"Old Knives"

Hi, i was wondering if anyone knew anything about challenge cutlery company? I found a three blade pocket knife in decent condition and cleaned it up and sharpened it. I just cant seem find out a whole lot about it.
Challenge Cutlery Co is a great old knife manufacturer that made knives from about 1867 to 1928. They originated in Sheffield, England but became a pretty prominent name around the turn of the century for their knives manufactured in Connecticut. We like pictures ;):D

Nice knife Les :) I did a lot of research on Crucible Knives a few years ago and could not find out a lot of definitive information on them. Goins says that it was a name used in the late 1920's by WT Grant department stores (which eventually became K-Mart). After a bunch of side by side pictures back then I came to the conclusion that they are likely tied to Utica Cutlery Co / Seneca Cutlery somehow.

There was one rabbit hole I was going down (and started to again this AM LoL) regarding Sanderson Brothers Steel Co which was established in Syracuse, NY in 1876. The Sanderson Bros had deep Sheffield roots and ties to well known cutlers. They were described as a company that made "high quality steel" and were eventually "absorbed" by the Crucible Steel Company of America in 1900. Below are a couple links that made me intrigued about the thought, but I just think the 1926 timeline that Goins gives to the tang stamp does not jive with the Sanderson Bros theory and I would think A LOT more examples of Crucible Knife Co knives would be around. Perhaps the steel for the knives were actually contracted from Crucible Steel Co. by Utica or other manufacturer? o_O Just another one of those mysteries that continues to make me intrigued by "Old Knives" and their history.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Sanderson_Brothers_and_Co

http://www.crucible.com/history.aspx?c=17

Challenge Cutlery Co is a great old knife manufacturer that made knives from about 1867 to 1928. They originated in Sheffield, England but became a pretty prominent name around the turn of the century for their knives manufactured in Connecticut. We like pictures ;):D

I would love to post a picture but to be honest im not completely sure how to do it. It keeps saying i have not added any media yet.

I would love to post a picture but to be honest im not completely sure how to do it. It keeps saying i have not added any media yet.

The best way to post pictures is to use a free photo web host like imgur.

If you go through this thread you will see a lot of Challenge knives. I have several myself. They are usually high quality.

Carried this Challenge yesterday :thumbsup:

Sig0yJ8.jpg

Terry if you use the image box to insert the address your picture will show up like this

jKSme0s.jpg
Thank you for the information. Ill have to take some better photos of it too. Youd think with me owning a professional camera my first idea would have been to do it some justice and take a different picture but nope.

Terry if you use the image box to insert the address your picture will show up like this

jKSme0s.jpg
Thank you for the information. Ill have to take some better photos of it too. Youd think with me owning a professional camera my first idea would have been to do it some justice and take a different picture but nope.

Back