"Old Knives"

Augie Augie :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:
if it impresses you, I can only imagine!
Those blades are drawn perfectly... that main’s match—strike is something that should be studied, all of it. Swedge, pull and tooth pattern:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Another of the unusual ones I picked up last week, this one a Humason & Beckley Manufacturing large. 4" stag equal end jack. H&B was around late 1850's until 1912. I see many of their knives with stag and horn covers, more so than other makers of the time. Despite good honest use this heavy jack is still tight and snappy. An unusual feature of this H&B is the match strike pull in the swedge, makes sense from a leverage standpoint.

View attachment 1549558 View attachment 1549559

I like that one a lot John, and another yet to be revealed :eek:. Sounds like you found a good honey hole.

Thanks everyone for the comments and information on Fox, much appreciated. Duncan, no sign of etch but I suspect knife had light cleaning.

Duncan, are any of yours marked Germany? Charlie, is your harness jack marked Germany?

Augie, No- I am sure on all there is no Germany and that they are marked U.S.A, but I will recheck for you! ( and take Photographs of etches, Tangs etc.

Another of the unusual ones I picked up last week, this one a Humason & Beckley Manufacturing large. 4" stag equal end jack. H&B was around late 1850's until 1912. I see many of their knives with stag and horn covers, more so than other makers of the time. Despite good honest use this heavy jack is still tight and snappy. An unusual feature of this H&B is the match strike pull in the swedge, makes sense from a leverage standpoint.

View attachment 1549558 View attachment 1549559

What stunning Stag! it is hard to beat Stag, and as we know there are many different types of Stag- and we all Know good Stag when we see it, but when Stag ages and develops such a beautiful Colour like this great Knife Augie- it reins as the best!

I just snagged this 1960s Schrade Walden 861 stockman in Craftsman disguise! A like new knife, but for a few stains.

0e7fhOZ.jpg

LRaDWUP.jpg

zShaZ9k.jpg

Augie, No- I am sure on all there is no Germany and that they are marked U.S.A, but I will recheck for you! ( and take Photographs of etches, Tangs etc.

What stunning Stag! it is hard to beat Stag, and as we know there are many different types of Stag- and we all Know good Stag when we see it, but when Stag ages and develops such a beautiful Colour like this great Knife Augie- it reins as the best!

It's marked USA, John!!

Duncan, Charlie, thank you, so little known on Fox Cutlery but I'm beginning to think their knives were American made and razors German made.

Last of the 4 knives I picked up last week and this one is the rarest, a Nagle Reblade Knife Company easy open jack, there is more known on this company even though they were only open for a very short time, 1912 to 1916.
Nagle claim to fame was a knife with replaceable blades and they offered many different blades for their knifes. This one is in very nice condition and has good strong pulls and great snap with no play. Interesting that the main blade has long pulls on both sides.
The knives never really took off and apparently when they went out of business they were selling knives at a loss.

An article on Nagle by one of our forum members,
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/content/knife-related-articles/the-nagle-reblade-story/

IMG_3428.jpeg IMG_3430.jpeg IMG_3434.jpeg IMG_3435.jpeg IMG_3436.jpeg IMG_3437.jpeg IMG_3438.jpeg

Last edited:
Last of the 4 knives I picked up last week and this one is the rarest, a Nagle Reblade Knife Company easy open jack, there is more known on this company even though they were only open for a very short time, 1912 to 1916.
Nagle claim to fame was a knife with replaceable blades and they offered many different blades for their knifes. This one is in very nice condition and has good strong pulls and great snap with no play. Interesting that the main blade has long pulls on both sides.
The knives never really took off and apparently when they went out of business they're selling knives at a loss.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/content/knife-related-articles/the-nagle-reblade-story/

View attachment 1550160 View attachment 1550161 View attachment 1550162 View attachment 1550163 View attachment 1550164 View attachment 1550165 View attachment 1550166
Wow! I'd never heard of the Nagle Reblade. What a wonderful example!

Perhaps the reason for pulls on both sides is to accommodate different configurations of reblading. Paired with a longer tool than the bottle opener, one might have to access that main blade from the pile side.

The knives never really took off and apparently when they went out of business they're selling knives at a loss.

View attachment 1550160 View attachment 1550161 View attachment 1550162 View attachment 1550163 View attachment 1550164 View attachment 1550165 View attachment 1550166
AMAZING John:eek::eek::eek::cool::cool::cool: super cool and fantastic article:thumbsup:

Last edited:
0AF00BCD-C8AA-4859-9504-E0276C15737C.jpeg
Augie Augie Wow, very interesting and beautiful knife. Quite a novel idea of swapping out blades. I'd be interested in seeing how the blades are removed and replaced. Looks like maybe they hook over the front pin? Reminds me a bit of the Ulery tool kit knives in function.
Here is a page from the catalog showing how to do it.

Back