"Old Knives"

Picked up this Germania Cutlery Works single blade, they were in business from late 1800's until 1938 when the factory was confiscated from the Jewish owners by the Nazi's. It was owned by the Kastor family of New York who also owned Camillus.
I'm thinking this one is early due to integral bolsters and the hammered pins, it has very nice and unusual bone.

IMG_7259.jpg IMG_7257.jpg IMG_7260.jpg

Quite a history behind that knife, John!!
The best knives to collect - nice ones, with stories!!:)

Last edited:
Great Thread.
That's a great example if the Early German way of finishing the Stag Corners - squared off - as we discussed at length at the Rendezvous- so much learnt listening to you guys!
Was it you Charlie ( pm sent ) or you John who was talking to me about this?

About how when the Sheffield Cutlers finished off the handles differently to the German - that was interesting
Neat Knife.

Great Thread.
That's a great example if the Early German way of finishing the Stag Corners - squared off - as we discussed at length at the Rendezvous- so much learnt listening to you guys!

About how when the Sheffield Cutlers finished off the handles differently to the German - that was interesting
Neat Knife.
Duncan, I recall Bill discussing that as well at the picnic. IF memory serves he said that certain cutlers (English) and (German) were at opposite ends of the state (PA) when they first immigrated and had colorful discussions at times on who's method was better:)

I overheard the discussion, but did not take part. Bill could talk for days on the subject of how to make knives! Mesmerizing!!
I actually tried to get Bill to make Barlows with the "squared-off" fit at the Bolster, like the old ones we often see, but he said it is such a different way of finishing, he'd have to re-train his staff!! No dice!!

Aah thank you guys / it's come back to me now- back at work and it's a non stop whirlwind- so thank you for the reminder. :thumbsup:

Duncan, I recall Bill discussing that as well at the picnic. IF memory serves he said that certain cutlers (English) and (German) were at opposite ends of the state (PA) when they first immigrated and had colorful discussions at times on who's method was better:)

That would have been a great conversation to listen in on. It's great that he is willing to pass along his institutional knowledge that most of use would otherwise not have access to.

Throwback Thursday, so it's a 1917-1946 Schrade barehead.

Bk6K1DD.jpg

- Stuart

Great Thread.

Neat Knife.

That sounds like a fascinating discussion :thumbsup: Can someone take notes next time?! :D ;) :thumbsup:

That sounds like a fascinating discussion :thumbsup: Can someone take notes next time?! :D ;) :thumbsup:
Jack, it was interesting, I could have listened to Bill and others endlessly:thumbsup: another discussion was how to get you there for next year's rendezvous, seriously, the topic of a "Jack Black" travel fund was mentioned:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jack, it was interesting, I could have listened to Bill and others endlessly:thumbsup: another discussion was how to get you there for next year's rendezvous, seriously, the topic of a "Jack Black" travel fund was mentioned:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

LOL! Thanks mate :D :thumbsup:

Haha - ok thanks for that Mr Jack Black my friend - and you are totally correct as I get older I'm not sure I'm getting wiser :oops:
In saying that I learnt a lot over the Rendezvous- just sitting with our friends- and the conversations.
Jack we did discuss about getting together some sort of fund raiser to get you over to one :thumbsup:

Lots of great discussion and lovely knives above – this thread no doubt moves fast :)... Jeff – beauty of an old Robeson barlow!! Great showing of hunters Stuart and Charles, and Charles – great group of Hammer Brand knives, and that scitimar knife has me mesmerized ;-) … I had only seen a photo of one other and it was an Empire in tortoise shell… Mike – Another beauty of a Hammer Brand knife in jigged bone!! John – sweet old Germania knife!! With so many knives posted hope I didn’t forget any but pretty sure I hit "like" on all ;)

With that cool run of beautiful hunters posted I wanted to share this oldie – one of my favorites from American Knife Co Thomaston (1849-1911 – Note that the company started as American Knife Co Plymouth (1849) and that stamp was used until the name of the town was changed to Thomaston in 1875 – accordingly this knife was made sometime between 1875-1911 – my guess is earlier than later in that time frame). Big folder at 5 & 3/8” closed with a nice ebony handle. The blade was no doubt used and abit dull on the edge but not sure ever sharpened – just used heavily - pretty full kick and choil still noticeable and blade is very full in length in liner well. I believe the blade would be termed a saber grind as the bevel starts at the middle of blade and not the spine which also sports a double swedge. From my understanding the saber blade design was made with the notion the blade would be stronger and more durable for tough uses – many tactical and military knives I believe have saber grinds as well. Nonetheless a unique blade for a folding hunter as many were clip blades (though I have a Holley Mfg Co Lakeville hunter that also is a big spear). The use of a nail nick rather than a long pull is rather interesting to me for such a long heavy blade. Just as an aside in terms of the knife’s story :D.. - I understand this knife was found in a barn where someone had forgotten it long ago and apparently left up on the rafters for most of the 1900s and into the 21st century when it was found – considering that and all steel construction there was surprisingly little active rust but no doubt some staining – but all in all excellent shape for its age etc… Hard snapping and tight with no wobble whatsoever… Thanks for looking!!

U14ljHf.jpg

r30Fe2D.jpg

Df72fCg.jpg

n8cKd5f.jpg

Cheers!
Lee

Back