"Old Knives"

And I quote,
American Shear and Knife Company in Rosewood with a very unusual shield and a very intricate matchstriker pull.

01-26-2008_072023PM.jpg

01-26-2008_072405PM.jpg

01-26-2008_105124PM.jpg

01-26-2008_105440PM.jpg

Miller Brothers in ebony without shield, but with their trademark screwed on handles and a matchstriker pull. The tiny brass screws make it look very cool even without a shield. The solid black looks nice, and the knife is so well contoured you don't even feel it in your pocket.

02-12-2008_103336PM.jpg

02-12-2008_103837PM.jpg

And in beautiful shape,too! Thanks S-K for keeping the thread rolling.
-Vince

Nice coke bottles, Vince. Where are you getting those pics??
Rare stockman, s-k!!
s-k, I may have posted these some time ago, and you gave me an opinion of age. I didn't copy it unfortunately. Do you mind doing it again?? From an old factory display;
OldeEnglish.jpg

OldeEnglishPile.jpg

This is a circa 1890s J.S Holler stockman. Made in Solingen and imported by Adolph Blaich; a sporting goods retailer in San Francisco. It has both the maker and retailer marks on the tangs.

14-04038.jpg

Wow. It's not too often you see an old old stockman.

Here are two Schrade Stockmans that I got on Thursday. Left one is a Schrade Cut Co. with the factory edge on all three blades. The Main blade didn't scan well for some reason, it isn't actually that dark. The Schrade Walden on the right isn't quite as nice but the bone still looks great. - Dan
schrade3.jpg

Great looking knives Rivit and Waynorth.

Waynorth... after 1891 and the font on the stamps looks 20th cent... it is a more recent style then the stamp on my WWI knife. My best estimate is 1920s-50s. Sorry not much more help.

Late 1800's French 5 blade.Tortoise shell scales w/white gold inlay,yellow gold bolsters

12-28-2007_082419PM.jpg

Thanks for adding to the "Old Knife" thread & keeping it going.Certainly some really cool knives to look at,and enjoy.
-Vince

I think it's about time to make this thread a sticky so folks can keep contributing images of older knives to it over time for us all to enjoy and be inspired by.

Fantastic Elliott,Thank You Sir !,
-Vince

Nice brace of Schrades, Rivit! Thanks for the info, s-k. Great idea, Elliott! This thread deserves a long life.
Amazing French artifact, Vince. A rich man's knife at one time!
Here's an early Case Barlow. It used the 6205 pattern number, before that number was switched to the longer step-bolstered Barlow that uses it now. It has flat bolsters, which are much harder to finish, because of the lines which must remain perfectly straight. Topping it off, is a curvaceously shaped main blade, that was favored in the "olden" days.
TestedBarlow.jpg

Remington R1123 (circa 1920's-early 1930's):

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Russell "Daddy" Barlow (circa 1890-1912):

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Russell Barlow (1930's):

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Waterville Cutlery Co. "Easy Opener" (1843-1913):

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

J.A. Henckels "Sleeveboard Pen" (circa 1940's):

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

1920's-1930's French Multi-Blade:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Great Congress, Vince! And time to 'fess up!! That's your secret collection right?? The one the wife doesn't know about??:confused: C'mon, we'll never tell; we've got a few of our own;);)!:D:D
Here's my grandfather's knife, shown with a Case regular Barlow for scale. It came over on the boat, before the turn of the last century, from Montemaggiore Belsito, Sicilia (Sicily)!
He traveled to the new world with three of his brothers.
My most prized knife, for obvious reasons;
GiuseppesKnife.jpg

Here's one I can't seem to find any info on, even from BRL:

"Amsterdam" tang stamp (Dutch?) Military Knife:

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Nice ones Elliott.
Charlie,these knives I've posted in this thread are not mine,nor have I ever handled them,I'm just sharing the images.
That's my story & I'm sticking to it.

Here's a colorful shot

01-22-2008_06jpg19jpg34PM-2.jpg

Charlie,I bet you've got enough "Old Knives" to add another few pages to this thread,easy.

Back