"Old Knives"

Etched Camillus 4-line Jack. I'm sort of on a trip down memory lane, looking through old pics. This one is a 3 3/4" Jack, and I still have it, fortunately!
View attachment 778993 View attachment 778995
I am fond of the wood coke bottle scales and I really appreciate the handiness of that 3 3/4" size. My coke bottle folding hunters are a bit bulky at 5 1/4" - 5 1/2", as you can see. Left to right: Continental Cutlery Co.; Ulster Knife Co. NY; Hammer; Hammer Brand; Hammer Brand, New York Knife Co., Walden; U V B, Hibbard Spencer Bartlett.

z8JzGMB.jpg

- Stuart

Paul you are so right - Stuart that is a beauty - love those Blades- that knife has had very little use!

Last edited:
Stuart you have a great and seemingly endless collection of good'uns!!
Thanks for showing them to us!!

Here is a Schrade Cut Co. EE small Jack I recently acquired in stainless steel. It is 3 & 3/8 inches closed. I found it in the Schrade Cutlery Company catalog E 1926 page 23. It is pattern no. 2563. Although this catalog does not specifically identify SS available in this pattern. On page 10 under "Key To Numbering System" (i) "SS" prefixed to a number indicates a knife with Stainless Steel Blades and Springs. Question? when was stainless steel introduced and for how long before it was discontinued back in the day? I know that SS was not initially popular when introduced so relatively few knives were probably made.

This example is in high grade condition with little evidence of much use. It has been sharpened post factory but there is no blade loss that I can tell. It has superb W&T. The blade well is absolutely pristine and there is no hint of corrosion, staining or discoloration anywhere probably because of the higher chromium content. Much of the original polish on the blades is still present.
IMG_1539.jpg IMG_1537.jpg
IMG_1540.jpg

That is a beautiful Knife my friend, you see some pop up now and then in SS- but very very few- I can remember only a few- and a long time ago, Man...just check out that Peach seed...Whew makes a man go weak at the knees.
Stan Shaw wasnt working at Schrade for a while was he? :D

Question? when was stainless steel introduced and for how long before it was discontinued back in the day? I know that SS was not initially popular when introduced so relatively few knives were probably made.

According to BRL, stainless steel was invented in 1914, with the first commercial use for knives in 1915. Widespread use for knives by 1919. By the 1930s, close to 10% of all pocket cutlery sold in the US was stainless.

Nice knife!!
Lloyd, your knife is an SS2563 on page 59.
They did indeed specify a Stainless version. The number is the same, but, I guess, the SS on the back is part of the designation.

It looks like Schrade only made 10 patterns in Stainless in those years. I have heard they didn't sell so were dropped sometime later. It took the public a long time to trust stainless.

Lloyd, just a fantastic knife. I love the double pinned plain shield, GORGEOUS bone and full blades:cool::thumbsup:

Luger1952 Luger1952 I am looking for a WOW!! tab to click on for that knife. It is one that would cause me to walk out of my way to show(off) to my friends. Thank you for sharing.
- Stuart

Stuart you have a great and seemingly endless collection of good'uns!!
Thanks for showing them to us!!
Thanks, Charlie, for the encouragement. I'll try to post the best that I can, though some may be clunkers or gee-gaws. as I seem to post those that catch my eye early in the day (much like my daily pocket selection). After my second cup of coffee, I may have second thoughts. I've quickly realized that the education and fellowship that I find here outweighs any trepidation that I have about my nascent knowledge of knives and their heritage.
- Stuart

Thanks Duncan, Lambertiana, Charlie, Paul, Stuart for your nice comments and others that liked this SS Schrade Jack!
Thanks Lambertiana for adding reference information about the early use of stainless steel by knife makers. Thanks additionally Charlie for adding clarity to the Schrade SS model nomenclature and consumer reception. I did find it in the catalogue--thank you! I had missed it initially and had stopped short on page 23o_O

Picked up a nice Robeson Toothpick Q622113. It is 4 1/4" long with a 3 3/8" blade. The tang stamp has 3 lines on the mark side that read ROBESON/SchurEdge/ROCHESTER N.Y. . The pile side tang is stamped Q622113 . The covers are brown bone and described on the original box as Boker Bone. I've done some research and think this knife was made in the period 1911 - 1921. Anyway it is in very very nice condition - almost mint. The shield is pinned.

8rdcWc9.jpg

J8onCOb.jpg

eQtsiNz.jpg

Nice toothpick, Ed. I am 90% sure that is a reproduction made for SMKW, who holds the copyright for Robeson ShurEdge (sp?). Might have been made by Queen some years ago.
Can you show a pic of the box?

Here's the box Charlie. Pretty sure it's not a reproduction but then again most likely made by Queen. Even if it's not a real early knife it's still a nice one. The pinned shield says something for it. I don't think SMKW would go the extra cost for pinning the shield. Please give me your opinion since seeing the box Charlie. That's what we're here for - to help educate each other on the knives that pass through our hands.

GgfKY1K.jpg

Edited to Add:

I looked at the mark side stamping again with a magnifying glass and the word ShurEdge is underlined; however the underline comes off the letter e curls back ever so slightly and finishes under the S in ShurEdge. I'm pretty sure that that makes it a later made knife made by Queen. Could have been commissioned by SMKW but not a Chinese knife for sure. Appreciate and would appreciate more words from you Charlie.

Last edited:
I agree with Charlie. Queen made, probably mid to late '90s, which was when Queen was at their best. The sticker on the end of the box is a giveaway: Queen's font and placement. Definitely a high quality knife.

Back