"Old Knives"

Here is a Schrade Cut Co. EE small Jack I recently acquired in stainless steel. It is 3 & 3/8 inches closed. I found it in the Schrade Cutlery Company catalog E 1926 page 23. It is pattern no. 2563. Although this catalog does not specifically identify SS available in this pattern. On page 10 under "Key To Numbering System" (i) "SS" prefixed to a number indicates a knife with Stainless Steel Blades and Springs. Question? when was stainless steel introduced and for how long before it was discontinued back in the day? I know that SS was not initially popular when introduced so relatively few knives were probably made.

This example is in high grade condition with little evidence of much use. It has been sharpened post factory but there is no blade loss that I can tell. It has superb W&T. The blade well is absolutely pristine and there is no hint of corrosion, staining or discoloration anywhere probably because of the higher chromium content. Much of the original polish on the blades is still present.
View attachment 780345 View attachment 780344
View attachment 780343
That is a beautiful knife Lloyd.

That a nice one in pearl, herder! I have several of the Bruckmanns, but most are in that cheap plastic they used.

Thanks glennbad, and if only someone had an original Bruckmann box. :)
Some nice Bruckmann examples shown by robbobus, and that faux horn model sure looks like genuine horn.

Hard to keep up with the fine and rare knives on this thread. I have to go back a page or two almost every time I come here!!
The English Jack, named in America:D, is defined by Bernie Levine as being a Regular Jack (swells slightly at the non-pivot end, with straight sides), over 4" in length. Camillus made some beauties!! 2 are just over 4 3/8" and one is 4 9/16".
View attachment 783220 View attachment 783221 View attachment 783222 View attachment 783223

Yes, hard to keep up and there have certainly been some fine knives posted lately.
These beautiful English Jacks really get my attention and rank among my favorite models.

I love this old knife thread! I appreciate all those that share photographs of their wonderful vintage folders:thumbsup:

Charlie those are some spectacular English Jacks. They have everything going for them!

Herder that is an oustanding take apart slot knife with original box WOW!

Here is an Empire Lockback I recently acquired. It was cleaned and polished by some one in the past. It is 4 & 1/4 inches closed. Function and lockup is great! Has some blade loss.IMG_1542.jpg IMG_1546.jpg IMG_1543.jpg IMG_1545.jpg IMG_1544.jpg

herder (struggles not to use first name):):D what a wonderful Clauss:cool: still planning on a pre/post thanksgiving visit;)

Lloyd, AMAZING Empire:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: regardless of cleaning, so nice:cool:

Herder, that Clauss is a knife collection all by itself!! Wonderful!!
Real nice Empire, Lloyd! Sometimes we have to forgive the people who clean knives:rolleyes: - a little anyways!:D

Herder my friend- that take apart Clauss is spectacular- coming across a knife as such just not happen often.
Wonderful piece :thumbsup:

Cleaned or not cleaned Lloyd - anyone of us would love that Knife- what a beautiful knife!

herder (struggles not to use first name):):D what a wonderful Clauss:cool: still planning on a pre/post thanksgiving visit;)

Lloyd, AMAZING Empire:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: regardless of cleaning, so nice:cool:
Umm, wait, what? I thought using first names here (on the porch) was okay, it just came up on this thread (I think) in the last ten pages or so.
Did I miss something?
Michael

Umm, wait, what? I thought using first names here (on the porch) was okay, it just came up on this thread (I think) in the last ten pages or so.
Did I miss something?
Michael

Frank said it wasn't technically against the rules to use someone's first name, and that anyone that does so wouldn't be reprimanded. There are some that feel we shouldn't use them based on privacy concerns. I guess it's up to each individual to decide what they want to do. That's my short summary.

And great knives over the past few pages!

Catching up here and was greeted by Herder's lovely slot knife ! That's a very cool Empire, Lloyd. I will enjoy looking back through the photos.

Guys, sorry I have not been able to keep up with all the wonderful knives being posted, Herder, Lloyd, Charlie, Charles, Ed, just all very nice old knives.

I have been finding a few that I have to post, first up, a very nice 3 3/4 jack from Humason&Beckley. Considering they went out of business in 1912 the knife is in amazing condition. Not sue what the handle material is but I think it is horn, if it's wood I'm not sure what type.

IMG_7463.jpg IMG_7465.jpg IMG_7466.jpg IMG_7470.jpg IMG_7473.jpg

Nice Jack, Augie! Besides its old-timey pattern and details, the deep etch (stamp?) is icing on the cake!!
It looks like horn from here (3000 miles away:D).

Nice Ulster Jack, and cool old Scout as well!

Back