Old Kershaw wild turkey

cut it out

Gold Member
Well been cleaning today and came across this old Kershaw lock back I bought off the snap on tool truck in 92. He always had some knives on the truck and said this was on the truck for a few years when I bought it. It was new but was in the display area he had. Anyways it’s really a nice little knife. Very thin and discrete in pocket. Not one for branding on knives but this isn’t to bad. Anyone else have one of these?
sBKDqR1.jpg

Nice knife. I really like the small barlow style lockback. Wished they still made that model.

I did get, long ago, a Kershaw Crown (also dc). Nice barlow style linerlock.
Rich

Last edited:
Yeah it’s a great knife. Reminds me of a Al-mar kinda. It’s been used nd carries a lot over the years. Has served me well.

Yeah it’s a great knife. Reminds me of a Al-mar kinda. It’s been used nd carries a lot over the years. Has served me well.

That may well be. I mind that mid-lock. Al Mar used that.

Al Mar outsourced production to G Sakai in Seki City, who also made knives for Gerber. Al Mar got his start in the knife industry working for Gerber.

Pete Kershaw also started out working for Gerber, and also had his knives made in Seki City.

I have owned a couple of Kershaw Wild Turkeys.
Extremely soft and buttery walk and talk - as smooth as Silk.
The second one I gifted To my good friends Lady as she likes to carry a particular pocket knife- unfortunately the Lockbacks mechanism fell to bits after a couple of years use - which was surprising as she did look after her knife as well!

Last edited:
I've got one I'm sure I bought off a Snap On truck in the mid 80's.
No Snap On branding, just Kershaw.
It's been abused in the worst ways over the years and has a little blade play but still very operational.
I have a picture on Imgur somewhere, it'll take me a while to find it though.
Probably easier to find the knife and snap some new ones.

Also it’s very well built. Says Japan on other side and it’s very well made. Not sure of the steel as it doesn’t say.
1J8pEEi.jpg

On the pile side of the tang is stamped "4150".

4150 is a steel. C: 0.48-0.53; Cr: 0.80-1.10; Mo: 0.15-0.25; Mn:0.75-1.00; P: 0.035; S: 0.15-0.35.

It's a medium carbon steel, not stainless, probably tough but not very abrasive resistant.

Dan.

I do not have a Wild Turkey, but I have a Gerber Silver Knight from the 90s that looks very similar. Japan made, so I wonder if it is what made by the same company in Seki.

On the pile side of the tang is stamped "4150".

4150 is a steel. C: 0.48-0.53; Cr: 0.80-1.10; Mo: 0.15-0.25; Mn:0.75-1.00; P: 0.035; S: 0.15-0.35.

It's a medium carbon steel, not stainless, probably tough but not very abrasive resistant.

Dan.
I have some of that series of knives, purchased new, though not via Snap-on. Could 4150 be a model number, rather than the steel designation? I think they were made from AUS-6A, an unfortunate choice for otherwise very nicely designed and built knives. Even AUS-8A would have been more acceptable. I recall purchasing one of the models that had some sloppiness of fit. I sent it directly back to Kershaw and received a replacement that was virtually perfect.

I have some of that series of knives, purchased new, though not via Snap-on. Could 4150 be a model number, rather than the steel designation? I think they were made from AUS-6A, an unfortunate choice for otherwise very nicely designed and built knives. Even AUS-8A would have been more acceptable. I recall purchasing one of the models that had some sloppiness of fit. I sent it directly back to Kershaw and received a replacement that was virtually perfect.
Yes, AUS-6A.
57-58 hardness
4150 is the model.
Mine doesn't dull all that easily even with the lower grade steel so maybe the hardness has something to do with it.
I'm no metallurgy expert here, just an end user.;)

I won a 4150 that someone modded with stag scales. The movement is silky smooth, and the look is elegant. Not one to use in a survival situation.

Thanks for all the input. It’s been a great pocket knife know matter what steel it is. Lol. I don’t do any hard use tasks with it but it’s done some heavy duty cutting and has taken it no problems.

Back