"Old Knives"

In full agreement with our friend Un-Chained ( which is a bit scary really - there could be some very dark tea at ons for that name lol )

Ulster rocks!! There is a stunning example of Ulster Whittler! Just how Charlie you get these wonderful examples that don’t seem to have much use is such a mystery - please keep it going kind Sir.

Charlie - No you are not full of it my friend, You are bang on! I love Patina, theres so many angles a Knife can look, as your example with the Patina- and yet little use, or Mint with no use and still retaining factory finish, Patina with sharpening and use- yet still full bladed and wonderful..... it goes on doesn't it!

Charlie- That Punch on the Union Cut Co ? do you have have a Mark side Photo at all? ( please Sir :) )

Charlie- That Punch on the Union Cut Co ? do you have have a Mark side Photo at all? ( please Sir :) )
You mean the pile side, Duncan? Here it is!! The grind is quite flat on this side and eccentric in shape; almost "wharncliffe"in profile.Union Cut Boy Scout 2.jpg
The can opener is pretty small - it'd take a while to get around the can! 🤔

I am sure I have a couple of Early Camillus with that Punch Charlie.

Ok, got it.....
This is a early Camillus America Boy Scout Knife- as the Etch stull faintly tells us, The Punch used a few times on a few earlier Camillus Knives ( that I have seen so far - until the lovely Union Cut co came up)

This Boy scout has different Features - one of them the Punch, the other a wider Spring

K9HwQGF.jpg

Mark Side - not a full photo I'm sorry, but it will make sense ....

LcUX7US.jpg

The etch- if you have a Laptop- try slightly different screen angles for Glare - you'll see the etch faintly....

4YUGZxF.jpg

This Scout is on the left, showing the Spring on the left remarkably bigger that the other - of which I don't think you will find in the later WW2 era Camillus Scouts / Utilities.

8OxmJZU.jpg

Last edited:
Nice scouts, Duncan. :thumbsup: Interesting that the one with the thicker spring has thinner liners, ending up being thinner overall. Is that a difference because of the brass vs. steel liners?

Last edited:
Back