Old Friends Friday

This is one of the first knives I purchased shortly after I decided that knives were now my hobby and passion, still one of the coolest looking knives I have and will get pocket time today :)

vfcell-1a-jpg.984243

vfcell-1c-jpg.984245

That's a cool-looking knife :) :thumbsup:

Thought I'd take my old friend Skoll out for a walk today...

Great to see Skoll John :cool: :thumbsup:

When Charlie @waynorth got GEC to make his first 'Ancient Barlow's, I thought it was incredibly bold and innovative. They are beautifully made, and also a great carry in my opinion. The 'scratted bone' model is my favourite, a really special knife I'm happy to own, and glad to be carrying again today :) :thumbsup:

0EGEnbV.jpg

TNu9Btx.jpg

pYfsD3H.jpg

I agree Jack, Charlie's Ancients are bold, innovative and great carry knives! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the inspirational reminder. :cool:

Here's an Ancient from Charlie's second run.
Nzx1HFX.jpg

rF8FSMb.jpg

Wonderfully colored sawcut bone, hammered pins, simulated forged bolsters and a replicated blade grind transport me to a golden era of knife making each time I hold one. Thank you Charlie (@waynorth), Tom Sawyer never had it so good! :)

I've had the Frost's and the Dexter forever. I liked the looks of the Frost's, and the Dexter was for protection if a canoe were to attempt to strangle me with its painter. Today they're going to the market garden with me. I expect the Frost's will handle most of the work.
The big strange one has been with me only a couple of years, but should be just the ticket for lopping spent broccoli. (I've scoured and sharpened it since taking this picture.) Except I think I have a reaping hook in the garage that will spare my knees if I can find it.
0yDEdAD.jpg

I agree Jack, Charlie's Ancients are bold, innovative and great carry knives! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the inspirational reminder. :cool:

Here's an Ancient from Charlie's second run.
Nzx1HFX.jpg

rF8FSMb.jpg

Wonderfully colored sawcut bone, hammered pins, simulated forged bolsters and a replicated blade grind transport me to a golden era of knife making each time I hold one. Thank you Charlie (@waynorth), Tom Sawyer never had it so good! :)

Great post, and a beautiful knife :) :thumbsup:

- nice one, Jack.............always enjoy your out n about pics

And.........another Friday, just like that..!

Let's hope for us, in the UK, the next four Fridays come and go as well and as quick and conveniently as possible :thumbsup::cool:

Thanks buddy, I'll join you in that wish :thumbsup: The background of that pic is the dam (or millpond) of the historic Abbeydale Scythe Works in Sheffield :) I love that triple-rattail bolster, great-looking knife :cool: :thumbsup:

I've had the Frost's and the Dexter forever. I liked the looks of the Frost's, and the Dexter was for protection if a canoe were to attempt to strangle me with its painter. Today they're going to the market garden with me. I expect the Frost's will handle most of the work.
The big strange one has been with me only a couple of years, but should be just the ticket for lopping spent broccoli. (I've scoured and sharpened it since taking this picture.) Except I think I have a reaping hook in the garage that will spare my knees if I can find it.
0yDEdAD.jpg

Nice Old Friends Jer, I have several Frosts from the same era. The bottom knife looks very interesting :thumbsup:

Looks like Barlow Day around here...

That is a really cool knife, so unique for today's market.

Thank you John :) :thumbsup:

It's hard to believe that this Queen #9 stockman was bought new almost 9 years ago, but it was. I've probably spent more time sharpening it, changing the bevel, thinning it out, than any other three knives I own. But now that it's right, it's definitely an "old friend."

GXG3Xsb.jpg

And shown again here with it's more refined cousin from S&M.

TDERgOy.jpg

A few years ago I was gifted this one by my "not-so" old friend @herder , thanks Neal :D:thumbsup: Going to be in pocket today if I actually go anywhere. This pandemic has affected my knives a lot too since I've just been working from home and going to the store once a week :( I think I should start selecting one and setting it on the desk in front of me each day LoL.

PREMIER.JPG

A few years ago I was gifted this one by my "not-so" old friend @herder , thanks Neal :D:thumbsup: Going to be in pocket today if I actually go anywhere. This pandemic has affected my knives a lot too since I've just been working from home and going to the store once a week :( I think I should start selecting one and setting it on the desk in front of me each day LoL.

View attachment 1454172

He's a generous feller Kevin :) Nice knife :) :thumbsup:

It must have been the early 80s when I realized I had mis-matched steel on this 44ot. I remember dipping it in vinegar between medieval congress sessions.
OHvMIe2.jpg

I kind of went off it, but it's still a nice knife.
That is a nice knife Jer... don't think I have seen an Old Timer with a wharncliffe and sheepfoot blade; that's pretty awesome :):thumbsup: I'm going to have to look for one of those!

That is a nice knife Jer... don't think I have seen an Old Timer with a wharncliffe and sheepfoot blade; that's pretty awesome :):thumbsup: I'm going to have to look for one of those!
Thanks. If the Swinden keys (apologies if I've got the wrong vowel there) ever go, it might be worth having someone competent put in real pins.
Looks like they made at least 1000 of this run:
MUIGUqW.jpg

Thanks. If the Swinden keys (apologies if I've got the wrong vowel there) ever go, it might be worth having someone competent put in real pins.
Looks like they made at least 1000 of this run:
MUIGUqW.jpg
They made a special run of 44OT's in the year 2001, I know that doesn't match up with your timeline but here is what I have on the 44OT made from 1990 to 1993 and then the special run of 4000 44OT's in 2001...
upload_2020-11-13_10-23-20.png

Back