"Old Knives"

I don't think the two Crookes were related.

Jonathan Crookes
Brookes & Crookes Ltd

I'm afraid I don't know the origin and significance of that hallmark, but it is pretty cool.
Perhaps our resident Sheffield historian @Jack Black knows?

That's a very cool Lamp Post knife! :cool::thumbsup:
My bad, assumed they were related.
Isint it funny to look at that ink eraser which was ubiquitous in everyday use (170 yrs back?) and now its a mystery object to most who see it today.
Interesting to read in your link of J. C's strict Methodist work ethic and unwillingness to cut corners in the name of expansion. Got to like that!
Gotta be one of the best trademarks. Love it from a duality/yin-yang perspective, even if it's just my take?
The Richartz is a fun piece for me as it pre dates the move to Sheffield (I assume...) and is small but packs a big punch. The trademark is a winner too.

Isint it funny to look at that ink eraser which was ubiquitous in everyday use (170 yrs back?) and now its a mystery object to most who see it today.
Oh, absolutely. I sometimes look at all the common objects around me and wonder what will be so obsolete, perhaps in just a generation or two.

Augie my friend, another batch of goodies, Like Charlie says - The Miller Bone is Gorgeous, I wonder just how hard it would be to hand jig Bone? With the proper equipment I could imagine one would be able to end up ( after some practice of course) doing some nice work on Bone!
That Catt is pretty darned nice too- like Paul said the ulster Stabber is one that reaches out to me as well, I have a couple of very nice Stabbers now - they dont come up all that often and they are such a nice Knife - as yours is!

Nice Jacks, Augie Augie !!:thumbsup:
That Miller pickbone is outstanding!!:eek:
Imagine if GEC, or someone figured that one out for modern traditionals!!:D

Charlie, I sure wish GEC could, imagine a GEC with bone like that or some nice Schrade or NYK bone.

Duncan, thanks for the comments, I think hand jigging would just be too labor intensive to be profitable, does make you wonder how Miller Bros or other manufacturers did it, of course labor was cheap back then.

North Shore, thank you, another thing I really like is the nail nick on the Ulster main, a different cut than I am used to seeing, more of an oval.

IMG_2865.jpeg

Nice Knife Steve my friend. Cattle’s are simply awesome Knives. I have a couple of squared font ( or more often called Block Letter ) Font knives somewhere.

The Bone in your knife is such typical Boker - Gorgeous, and I really like the Slanted Bolsters on this Knife !

Thanks guys, Dave I love the bone on the Schatt, probably the first knife I've seen with really deep linear jigging that I've cared for.

Wow, those have some really great jigged bone! I wonder how much of the allure is patina related, or in other words, did the bone look like that when new?

Back