"Old Knives"

Mike, I admire your dogged pursuit of specific knife patterns and companies.
P&G, nice find. I've always wanted one of the larger Napanoch sets, but no luck so far. Here a Ulery:
yktlAI7.jpg
oQvFZYV.jpg

3 Small whittlers from my last mail call, I posted them in the whittler thread and thought they belong here as well. Not sure who made the Schmid but it's a very high quality knife with the prettiest pearl of my dozen or so pearl knives.
Interesting combination of stamps on the pearl NYK, the hammer brand stamp and the earlier arched NYK stamp together is a combo I've not seen before. It must have been assembled as they were transitioning to the hammer brand logo.

J M Schmid and son 3" closed.
Ck1Rvt4.jpg
DItGT0R.jpg
NIPAf0B.jpg

New York Knife Co 2 5/8" closed.
H7Vztc5.jpg
Dvacxu0.jpg
7j6EgFV.jpg

Another New York Knife Co 3 1/8" closed.
3BHKsqF.jpg
ZjtUw3b.jpg
SW3e6Jb.jpg

3 Small whittlers from my last mail call, I posted them in the whittler thread and thought they belong here as well. Not sure who made the Schmid but it's a very high quality knife with the prettiest pearl of my dozen or so pearl knives.
Interesting combination of stamps on the pearl NYK, the hammer brand stamp and the earlier arched NYK stamp together is a combo I've not seen before. It must have been assembled as they were transitioning to the hammer brand logo.

Ck1Rvt4.jpg
DItGT0R.jpg
NIPAf0B.jpg

H7Vztc5.jpg
Dvacxu0.jpg
7j6EgFV.jpg

3BHKsqF.jpg
ZjtUw3b.jpg
SW3e6Jb.jpg
These look great! Nice condition too

Thank you all for the nice comments on the Remington.

Here you go Kevin, took some newer pics this morning. This set is unusual in so many ways, Ulster Knife Co tang stamp, pattern numbers on back of tang except the one arm, both blades tang stamped, later knives only have main stamped, great grinds to the blades, never seen another of the one arms. They are higher quality than the later knives.
Thanks again Charlie!!!

View attachment 1539869 View attachment 1539870 View attachment 1539871 View attachment 1539872 View attachment 1539873 View attachment 1539874
Wow, love the deep rich colours on these, a beautiful set!

Ck1Rvt4.jpg
DItGT0R.jpg
NIPAf0B.jpg

H7Vztc5.jpg
Dvacxu0.jpg
7j6EgFV.jpg

3BHKsqF.jpg
ZjtUw3b.jpg
SW3e6Jb.jpg

Real nice Rob, love the NYK.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ck1Rvt4.jpg
DItGT0R.jpg
NIPAf0B.jpg

H7Vztc5.jpg
Dvacxu0.jpg
7j6EgFV.jpg

3BHKsqF.jpg
ZjtUw3b.jpg
SW3e6Jb.jpg
Fantastic Whittlers!
The J M Schmid is especially interesting. I don't remember seeing a single bolster whittler before.

Nice Knives being shown!
What a lovely wee Remington Unchained!
Those Whittlers are little beauts Rob, wonderfully made by a talented Cutler/s for sure.
Nice Big Old Miller there Dwight, man... wasnt Mikes post on his Millers impressive, I have never seen- and to be Honest - heard of the Gravity Miller.

Thanks Augie:thumbsup: The tiny 2 5/8 NYK multi blades display excellent craftsmanship:thumbsup: seems those were made by their best cutlers.
Real nice Rob, love the NYK.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Mike:thumbsup: they sure turned out some fine knives, right in there with the best of the day:thumbsup:
Those are all great scores Rob. I’m partial towards the nyk co knives as well.

Thanks Rachel:thumbsup: barehead sleeveboard whittlers seem to be an unusual pattern :thumbsup: it has nice sunk joints too.
Fantastic Whittlers!
The J M Schmid is especially interesting. I don't remember seeing a single bolster whittler before.

