"Old Knives"

New find from solingen - Schmachtenberg Bros.

Looks like a swayback lambsfoot almost. I think the handles are some kind of horn. My book dates the mark anywhere from 1887-1939.

I though the blade stamp was super cool! Anyone have more info?

37137429482_a85298e09e_o.jpg

What an absolute treasure Jeff :thumbsup:

It's a pic I found on the internet, Duncan, but I have had a lot of fun with it!!

It would be interesting if some cyber-detective could figure out what knife he is holding!!:)

Here's a Rodgers whittler. Tiny crack in the back, but i just couldn't send it back.

tIGlI2F.jpg

A real beauty Mike :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ... Glad you kept it... We all have different criteria for what is a "keeper"... for me I no doubt have bought knives with a few cracks etc but for me tight and functional blades (and not abused from a sharpening aspect) are at the top of the list... small cracks etc - acceptable under the right circumstances with your knife being a great example :)... I also like that blade etch across the spine/swedge :thumbsup:...

Cheers
Lee

Thanks Paul and Lee. I don't have to have all minty knives, and I can't afford as many as I would like. But the seller failed to mention the crack, so I briefly considered sending it back. Living in rural, Western Colorado, I rarely get knife shows. For a while I was buying knives that weren't in great shape just to be able to handle them prior to reselling them.

It took a steady hand to stamp that swedge!

It's a pic I found on the internet, Duncan, but I have had a lot of fun with it!!

It would be interesting if some cyber-detective could figure out what knife he is holding!!:)
That it would be, but I want to know what fringed thing behind him is? Very strange.

Looks like a large equal ended of sorts Blades from both directions- Cattle Knife?

I think that "fringed thing" is a prop in a photography studio! I kinda like that big cigar box the boy is sitting on!

Might be, Duncan! Looks more like a trapper or saddlehorn to me, but I cannot blow it up clearly.

OOPS!! I think you are closer to the truth, Duncan!!

Wonderful old knives Jeff, Charlie, Mike and Ted, all great old knives but that blade stamp on Jeff's knife is something else.

Picked up this Sta-Sharp cattle knife, decent shape with some blade etch but a modified spey blade. Has the spiral punch and a tang stamp stating spiral punch. Pretty sure made before WW2 by Camillus.

IMG_7412.jpg IMG_7392.jpg IMG_7394.jpg IMG_7395.jpg IMG_7404.jpg IMG_7414.jpg IMG_7419.jpg

Wonderful knives posted folks - this is like my "fix" coming in to check this Thread.
Augie matey - I'm sure it would be hard to find a knife better built- I too own those beauties and I always just love to handle them.
Love that Spiral Punch and its stamping - also the coined Liner as well!
Did I mention that Bone :eek: I love the Swedge work as well - Whew ... lots going on in that Beautiful Knife my friend.

Back