"Old Knives"

Two Sundays now in a row... Two POCKETEZEs.
This Robie’ model 622421 at 2”7/8s with slanted bolsters and with all tang sides stamped is a sweetheart! As I’ve read somewhere, the “Made in USA” stamps had become somewhat standard after a hard tariff hit in the early part of last century for imports.
These stamps put it’s production in the 1900s teens. So well made!! with snappy smooth action and again, quite tight blades which are worn, yet were used with lots of lurve in a long past. One of the pile side’s scale end pins is not holding the bone to the brass. I had to literally pic out pocket lint to bring it flush again. With a two pin badge, nickel spring pin and brass scale pins, it was someone’s pocket pal for many a year... I lurve it!
C602D781-1917-43C9-96AE-34C2FABFED7A.jpeg9790D5D8-B074-4391-8EEA-495F5C292C14.jpegDFC0FED1-6120-4216-9BF2-68FFF8C6DF84.jpeg5BB5A6F8-6405-4BAA-A468-C12892E785E6.jpeg2B213CCA-F1C9-4AB0-92EE-1DBD7557245D.jpegD38EB7B8-E257-4E60-8A11-8AAB4801BCD7.jpeg

Nice PocketEze! I am a real fan of PocketEze folders and have quite a number of them. They were very much loved by their owners and most were well used but cared for and were a pleasure to carry. The hidden joints appealed to users and made them easy and desirable to have in the pocket since they didn’t shred the material as easy as most pocket knives did of the early 20th century. They very often were used up but replaced by another PocketEze go figure!:oops::)

They sure are a somethin’ else Lloyd :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I’m staring to really wish there where a lot more “out-of” PocketEze samples to choose from!

Nice collection of Camillus scouts, Duncan! The punches are close! The one difference I see is, the cutting edge on the Union is straight, while the Camillus has a belly curve. So, they might not be from the same die?? 🤔
Hi Charlie- you are right of course - I do have another older Cammy round here with this Punch so will see if this is wear and tear - man they are so similar - this is what I love about these Punches!
Thank you Charlie!
Nice scouts, Duncan. :thumbsup: Interesting that the one with the thicker spring has thinner liners, ending up being thinner overall. Is that a difference because of the brass vs. steel liners?
Hi Dan
Yes my friend- as you can see those Steel liners are very thick in comparison- the older one was quite some time before WW2.
Interesting this one - the differences were the reason of purchase.

Ed, I like beer & blades a lot !
Beaut’ covers, all nickel steel and lotsa’ metal to go 🤘 :cool:🤘
Un-Chained, beer and blades can be detrimental to ones wallet, but I never regret adding a useful tool with history to my humble collection of users:)
The array of amazing US made knives on display in this thread is a fave place of mine to gawk slack jawed at, especially after some hard earned beers.
My brother in California is coming home to Ireland in two months for a holiday, I must get onto the sales section and load his suitcase up:)

Old, 4-line Camillus, two blades stamped, and I believe that is a patented manicure blade, but with no marking. The thing that finally sold me on this knife (cheap) was the nice handles!!Gents whitt 1.jpgGents whitt 2.jpg
Sleeveboard pattern whittler, with paired springs and a catchbit!!

Lovely PocketEze, Gus, beautiful colour to the bone and slanted bolsters.:thumbsup:
Nice old jack, ed_is_dead:thumbsup:
Thanks for the answer, Duncan, I wonder why they made the steel liners so thick?
Two lovely Camillus, Charlie.:thumbsup::thumbsup: As you alluded to, great bone.

Dan I am not too sure - perhaps it added to a more secure solid knife for the time of manufacture which was around doing the time of WW2 for the more rugged demands from the Knife? I don’t know my friend.
Charlie your two latest examples are stunning - yep - those handles would have done it for me too my fiend! Beautiful!
That Camillus - oh to turn back the click and just hunt down Early Camillus Knives!!

Here's an old Rope pattern in good usable condition that is un-tangstamped!
There is an etch that is only partly readable. All the other knives I have seen like this one were marked Camillus; some had military and coast guard marks. None had complex jigged bone and rattail bolsters, nor fancy copper bails like this one, typical of older eras!!Camillus maybe 1.jpg

I probably mentioned this old occurrence before, but I am nothing if not redundant!! 😲
😂
During WWI, many companies were making issue knives for the U.S. Navy; a smaller Rope or Sailors' knife with a nail file and a bail. When the War came to an end, a lot of leftover tooling and parts, and probably, production set-ups existed, so several companies produced civilian versions of the knife, some deleting the nail file, changing the main blade, and some adding a pen blade!
Schatt & Morgan went so far as to label one with a "SCOUT" shield in a further marketing effort, most certainly unauthorized Officially by the Boy Scouts!!
The only "SCOUT" one I have ever seen;
Scout Rope 1.jpgScout Rope 2.jpg
More civilians compared;
modernized issues 1.jpgmodernized issues 2.jpg
Camillus knives compared;
Mil vs Civ 2.jpgMil vs Civ 2A.jpg

Charlie... there isn’t an emoji fit for those...
Spectacular !!
That case with the file, seems to have slightly concave covers and interesting jiggin’...
ALL amazing and thanks for the share :cool: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back