"Old Knives"

large.jpg

Nice-looking knife Brad. Looks like Amundsen's knife, which I think is a Pradel.

amundsen-pocket-knife-large.jpg

http://www.canterburymuseum.com/about-us

I have a couple similar, but more recent and nowhere near as nice.

Nice-looking knife Brad. Looks like Amundsen's knife, which I think is a Pradel.

Jack, thanks for the lead on the Pradel's. I found this one and while there are differences there are many similarities. I looked at quite a few Pradel's but could not find one with this tang stamp. I did find that Pradel used many different markings so maybe one will turn up. Possibly Pradel made this one for another vendor?

Interesting story on the Amundsen knife. Thanks for sharing that as well.

large.jpg

large.jpg

Jack, thanks for the lead on the Pradel's. I found this one and while there are differences there are many similarities. I looked at quite a few Pradel's but could not find one with this tang stamp. I did find that Pradel used many different markings so maybe one will turn up. Possibly Pradel made this one for another vendor?

Brad, I think it may also be the case that a number of maker's used the name 'Pradel' on their knives. I picked this one up in a job-lot with more interesting knives, and took it for a Sheffield-made fake SAK. Another member pointed out, what I should have spotted, that the Sheffield blade is a replacement.

Brad, I think it may also be the case that a number of maker's used the name 'Pradel' on their knives. I picked this one up...

Thanks Jack, any shreds of data are helpful. I think this is the first time I have not been able to run a tang stamp down, at least something, so…the search continues!

large.jpg

Thanks Jack, any shreds of data are helpful. I think this is the first time I have not been able to run a tang stamp down, at least something, so…the search continues!

Good luck my friend! :D I'm afraid to say I've currently got about 3 that I need to run down! :eek:

Love the covers on that one, singin50. Looks like a stout knife. I really like it. I don't see many Bridge knives

My Great Uncle acquired this one some 50 years - it has no markings, but it is a quality built fillet and sheath. Other than that, I know nothing about it:

Love the covers on that one, singin50. Looks like a stout knife. I really like it. I don't see many Bridge knives
Thx Gevonovich! I don't either but always looking for this obscure brand. They were made very well, probably at the Schrade Co.

Here are a couple of old Boy Scouts knives:

Top: New York Knife Company (Hammer Brand) c.1917-1922, 2nd version of the first official BSA knife
Bottom: Ulster Knife Company (Dwight Divine & Sons) c.1923-1926, 1st version for Ulster
oldBSA01_zps11f60f38.jpg

Back