"Old Knives"

Picked up this minty Cattaraugus electricians knife recently
mHVWysT.jpg

I would pick it up, too! Very few of those have torx screwdrivers, sadly. Nice knife! I think one of those in lesser condition would be a good candidate for grinding the screwdriver into a 'somewhat' pen blade.

Picked up this minty Cattaraugus electricians knife recently
mHVWysT.jpg

That's a Sweet One P & G - super cool! I like to pick up inly very nice TL's when and if I can my friend, I too scored a extremely tidy Catt, along with a extremely tidy Case as well- two finer more refined models they are at that!

4smp02D.jpg

zEhbpc3.jpg

Both I think have not had any use!

FK7fmYX.jpg

A couple of other very nice ones- these are slightly bigger - the usual sized TL-29's, that Beautiful Bone example was gifted to me by Mr. Paul Hilborn believe it or not- Incredibly generous Soul that he is!

VVwQnQl.jpg

Ooops, found this photo too!.....

N6wsyEw.jpg

Last edited:
I would pick it up, too! Very few of those have torx screwdrivers, sadly. Nice knife! I think one of those in lesser condition would be a good candidate for grinding the screwdriver into a 'somewhat' pen blade.

You are dead right Cal matey- How are you?, hope you are well my friend, here is a TL-29 that lives in my Car Console, it had a Broken off Screwdriver end, so I reshaped it to a more of a Clip so I could have two alternative Blades rather than a Spear Main and a Pen, I have a more of a Clip Point and a Spear Main, both these Blades sharpen up insanely, and its a well used Knife!

ct6OyYP.jpg

MldYxLp.jpg

QKCslCR.jpg

That's a Sweet One P & G - super cool! I like to pick up inly very nice TL's when and if I can my friend, I too scored a extremely tidy Catt, along with a extremely tidy Case as well- two finer more refined models they are at that!

4smp02D.jpg

zEhbpc3.jpg

Both I think have not had any use!

FK7fmYX.jpg

A couple of other very nice ones- these are slightly bigger - the usual sized TL-29's, that Beautiful Bone example was gifted to me by Mr. Paul Hilborn believe it or not- Incredibly generous Soul that he is!

VVwQnQl.jpg

Ooops, found this photo too!.....

N6wsyEw.jpg

You are dead right Cal matey- How are you?, hope you are well my friend, here is a TL-29 that lives in my Car Console, it had a Broken off Screwdriver end, so I reshaped it to a more of a Clip so I could have two alternative Blades rather than a Spear Main and a Pen, I have a more of a Clip Point and a Spear Main, both these Blades sharpen up insanely, and its a well used Knife!

ct6OyYP.jpg

MldYxLp.jpg

QKCslCR.jpg

Very nice Duncan, thanks for sharing those. Your Catt looks like a bit fancier version with shield and a swedge. Nice save on the old Craftsman looks like a good mod.

It is shown on page 37 of Schrade CutCo Catalog E, which was first(?) published in 1926. The other answer would be "between 1904 and 1946."
So getting on or even more than 100 yrs, how cool.
Whatever I carry lately has to have a manicuring blade, sounds weird I know, and I love the look of that one.
As we say here "well wear and enjoy" it.

Cal that's a sweetheart of a Knife, there's a lot going on in that small frame - shows the skill of the Cutlers doesn't it!
A great knife in very nice condition- and yet not totally mint so you don't have to stress putting it in your pocket!

Cal, that Senator is a beaut, amazing the MOP survived all these years.

Picked up this Simmons Hardware Co, not really sure how to date it, may be at the very beginning of Simmons using the KeenKutter brand. There is the remnants of an etch, I can read Hand Hammered and while doing some research found another knife with a KeenKutter Hand Hammered etch with the KK being above the Hand Hammered. Wonder if this might be Walden made.

IMG_3065.jpeg IMG_3064.jpeg IMG_3060.jpeg

Beautiful Simmons, Augie!:thumbsup: In my opinion it was likely made by Walden. I have a theory for Keen Kutter stamped knives, based on a fairly small sample size, that the ones with an etched pattern number, or no pattern number, are early and Walden made. I have, though, seen knives stamped Walden with stamped pattern numbers? Not sure if that throws my theory out the window or not?

Great knives above as usual :) - Cal that is one sweet Schrade and actually prompted me to share the following knife... Augie - Love those big spear blades - those big unsharpened blades are awesome - Like others I call them tribal spears :cool: ...

