"Old Knives"

tongueriver tongueriver
Thank you for the thoughts, good info
:cool::thumbsup:

I have been reading from the start of this most amazing thread, as I’m new here and just started. Being older than oneself was then considered an “old knife”, is that right ?
I have some goodies on the way that may qualify.

QUOTE - ed_is_dead ed_is_dead ;

Can any of you old knife aficionados shed any light on this maker for me? - QUOTE
H.C, and Superior come up separately as Companies from Germany!
What looks like Steel pins in Nickel bolsters on your knife is a common characteristic of older German knives. Sadly, I can find no other history! Nice knife; - how long?

QUOTE - ed_is_dead ed_is_dead ;

Can any of you old knife aficionados shed any light on this maker for me? - QUOTE
H.C, and Superior come up separately as Companies from Germany!
What looks like Steel pins in Nickel bolsters on your knife is a common characteristic of older German knives. Sadly, I can find no other history! Nice knife; - how long?
Waynorth, thanks, you are a star, polaris even!
3 inch closed so she's a shortie.
I did not realise the characteristic of a steel pin in nickle as a tell! Yet another fact to file away. Again, thank you sir, I'd spent ages looking it up with no joy

Thanks for the measure - I couldn't quite line it up with your ruler.
H.C.Superior is listed as a stamping or marking with no explanation, in Goins' book - "Goins' Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings"

Looks like the early 'wavy red' Delrin from here. They made molds for that type of 'jigging' from real bone jigged covers. In my opinion it made the nicest Delrin of any knife covers by anyone anywhere any time. Edit: Sorry; I seem to have gone off on a tangent concerning knives that don't really qualify as "OLD" knives.
I like the "wavy red Delrin" description Cal :D Is it sad that people would know what that actually meant? LoL Ironically I just opened this actual wavy red trapper about an hour ago :):thumbsup:

SWTRAP.JPG

tongueriver tongueriver
Thank you for the thoughts, good info
:cool::thumbsup:

I have been reading from the start of this most amazing thread, as I’m new here and just started. Being older than oneself was then considered an “old knife”, is that right ?
I have some goodies on the way that may qualify.
I like to think of Schrade Walden's as being acceptable of "old"... it's almost been 50 years since they dropped the "Walden" and they are an important and iconic name in knife history ;)

Last edited:
Back