"Old Knives"

Here we have a case of stuffing as much blade as possible into a pocket knife! Not only is the blade broad, but it is a "heavy-duty", so thick. Early knife - note the curved Stamp!
View attachment 778725 View attachment 778731

That's another eye popper Charlie!
Is the 'kick' a bump on the inside of the back spring for the main blade?

Michael.

P.S. This is THE best thread on the best forum on this website. I'm getting started making traditional folding knives and the knives presented here lately are truly an inspiration. They set the bar pretty darned high.

Last edited:
What is the length of that one Charlie?
I remember it as 3 7/8". Alas, it sold with my Empire connection.
This is a fabulous knife!
Thanks, Lambertiana!!
That's another eye popper Charlie!
Is the 'kick' a bump on the inside of the back spring for the main blade?

Michael.
The "heel" of the blade hits a slight rise in the spring, as I recall. If you look close, you can see a slight peen there. Crude but effective.
Thanks for the compliment!

Here we have a case of stuffing as much blade as possible into a pocket knife! Not only is the blade broad, but it is a "heavy-duty", so thick. Early knife - note the curved Stamp!
View attachment 778725 View attachment 778731

Charlie- That HAS to be THE most exquisite Knife I have seen in a long long time - That is just Stunning- everything- just everything about that Knife is what I dream to collect one day, man that is gorgeous.

Augie- great follow up of gorgeous Knives my friend- Wow!

Glad you like it Duncan. It was pretty outstanding!
Hopefully you or I will find another like it some day!

Looking through my document library, I came across this Empire picture. Two things of note, the famous (at least it used to be) Empire Shield, proportioned for each pattern, and the swedges that go right down to the Saber-grind mid-line. Empire had a flair for pocket knife style! It was a big company in its heyday, possibly the biggest in North America for a time!

View attachment 777977
This ad from July 15th ,1899 "Age of Steel" shows the vastness of the Empire line of knives ;as they were enjoined wholly with the AF Shapleigh Hardware Company. Notice Shapleigh was sole agents of Diamond Edge and Empire knives.

xxx.jpg

Etched Camillus 4-line Jack. I'm sort of on a trip down memory lane, looking through old pics. This one is a 3 3/4" Jack, and I still have it, fortunately!
View attachment 778993 View attachment 778995

Fortunately indeed! Good one to hang on to. I have a real soft spot for those old Camillus jacks and Easy Openers. Probably because I have Grandpa's old Camillus.

Those blades look mint. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like they made a lot more with spears rather than clip point???

You got yourself a keeper. I hope it gets some pocket time.

The etch is too precious to wear out, Amir. It doubles the value of the knife, so would be foolish to use, IMO. There is some important history there!!
Camillus made a lot of beautiful clip blades - hard to say which blades predominate! A couple more Jacks:

CamillusJack2.jpg

I see your point (no pun intended) about preserving the blade etching. I had to zoom in to see it.
Beautiful- thanks for the pics.

I agree Herder matey. That Camillus Coke Bottle(?)Jack with the Warranted Etch is outstanding, yet alone the two Jacks by Camillus to follow.
I'm not too sure what model you would call the beautiful Bone Camillus- a cousin of a Cattle Knife? but the blade selection is great- how's that for a Turkish Clip :eek: different pulls 'n all.

Now that Knife is outstanding - please don't get me wrong- but imagine how even more stunning it would be if Camillus had used their Spiral Punch on that knife!

Early Winchester camp/scout knife.

qRUvoSc.jpg

Au7EodH.jpg

- Stuart

Last edited:
Thanks Neal and Duncan - glad you like them! I came late to the conclusion that Camillus was under-rated for the quality of their older-era knives. I have a couple more to post.

Great Scout, Stuart!! I'm still looking for one like that! Does it have the Napanoch punch?

This is an interesting Camillus - a three-spring Stockman! The spey blade has a rather small "flat" at its tip, and the bone differs somewhat from most knives by this company. Long blades fit three springs with ease. Note the curved stamps on two of the blades, and the "ghosting" of the pattern number (acidic ink?) across to the adjacent blade. The crossed swords etch didn't scan well.
Camillus Serpentine.jpg Camillus3springStockPile.jpg Camillus3springStockPileTangs.jpg

Wow- duck dog- what a knife!!!! That is a beautiful Scout!!

Charlie- I can't say enough about your knives- another stunning Camillus- Love that curves Stamp of Camillus- don't see that often!

Thanks Neal and Duncan - glad you like them! I came late to the conclusion that Camillus was under-rated for the quality of their older-era knives. I have a couple more to post.

Great Scout, Stuart!! I'm still looking for one like that! Does it have the Napanoch punch?
Thanks. I edited my post to add the pile side view of the punch.
- Stuart

Back