Old Friends Friday

The Huntsman in this photo has been with me more places than an other knife. A good, old & reliable friend.

bu336vr.jpg

Thanks Jack, in Meako's defense it did not look quite like it does now. When it was offered in a quick GAW, R8shell had already dubbed it "Sneezy". It had such a sickly color I wondered if a knife could contract the flu. :D Before handling it I first disinfected it... just in case!:D;) Then I burnt, sanded and stained the bone repeatedly while removing gunk and rust from the metal parts, until it looked as it does today. I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to attempt a rescue of the poor thing and thrilled that it turned out as it did. Honestly it could have gone either way.

Nice work my modest friend :) :thumbsup:

Sort of a melancholy Old Friend Friday post for me... we lost one of our beloved "pet kids" last Sunday, he was fighting something that came on so quick that it had to be a cancer of some sort. The vets were never able to figure it out before he passed away but he did have some masses in his neck. Old Friends may sometimes be lost but they are never forgotten... here is my favorite pic of Captain Barbossa and an Ulster pruner I'm sure he watched me outside using on more than one occasion :) No condolences or apologies needed, just smile at the pic if you are a pet lover :D Barbossa was a promoter of happiness, not sadness :)

BOBO.JPG

UMP-1B.JPG

I don't think knives have to be "old" to be considered "old-friends".
This #14 has become my most trusted knife and constant companion. I recently did a Month of Peanut carry and left my #14 in the drawer that whole time. The one thing I learned in that month is that the Peanut doesn't hold a candle to this #14 when it comes to usability while still remaining watch pocket friendly. So for Old Friends Friday, I am happy to throw my #14 back in my pocket... I missed you old friend. ;)

... here is my favorite pic of Captain Barbossa ... just smile at the pic if you are a pet lover :D

View attachment 1113612

View attachment 1113613
I did smile Kevin, because that is a beautiful pic.

I don't think knives have to be "old" to be considered "old-friends".
This #14 has become my most trusted knife and constant companion... ;)

+1 John, I too have a #14 that is difficult not to carry!
This Northwoods' handle material is 10,000 years old (or more) but it's not it's age that makes it an old friend. It's an old friend because of what it is... a 74 Zulu.

bJGDCC7.jpg

If I didn't already have one that picture would push me over the edge, Dwight.
Thanks Gary and I agree with what you said the other day. These little knives are just about full custom in every way.

Dwight and Gary, I told A.G. before he passed that if they made that in a 3¾" version I might never carry anything else!
Shame it never happened.
Wouldn't that have been something!

Back