Old Hickory Hunting Knife??

Word on the street is Old Hickory is releasing a 5” sheathed version of their iconic Butcher Knife.

Is this already out, in the works, or Pie in The Sky??

A search of “Hunting Knife” on Old Hik’s site netted me nothing.
Same for OKC.
A general Google Fu look netted the same.

Speak to me Oh Great and Knowledgable OKC Folks.

Appreciate the heads up! I have reprofiled and rehandled many Old Hickory blades in more useable knives. This is a welcome addition. I have one on pre order from the Knife Center for right at $30 shipped. No word on when that will be.

Love my OH seven inch butcher, really looking forward to this new offering. An OH and a Mora Classic is one of my favorite combos

JUST GOT MINE TODAY!
Leather sheath is top notch.

Blade is OK. I will have to reprofile it on a diamond stone (one side is ground steeper than the other) but even just cleaning it up on a ceramic stick and stropping it, it was quite sharp.
This is a winner. If you like the Old Hickory butcher knife and wanted a shorter handier blade, this is indeed for you.

Mine came in last week and I'm very happy with the purchase. :D

The quality of the sheath was a very nice surprise that has really exceeded my expectations.

Overall the knife is great. The grind on mine is solid and the blade is nice and thin. Very slicey. The fit and finish of the handle could be a bit better, but this is a $20 knife, so I think it's acceptable. A little sandpaper and it would be just fine. I actually purchased this with the intention of using the blade as a blank and making a new handle, so the handle doesn't matter much to me anyways.

I think OKC did a fantastic job on the knife and it should be great competition and a bit of an upgrade over something like a Morakniv Companion in the bush. Two thumbs up!

JtvmTvK.jpg

dRHvbuD.jpg

Last edited:
Unlikely that knife manufactures in the U.S. would put a sharp edge on the swedge of a knife meant for public sales these days. Many states classify such knives as "double edge" blades and apply additional restrictions regarding them being carried. Many knife owners are not aware of their own States restrictions.

OKC stopped the sharpened swedge on most of their civi sales I believe due to so many states having "EVIL DAGGER!" Laws.

I finally got an SP 5 with out the sharpened swedge because of it. I been stopped by several supposed expert cops seeing my "EVIL DAGGER" of a SP5 and tried to steal it for being an "EVIL DAGGER". Then they accused me of "dulling" the swedge till I pointed out the coating was on it. And ain't dulling the swedge make it not an "EVIL DAGGER" any more if I did it? I think it was their quota they were trying to fill. I found its nice to ride the belt and was mostly testing its veggimatic properties on my property. If I lived in a non "EVIL DAGGER!" free state, my SP-10s would get a sharpened swedge so fast.:D Well all but one, the camp beater that is needed for batoning tyrannicidal botanicals.

Took mine on a camping trip to Leavenworth this past weekend now that I'm feeling better and my wife gave the Old Hickory a test run against the Becker BK62 for slicing avocado and dicing onions and tomatoes. She ended up liking the Old Hickory so much that it's now the designated camp kitchen knife (not all that surprising considering it's based on a popular kitchen knife, lol). That's quite alright with me as it opens up the BK62 for other fun, lol.

The Old Hickory Hunting Knife is a really solid knife and well worth the price. I'd grab one before Ontario and everyone else realizes what a winner this is and they go out of stock or the price increases, lol.

I recently picked up a TON of various scales and blocks so I think I'm going to try to make some new scales for mine once my shoulder is good to go.

Back