A knife to share that no doubt has a rarity factor associated with it and most notably made by or for an old Boston MA Trade store, Dame Stoddard & Kendall, that is known as having the oldest cutlery store in the country ;-)) …

Just a little background - Dame Stoddard & Kendall - (1881-1901 by Goins)… Dame Stoddard & Kendall known for their fishing tackle and cutlery were pre-dated by Bradfords in the early 1800s followed by Bradford & Anthony in 1856. Bradford & Anthony became the firm Dame, Stoddard & Kendall in 1881 and subsequently became Dame, Stoddard & Co in 1900. - and so this knife dates somewhere between 1881-1900. The company later changed the name to Stoddards and even today a small branch of Stoddards still sells cutlery in MA. As I noted DS&K was most known for fishing equipment and cutlery though sold other outdoor equipment as well (skates was another advertised item). The company imported and manufactured a variety of household goods, including hardware and cutlery, and sporting goods, such as fishing tackle, bicycles, and skating equipment. DS&K was considered high end in terms of quality and at least in terms of their fly fishing rods many were made by notable bamboo rod makers of that time (the other half of my brain is all about fly fishing - while the other half focuses on knives LOL ;-) … Supposedly DS&K had their own cutlery & their logo was “HUB Hand Hammered” (as seen on box) but they were also clearly known as agents for fine quality American and European items.

This knife is a multiblade pen knife at 2” so indeed a small knife (I have no relevant item for a size comparison in photo so keep "small" in mind ;) ). I would coinsider this a gentleman or ladies knife (often I understand you would find these type of knives in women’s sewing boxes but not necessarily). Tortoise shell handles with gold foil underneath as seen in photo and a shape which is to my eye abit unusual but not sure what to call it - almost a Wharncliffe-like serpentine shape but really can’t find others with a similar style pattern at the moment either… One friend of mine considers it a unique type of lobster pattern but not sure I agree - would be curious to hear other thoughts from folks here. The knife has 3 springs and one is split to allow the small pen blade to open to a point where it could be easily used - see 3 photos below which maybe makes it more clear. In a sense it reminds me of a lobster pattern but it is not. The knife has 8 implements (for a 2” knife :cool: ) - 2 blades, a glove or button hook, scissors, corkscrew, manicure blade, tweezers and a pick (note the pick is missing but not surprised as those are often lost).. The knife appeared not be be used very much at all and definitely not sharpened much if at all - it still has original factory polish/finish despite a few spots of tarnish/staining… everything has super snap after light oiling (yes Quick Release for those interested) and even the inside of the handle still has lots of shine, aka original factory polish… Not mint but no doubt lightly used with little to no sharpening...

Just a side note - I bought the DS&K box before I scored this DS&K knife - not my usual mantra and in fact I don’t chase cutlery boxes like knives - but do grab them when the right opportunity exists ;-) .. and like many have experienced in knife hunting (and I know Augie certainly has ;-) - I had never seen a DS&K knife nor box and then within 4 months I separately score both - sometimes knife collecting is very strange and not the first time that a rare item shows up and within months it snowballs in that more appear - Hmnnn - some may call it karma… but sometimes you just get lucky ;-))

1uA2oyf.jpg

qRZJotR.jpg

5y7QFhB.jpg

Here's a few photos trying to show the small pen blade spring and how it was designed to open the small blade a usable distance:

qfXocjB.jpg

rpvuEBQ.jpg

laQ3vFO.jpg

File with tang stamp:

75hexuF.jpg

mmlIiGf.jpg

FL10S7W.jpg

Top down view:

5jA0PsS.jpg

Writing on Blade:
I didn't mention this above but it looks like the blade had writing on it - a salesman sample or ????

N0dZKSg.jpg

DS&K Box:

74zFKZA.jpg

Cheers - Lee

Here is a Keen Kutter with a Hand Hammered etch. It has no pattern number and I believe was Walden made. It has been previously posted in this thread, back somewhere around page 300 or so.

View attachment 1498966 View attachment 1498969 View attachment 1498970

Dan, thank you so much for your detailed reply, beautiful knives you have:thumbsup:. I'm thinking right now that the etch I have may be like the first example you have shown, I will have to see if my method for exposing etch may shed some light on it especially now that I have your great examples.

What is your opinion on the use of Simmons Hardware Co tang stamp? Is that an early tang stamp?

Dan, thank you so much for your detailed reply, beautiful knives you have:thumbsup:. I'm thinking right now that the etch I have may be like the first example you have shown, I will have to see if my method for exposing etch may shed some light on it especially now that I have your great examples.

What is your opinion on the use of Simmons Hardware Co tang stamp? Is that an early tang stamp?

That stamp has always been confusing to me and I really don't have an informed opinion. Levine says c.1890 - 1940. However, he also says they were made in Germany, which can't be, as there is no country of origin on them. Goins has many different iterations of Simmons Hardware, but, to me none of them really fit for your knife. The only mention Sellens makes of this stamp is on a secondary line from 1935 - 1942, with Simmons etched on the master blade. Also not applicable to your knife. I would agree with you that the font on your etch appears more similar to the first one I posted, however, it also appears to have spun pins?, I think? I only have one Simmons era bone handled Keen Kutter with spun pins. The rest are peened. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Here is my Simmons Hardware Co. jack.

RIMG1394.JPG

Back