

TM6NYT6.jpg

ghTKwMs.jpg
Thanks, I appreciate the tutorial. And what detail would you say makes you think it was made in Mexico? I've tried putting alot of things in my search bar, but nothing comes up that looks like the one I have, but that might just be me not knowing what to look for.

Yes, Pakistani. This one is known as the "King Cobra Folding Bowie" or "Cobra Folding Bowie" depending on who's importing it. It's been a popular seller on the budget market since the 80's at least.

Yes, Pakistani. This one is known as the "King Cobra Folding Bowie" or "Cobra Folding Bowie" depending on who's importing it. It's been a popular seller on the budget market since the 80's at least.

Wow! I never would have guessed Pakistan. I was a bit bummed it wasn't made in Mexico, but I'm glad I have a reference to work off of now so I can fix the damn thing. The lock broke due to rust and while it looked ok, the blade was liable to fall and chop my fingers off. Thanks again all you guys!

Thanks, I appreciate the tutorial. And what detail would you say makes you think it was made in Mexico? I've tried putting alot of things in my search bar, but nothing comes up that looks like the one I have, but that might just be me not knowing what to look for.

"Mexico" as opposed to US-made. At one time Oaxaca was a cutlery center. If memory serves, switch blades and folding knives were at one time commonly made there. I believe these days it's mostly touristy bowie blades.

But Pakistan probably is the place of manufacture for your knife.

Hey, sorry to necro an old post but information is hard to come by.

I've got the exact situation as OP except the places; my grandda left me this knife and it needs some tender loving care. I have done as much as I can with the outside and found out that the lever is no longer slotting into the lock-holes on the blade. So I want to take it apart but am sparse on tools. Can I just take a punch and push all the pins out, or is there something I should be aware of first?

Hey guy I have the same knife but it's working and folding with no problem but it's getting old. Not sure how much time for use but it is a beautiful thing

Back