"Old Knives"

Been absent from this favorite thread for too long to comment on so many incredible knives that have been shown, but what a great showing from all!!!

Here is a knife that is fairly spectacular for a variety of reasons. First, always a treat to find an example which has been tucked away and unused for a great length of time. This model dates to the WWII era and was found with the original box as a wonderful bonus. Camillus made this example for Sears probably within a year or two after WWII. Not only does it have nickel silver liners, but there is beautiful jimping running down the center of the backspring. By 1947, Sears had advertised their knives with brass liners so this model would predate that time which makes sense since brass was in short supply following the war. Camillus doesn't always get the credit they deserve in making knives on par with the best American companies, and this particular camper model has a fit and finish that would rival the same era Case or Remington made knives. Newer Sears knives had jigged synthetic handles, but this earlier one has quality jigged bone handles and a nice oval nickel silver shield. The punch blade has a neat spiral cut on the back side with the words "Spiral Punch" stamped in the blade tang. The main blade stamp reads "High Carbon Steel U.S.A." and the "CRAFSTMAN STA-SHARP" blade etch is crisp and clear.
Campbellclanman has posted several fantastic Sears and Camillus made knives, and this model just follows suit.

View attachment 1458394

View attachment 1458395

View attachment 1458396

View attachment 1458397
Even though is a time warp example it still carrier's its age, real sense of solidity to it. What's the walk and talk like and did it need much flush/clean and lube?

This little NYK belongs in this thread. 3 1/4" closed. It's my stag Saturday carry today.
e0JMF2f.jpg
lYLbL8W.jpg
Beautiful piece, what pattern would that be referred to as?

Thanks for the nice comments all.
btb01, nothing beats a knife that has been passed down through the family.
V.P., great examples in those Camillus and Craftsman models.
Augie, fantastic Sta-Sharp model with a bonus box.
Campbellclanman, very cool Camillus with neat slant bolsters.
rockman0, very nice NYK senator model.

In following with the Sears and Camillus theme, here is another WWII era Sears cattleman model. While not quite as fancy as the Sta-sharp models, these early Craftsman folders were still quite well made.
This one dates to about 1947 and has genuine bone handles and brass liners. By 1948, this model was seen with jigged synthetic handles which were a close copy to genuine bone.

BF Sears Craftsman 9526 and Box .jpg
BF Sears Craftsman 9526 Front .jpg

BF Sears Craftsman 9526 Back .jpg

I have been searching for one of these Ulster Girl Scout knives for quite a while (for a reasonable price). The "sellers" seem to think they are made of gold and generally ask upwards of $150 to $200. I don't think they are worth that much, even with a blade etch. But I was finally able to get a hold of one for the price of a tank of gas :D Just love the Ulster craftsmanship and the bone is really great on this one :)

UGS1.JPG UGS1A.JPG UGS1B.JPG UGS1C.JPG

Wow! Herder you are really pulling them out the bag, again what an amazing specimen- and again with the Box!!! :eek:
I did a bit of study on those Chrome Vanadium Etched Knives, I owe you an e-mail my friend so we will catch up soon, hope all is well!

Kev, you picked up some nice ones there, I picked up a while ago an Empire Girls scout Knife that I was quite happy to score!

Charlie pulls out the Daddy of HJ's with that Napanoch Punch- man that is simply amazing that Knife Charlie!

:eek: :thumbsup: to everyone!

Thanks Kevin, I hadn't thought about the main being on the pile side, definitely a gents knife and I'm finding the little tip of the nail file useful on an unruly nail.

By the way, congrats on the Girl Scout knife, it's a beauty:eek:
Interesting that the "main" blade opens from the pile side... that knife was made for manicuring when stepping out on the town :cool::thumbsup:

Back