"Old Knives"

I think Paul stole that from my box of Knives - Paul, all will be forgiven if you 'fess up Brother.

seriously - Oh man- That is a Seriously beautiful Knife my friend! Just WOW!!! What a honey!!!

The last five or so pages of this thread have so many of what I consider to be, perfect knives.

They are simple elegant Jack knives, pen on mark side, spear main blade. The blade shapes, while not all the same, are beautifully proportioned, with lovely cut or drawn swedges, and some even plain, but I couldn't imagine more pleasing blade shapes.

The shape of the bodies of the knives strike me as examples of a peak in design, as well. They scream quality and workmanship. And the bone.......(or wood) man oh man!

These knives couldn't stand to have anything taken away, nor would they benefit from any kind of addition.

You guys are killin' me, I am so impressed with the knives you all manage to find, and I am so very jealous. Pure Gold! Thanks Paulihorn, Charlie, and Campbellclanman and others, for posting pictures of them, what a treat it is.

Michael

John, Dave, Duncan, Michael and Charlie...Thank you for the likes/compliments:thumbsup:

Charlie, now Duncan being Duncan, after his pilfering accusation, he just may not receive the latest stag HJ that just arrived...or did ito_Oo_Oo_O:D

Last edited:
Another fantastic group of knives shown recently and Paul, that Voos is certainly a looker!!!

I agree Herder- Thats a real nice Jack there, Paul needs to be careful, armies have sailed the seas and invaded foreign shores for lesser crimes than withholding such precious Knives!

That was funny Herder my friend - I looked at that Knife and thought "Wow" - look at that Bone" then read your description :oops:
:):thumbsup:
I think that's a very cool Keen Kutter Jack.
Love that axe head - Paul has a couple of those I think?

I missed alot being offline the last 4 days... but great knives John (a beauty of a Southington Boys Barlow :thumbsup: ... that trips my trigger :D), Lloyd (great Norvell-Shapleigh :thumbsup:), Charlie (sweet group of jacks :thumbsup:), Paul (the Voos jack is a beauty :thumbsup::thumbsup: - they were so well known for that pattern and made a ton of them - funny but not many other jack patterns if any but Voos made many small FOB knives for sure) and Neal (lovely old Keen Kutter on one of their axe heads - sweet :thumbsup:)... Awesome knives all :thumbsup: :thumbsup:...

Looking through my document library, I came across this Empire picture. Two things of note, the famous (at least it used to be) Empire Shield, proportioned for each pattern, and the swedges that go right down to the Saber-grind mid-line. Empire had a flair for pocket knife style! It was a big company in its heyday, possibly the biggest in North America for a time!

EmpireSabersHoriz.jpg

That's quite a contrast you have posted, Augie!
Almost the two extremes of what shield a cutler could choose!
It is interesting poking into the minds of the cutlers.
"What shield enhances this knife??" Or,
"Now which shield is going sell this knife??"
:rolleyes:

Or, "What have we got left over??"
:)

Last edited:
Back