Old Historical knives (title edited)

I was doing some thinking one day on how those barrels of Green River knives may have been handled. I really enjoy learning on traditional or primitive skills and repeatedly come across references to spruce root as a binding material.

Being a knife nut, this got me thinking. Seeing paracord,wrapped jute and other knives, I wanted to experiment with spruce root. This was the result. It is very light, very grippy and very comfortable. While it would hold blood or fat, a new handle lies right below your nearest spruce tree.

I really enjoy this knife. It is a great all around camp blade from the kitchen to the field.

2iYm6Kn.jpg

I see that you blessed it with a little blood my friend . Beautiful knife David .

Harry
Yes and only 5 minutes after buying it :rolleyes:
I was sitting in the parking lot opening the blades for the pic and the very sharp tip of the coping blade bit me.
And thanks, its one of my favorite finds,cant remember exactly what I gave for it but I know it was less than 50 dollars. Really blessed with both of those.

I have several other carbon steel butcher knives that would fit this thread. A few of my grandfather's and a few Old Hickory's I have played with.

This one is of particular interest to me. It is stamped Guustahl Solingen. I have not been able to find much regarding a its background.

This knife cuts the way all knives should. A 0.062" this piece of carbon steel full flat ground to very thin behind the edge. 3/4 tang pinned to a wooden handle.

v0bsNMM.jpg

I have several other carbon steel butcher knives that would fit this thread. A few of my grandfather's and a few Old Hickory's I have played with.

This one is of particular interest to me. It is stamped Guustahl Solingen. I have not been able to find much regarding a its background.

This knife cuts the way all knives should. A 0.062" this piece of carbon steel full flat ground to very thin behind the edge. 3/4 tang pinned to a wooden handle.

v0bsNMM.jpg

Gussstahl (Gußstahl in correct German) means cast steel.

1. Please do not comment on the way these got mounted in this picture frame. I was not a part of that and it pains me greatly.
2. These were my grandfathers and he passed away in 1955 so they have been around a while now. He probably used at least one of these to butcher Mary Jane. That was one of the hogs he raised.

Back