"Old Knives"

I saw that knife as well, very nice. A little too rich for my blood at this stage in my life but that's neat it ended up in good hands.

Thanks North Shore. I've found that for the most part it doesn't hurt to ask if I can make an offer. The seller was willing to work with me on the price. (Although my wife may not agree that it was a good deal.)

New to me Robeson Barlow maybe 1920-1940 based on what I could find. Has the remnants of the ShurEdge script with USA underneath it on the main, and Robeson Cutlery Rochester on the pen blade. Great old sawcut bone!

35903132614_dc494b288a_b.jpg

35928171353_f7bc330338_b.jpg

36598505661_83bf7781ed_b.jpg

35903317084_b7d3787c69_b.jpg

35903322904_957f9ed62e_b.jpg

Beautiful Hammer Congress, Mike!! Just back from my Rendezvous trek in time to see it!
Nice to see you posting again - haven't "seen" you much lately!!

Nice Robeson Barlow, Jeff!!

Thanks Charlie. I took an unplanned knife sabbatical but hope to be around more. Looking forward to seeing your most recent knife pickups.

Nice knives guys! Since, I am addicted to finding and purchasing old knives/antiques.....
Thought I would share this Vom Cleff pressure open/twist knife.

ANTIQUE VOM CLEFF ADVERTISING KNIFE "HUDSONIL" COMPLIMENTS OF OF THE DANUBIL CO. N. Y.

I just closed the deal on this, this morning. I have searched for this style of knife for two years.
From what I can tell-this is at least 100 years old, if not plus +.
I will post my own photography once I have received it.

Cheers,

Kirk

medium
medium

Last edited:
Here's the NYKCo Hammer Brand I mentioned (1931 or earlier based on life span of NYKCo).

O6LxTcM.jpg

- Stuart
These Coke bottle folding hunters are a bit related to this NYKCo Hammer. Note particularly, the similarity of the blades on the first two on the left to the from left to right: Hammer Brand (no NYKCo stamp) 1938-1941; Hibbard Spencer Bartlett - OVB, 1884-1969; Ulster Knife Co., NY, 1876-1941; Harris Brothers & Co, Chicago, IL. I believe that Ulster produced knives for HSB, though the hunter here, I believe, was by NYKCo, as was the Hammer.

Hjus9IZ.jpg

- Stuart

So here is a knife I received yesterday. I'm using the seller's pictures because I can't seem to take any good ones myself. 4 ¼ closed.

I was watching this one as well. Glad it went to a good home, enjoy! Maybe you should consider doing a book on NYKCo?
Charles

Here's a Remington Bulldog that was only available if you subscribed to Hunter-Trader-Trapper magazine. Remington used the same frame for a three-blade knife. This Bulldog pattern appeared in Bernard Levine's Knife World column a while back and I was lucky to get a copy of the HTT magazine with the Bulldog ad in it.
niO2qGl.jpg
w1j9DRx.jpg

I love those H-T-T knives, IIRC there were a number of patterns offered over the years. Does it have a pattern number? Somewhere I heard that Remington promo knives did not have the pattern number stamped on the tang. I know this is true for the Wrigley gum promo jack.

SWEET!
I have to get a camera because I've purchased a few vintage knives.
Until THIS thread I stayed away from what I called "ugly" knives.

Now I see the beauty!!
4.jpg

I love those H-T-T knives, IIRC there were a number of patterns offered over the years. Does it have a pattern number? Somewhere I heard that Remington promo knives did not have the pattern number stamped on the tang. I know this is true for the Wrigley gum promo jack.

Charles, everyone of those knives are truly stunning. I really like the one with the scimitar blade! Cool piece of paper as well.

Lambertiana, there is no pattern number. In Bernard Levine's column he said he saw the remnants of a stamped Remington circle mark on the front, but I can't see anything on mine. The Bulldogs were made without shields. The frame is the same as three jumbo sleeveboard patterns that Remington made minus the two secondary blades. Instead, there's a black spacer on the that end.

In the ad, the Bulldog knife does have the Remington stamp on the front of the blade. I have another H-T-T ad with a two-blade knife that (at least in the ad) does have the Remington stamp on the main blade. But I'm guessing the actual knives did not, just like the Bulldog I have and the one that appeared in Levine's article.

I used Bernard Levine's appraisal service a lot when I first started collecting and I'm still learning from him. (It has been the "red hot poker of knowledge" at times.)

Thank you Duncan. I appreciate the kind remarks. I had a lot of help (and knife pictures) from BF members on that book. Can't thank them enough.

So here is a knife I received yesterday. I'm using the seller's pictures because I can't seem to take any good ones myself. 4 ¼ closed.
kqUGDdh.jpg
u0WYU7Z.jpg
IIETMS7.jpg
0tLsPDt.jpg
TZlnkhL.jpg
anDQqzH.jpg
OH MY! That's a beauty! ;)

Back