"Old Knives"

You did good with that surprise knife, I too like to take that kind of gamble from time to time. Pleasantly surprised.

:eek::eek:

Well you know the saying Mike, finders keepers....:D
;):D

Nice old knife, Rob!! It could easily be from the first iteration of Northfield - Un-X-LD, ca.1858 to 1918. Interesting that Northfield was established about the same time as Empire, and both in Connecticut!!
Quite a wave of English cutlers "came over" at that time!!:rolleyes:

Thanks Charlie :thumbsup:
;):D

Nice old knife, Rob!! It could easily be from the first iteration of Northfield - Un-X-LD, ca.1858 to 1918. Interesting that Northfield was established about the same time as Empire, and both in Connecticut!!
Quite a wave of English cutlers "came over" at that time!!:rolleyes:

Cattle knives from the Lamb collection. Both cleaned at some point. They make good totin knives:thumbsup:

xei8E9W.jpg

Xm9qLg0.jpg

NYK certainly had some beautiful bone ! Thanks Duncan :thumbsup:
And both very nice examples my friend. I would be proud owning those - the Bone on both Knives are simply gorgeous!

The spear is 3 5/8" the clip is 3 1/2". Here's a comparison shot.
Thanks Jeff:thumbsup:

T8aIT39.jpg

Spectacular, rock, the bone on the first one is just perfect! Are they 3-5/8?

Santa showed up on Christmas Eve with an interesting old knife, and if I'm correct in my research, it's a centenarian.

A toothsome 3 1/4" sleeveboard whittler.
Looking at the tang stamp, I wasn't sure of the name "Corto"? but surmised that E.Tuna might be an abbreviation for Eskilstuna, the cutlery center of Sweden. That made sense, since those stovepipe kicks don't look American made. Spending a quiet Xmas morning going down the Google rabbit hole led me to the name C.O.Ryd (Carl Otto Ryd 1855-1918) who produced knives in Eskilstuna between 1876 to 1918. This folding knife is especially rare, because it's one of the few of its era to not have a corkscrew. :D
u47iQSY.jpg

1zevGjF.jpg

VjLM1ag.jpg

Bw8PGy2.jpg

It's in decent condition, and I'm quite pleased to have it. Merry Christmas to all the Old Knife Knuts!

Beautiful old whittler Rachel:thumbsup: Nice toothy covers and in very good condition :thumbsup:
Merry Christmas !

Santa showed up on Christmas Eve with an interesting old knife, and if I'm correct in my research, it's a centenarian.

Looking at the tang stamp, I wasn't sure of the name "Corto"? but surmised that E.Tuna might be an abbreviation for Eskilstuna, the cutlery center of Sweden. That made sense, since those stovepipe kicks don't look American made. Spending a quiet Xmas morning going down the Google rabbit hole led me to the name C.O.Ryd (Carl Otto Ryd 1855-1918) who produced knives in Eskilstuna between 1876 to 1918. This folding knife is especially rare, because it's one of the few of its era to not have a corkscrew. :D
u47iQSY.jpg

1zevGjF.jpg

VjLM1ag.jpg

Bw8PGy2.jpg

It's in decent condition, and I'm quite pleased to have it. Merry Christmas to all the Old Knife Knuts!

Beautiful old whittler Rachel:thumbsup: Nice toothy covers and in very good condition :thumbsup:
Merry Christmas !

Santa was good to you Rachel!!
Joyeux Noël!!:cool:

What a great old Whittler r8shell, I love those Whittlers where the Spine gets so Thick at the Pivot end to match the two Springs! Stovepipes I really like - always have! Ivory makes it something special as well.:thumbsup:
Thanks, guys! Analyzing seller's blurry photos and vague descriptions is always a gamble, but I had a good feeling about it. ;) I've been using oil and toothpicks to clean a lot of black crusty stuff from the inside of the springs and it's getting some snap back to all three blades.

u47iQSY.jpg

1zevGjF.jpg

VjLM1ag.jpg

Bw8PGy2.jpg

Love the way the main blade in that pattern has such a thick stock at the tang and is ground so nicely for the edge.

Back