"Old Knives"

I also have a Schrade Cut Co that has mismatched covers.
Picked up 3 nice jacks, an Electric Cut Co, a Maher&Grosh single blade sheepsfoot and an A.J. Jordan Cut Co.
Augie, (he says wiggling his toes!), you have knocked my socks off!! šŸ˜²
What a bunch of amazing Old Knives!! šŸ˜‹
Would we see these out there in greater numbers if that was a technique of displaying Knives for the Salespeople?
Great discussion points, Duncan!! I am sure the two "double-faced" knives were built that way; I wonder if we will ever know why!! šŸ¤”

Great Robeson, Gus.:thumbsup:
Augie, another bevy of beauties!:thumbsup: How do you do it?
M5Wbnj2.jpg

Empire Double-End Jack! This is a single-spring Jack, at 3 5/16". It could be called a pen knife, but I feel the name Jack fits it better! It is most likely from pre-1920, at which time the Alvord family sold out! The details are exquisite - nice jigged bone, and well-shaped, swedged blades, the mark side crocus polished on the main! The etching is still there, and both blades are stamped, typical of older cutlery. Hardly used at all!!Double end Jack Jr 3.jpgDouble end Jack Jr 1.jpgDouble end Jack Jr 2.jpg

Empire Double-End Jack! This is a single-spring Jack, at 3 5/16". It could be called a pen knife, but I feel the name Jack fits it better! It is most likely from pre-1920, at which time the Alvord family sold out! The details are exquisite - nice jigged bone, and well-shaped, swedged blades, the mark side crocus polished on the main! The etching is still there, and both blades are stamped, typical of older cutlery. Hardly used at all!!View attachment 1693279View attachment 1693277View attachment 1693278
When you zoom into the swedge and long pull area its hard not to be impressed by the crisp grinds, very accurate they way its in line with the long pull. Nice find Waynorth:)

Wowza Charlie o_O:thumbsup::thumbsup:
As mentioned above, a real treat this Empire!
Swedges, stamps, grinds, bonesā€¦ and lines, are all knice and krispy. I just lurve that main and etch!!

We all make friends, sometimes really great ones and our Porch certainly exemplifies this :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Another example from Cal, graciously sold to me recently and has arrived suddenly safe and sound.
Model 1310 and probably Camillus made, HSB & Co. 3ā€ 5/8 cattle with wunderful details allā€™round.
The bones, long-pulls, swedges, punch and milled liners are real dreamy !!
A dandy of a piece that Iā€™ll treasure for quite a whileā€¦

CA71C70B-A361-4E77-83E0-A73042249F37.jpeg3DD295C4-D7F8-46AE-9B49-A0E2D4AA6234.jpeg5AE94091-4F5B-41E4-B805-7E5FCC981DEA.jpeg2710FEB6-169F-4844-BD4D-DF29FC907567.jpeg

Here is a Schrade Cut pattern like Rob and Charlie posted on the last page. Like Charlie said same pattern different blades. Not near the same condition as theirs obviously but unique in its own way. Got this one in a trade with Dave (knowtracks) thanks Dave! It is interesting with pick bone on the mark side and peach seed on the pile side. I see no evidence of a re-handle. Both bone handles are evenly and fairly heavily worn which matches the condition of the heavily sharpened blades. This was a knife that was well used but cared for. I love it! Your comments are welcomed and appreciated! Thanks for looking.
View attachment 1689626View attachment 1689627View attachment 1689628
Nice one, I'll add my HJ to the mix of pick bone Schrades
LNKnRUw.jpg

Picked up 3 nice jacks, an Electric Cut Co, a Maher&Grosh single blade sheepsfoot and an A.J. Jordan Cut Co.

View attachment 1690532View attachment 1690533View attachment 1690534View attachment 1690535View attachment 1690536

View attachment 1690537
Augie fine trio, your finds never cease to amaze!

We all make friends, sometimes really great ones and our Porch certainly exemplifies this :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Another example from Cal, graciously sold to me recently and has arrived suddenly safe and sound.
Model 1310 and probably Camillus made, HSB & Co. 3ā€ 5/8 cattle with wunderful details allā€™round.

View attachment 1694159View attachment 1694161View attachment 1694162View attachment 1694163
That is an NYK punch, Gus!!!

Empire Double-End Jack! This is a single-spring Jack, at 3 5/16". It could be called a pen knife, but I feel the name Jack fits it better! It is most likely from pre-1920, at which time the Alvord family sold out! The details are exquisite - nice jigged bone, and well-shaped, swedged blades, the mark side crocus polished on the main! The etching is still there, and both blades are stamped, typical of older cutlery. Hardly used at all!!View attachment 1693279View attachment 1693277

View attachment 1693278
I need to catch up here.

What a gorgeous example Charlie! To have such a great Empire in that condition is amazing!

View attachment 1694159View attachment 1694161View attachment 1694162View attachment 1694163
Wow! Gus - outstanding New York Knife Cattle- thatā€™s a real nice piece!
Great score from Cal!

Back