Thanks Dwight:thumbsup: that's a beautiful Miller bros:thumbsup: I had my eye on one with peach seed bone and let it slip away:(
Beautiful diminutive whittlers Rob. I especially like the last one with the creamy scales.

I am happy to post this Miller Bros.View attachment 1543675View attachment 1543676

Thanks Duncan :thumbsup: I'm with you on Mike's Millers:eek:
Nice Knives being shown!
What a lovely wee Remington Unchained!
Those Whittlers are little beauts Rob, wonderfully made by a talented Cutler/s for sure.
Nice Big Old Miller there Dwight, man... wasnt Mikes post on his Millers impressive, I have never seen- and to be Honest - heard of the Gravity Miller.

I have been waiting for this one to arrive, I was very pleased to come across this one, I was so kindly gifted a well loved version of this knife that was worn away to almost nothing- and yet still an incredible piece.

I understand that a lot of my Knife friends may think this isn't too much to be excited over, but.... for me this Knife hasn't been an easy one to come across, and is the very best yet I myself have managed to obtain, and is an important part of my sears range of Knives.
The Sears range of Knives was immense as we know, but for me to find an example like this has been hard, it has the earlier Sears Brand name Stamping of: STA- SHARP ( over ) S.R & Co.

The Stag is perfectly Hafted, so very thin to the Liners- and wonderful examples of Stag at that, the Knife has been used, but still in nice condition.
The Doglegs Frame is very nicely finished with coined Liners and the Center Liner has extra treatment.

The Main Blade is Sabre Ground on the Mark side, and Flat Ground Pile side, the Pen Blade is a Wharncliffe Shape with a nice Curve. Definitely a very nice example of early Camillus's work specifically made for Sears Roebuck.

9GsUNIx.jpg

cSlKAuN.jpg

jyzoJ7Z.jpg

hvcyVQy.jpg

gvJ0UkG.jpg

Here is my other example - as worn as this Knife is- I think this Knife still commands respect! you can see why once I had this that if I were lucky enough to come across a decent example I would have to pounce....

ZoZIEaR.jpg

JTm1Xbh.jpg

1yobM1a.jpg

I have been waiting for this one to arrive, I was very pleased to come across this one, I was so kindly gifted a well loved version of this knife that was worn away to almost nothing- and yet still an incredible piece.

I understand that a lot of my Knife friends may think this isn't too much to be excited over, but.... for me this Knife hasn't been an easy one to come across, and is the very best yet I myself have managed to obtain, and is an important part of my sears range of Knives.
The Sears range of Knives was immense as we know, but for me to find an example like this has been hard, it has the earlier Sears Brand name Stamping of: STA- SHARP ( over ) S.R & Co.

The Stag is perfectly Hafted, so very thin to the Liners- and wonderful examples of Stag at that, the Knife has been used, but still in nice condition.
The Doglegs Frame is very nicely finished with coined Liners and the Center Liner has extra treatment.

The Main Blade is Sabre Ground on the Mark side, and Flat Ground Pile side, the Pen Blade is a Wharncliffe Shape with a nice Curve. Definitely a very nice example of early Camillus's work specifically made for Sears Roebuck.

9GsUNIx.jpg

cSlKAuN.jpg

jyzoJ7Z.jpg

hvcyVQy.jpg

gvJ0UkG.jpg

Here is my other example - as worn as this Knife is- I think this Knife still commands respect! you can see why once I had this that if I were lucky enough to come across a decent example I would have to pounce....

ZoZIEaR.jpg

JTm1Xbh.jpg

1yobM1a.jpg

Beautiful and hard to find knives Duncan, love the early tang stamps, congratulations!

Campbellclanman Campbellclanman
Thank you Duncan, that wee Remi is sure a treat with quite the build detail!

Congrats also on that beautiful STA-SHARP find!!
I’m always searching for knives with coined/milled liners, so elusive these days and commanding high figures when for sale. Beautiful examples posted my friend.

Fodderwing Fodderwing
Dwight, what a beauty of a Miller Bros’ !
Those scales and hues are just grand.

Back