"Old Knives"

I appreciate everyone's observations and comments! Thank you.

The brass might be a "catch bit" as described by a previous post. Photos of the well with the blades open would help.

I see no signs that a "mechanic" messed with it.

The damage on the bolsters is from a impact of some sort. Could have been dropped or used as a hammer. I've seen bolsters on old knives that had damage from driving nails, etc!

Very well preserved oldie

I'll get a good well shot today and post tonight. Thanks

[QUOTE

Let's check that Punch out again!

Looking carefully- it seems to be a two fold Lamination- obvious on the top Photo and if you look carefully in the second where the Punch lip ends- Tang End- you can see the joining " V"( top - or Spine of the Punch).

That is really interesting and the first I have seen !
I really like that Knife! Nice one Rockman0 :thumbsup:

Thanks Duncan, I would have a hard time sending it back, I'll hang on to it and give it the coon finger and chicken eye. I'll post up better pics of the punch tonight, looks like the original bluing on it.

Lovely Serpentine Pal Augie. Beautiful condition- beautiful knife - well done.

Mike my friend.
Oh man how often do you see such a incredible knife in such shape? Stunning .... now I'm picking that old Knife will have a substantially sized Spring & Spine on the main- like our older J A Henckels? Do you happen to have an " above " shot - open ?

Thanks Duncan. The main blade rides on two springs. I'll see if I can get picture from the top looking down on the main blade open.

It's hard for me to get good photos of the carved pearl on this Hilger and Sons Celebrated senator.

Augie, I really like the H&B you picked up.

NNKzDmx.jpg

TpiO8SA.jpg

I just got this old Remington UMC small Moose, it's not in the best shape and I'm working the snap back into her with generous amounts of mineral oil and wiping away old grime and shes snappy again. Bone is all there, some blade loss but not tons. The stamp seems to be the older one, just REMINGTON UMC in the circle. Standard Long Pull on the spear blade. with a long swedge. Remington Moose.jpg

Mike, nice Hilger and Sons!!

Great old Remington, North Shore!!

Someone in Schrade's marketing department had a sense of history! It seems that Empire was a prolific company from the mid-to-late 1800s right up into 1919 when it sold, and beyond.
They made gazillions of knives on contract for other companies, as well as their own.
One of their favorite shields for their own knives was this graceful bar, which looked good both engraved and plain.
Schrade paid tribute to that old, then-closed company, by using that shield in their Heritage series of boxed knives in the 1980s, and by giving it attribution!
Old Empire shields with a not-as-old tribute Schrade.
Heritage shield 8801 D.jpg Heritage shield 8801 C.jpg Heritage shield 8801 B.jpg

Last edited:
Charlie, It is cool that Schrade honored history like that. Nice knives. It's always good to see that Arkansas Hunter.

Charlie did you ever do anything with that Empire I found with my metal detector? I remember you knew what the knife was because of the distinct Empire shield.

Some more great knives - the photos in this entire thread would make quite the photo album :D ...

Mike - Lovely Hilger pattern in every way - just really like the old fancy ones and found in that condition - :cool: :thumbsup:

North Shore - Nothing like an old Remington and have not seen many of their Moose patterns! :thumbsup:

Charlie - great array of Schrades with some nice history and connection to Empire - very cool!! :thumbsup:

Mike- Oh Sweet Mamma.... Im actually chuckling away at just how beautiful that Knife is- now that Knife would have been at the pinnacle - that has all the bells an whistles that an High end Knife had- amazing.

When Jack and I visited Stan Shaw - we watched as Stan demonstrated the Old Cutlers way of using a Parser - that was an unbelievable time- walking around with Jack...ok drifting off here, Stan mentioned that Pearl was THE most expensive Material to use- extremely expensive, and it was the hardest for the Cutler to Pin without damaging it- so although Pearl Knives at this point of time dont make me go weak at the Knees quite the same as Jennifer Aniston or a good piece of Stag -I appreciate immensely the Beauty of Pearl and the workmanship and talent it took to make such a magnificent example like your Hilger & Sons - it would be hard to find a better example of such an old Cutler firm!

North Shore matey- Wow- the Early Remington is in such good shape for being a user all this time- and yet lets look at just how great that Knife is still today!Someone used that Knife like they Knew how to use a Knife- This is great to see and appreciate this- especially when you think about someone learning to sharpen a knife- it is easy to take half the life of a blade inside a few weeks - I know that sounds extreme but I think that is quite true in many cases! So viewing this lovely old Knife in the condition its in after being used as a Knife and not a safe Queen - its something that we all appreciate!

It looks a big knife- is that nearer to 4 inches closed?

Charlie, Schrade Heritage Knives were Excellent Knives - the Bone they used- well everything that came with Schrade - was very good! I know I enjoyed owning many of those Knives, I did not know at that stage that the shield they adorned had massive significance relating to probably one of the best Cutler Manufacturer that had existed at that time.

As Mike says the Arkansas Hunter is a Knife to behold- but that Empire at Top does it for me- Wow, I think I need to stay at your house Charlie- mow the lawns, cook, dust, wash cars - payment? crank open a box of knives for half an hour at the end of the day for viewing :thumbsup:

empire Shields on those Knives look just great, theres is only one way they could look better and that is to Have my name engraved :D

Charlie did you ever do anything with that Empire I found with my metal detector? I remember you knew what the knife was because of the distinct Empire shield.
It's just sitting around here somewhere, North Shore - just moldering away!
:D

Thanks Duncan. The main blade rides on two springs. I'll see if I can get picture from the top looking down on the main blade open.

It's hard for me to get good photos of the carved pearl on this Hilger and Sons Celebrated senator.

Augie, I really like the H&B you picked up.

NNKzDmx.jpg

TpiO8SA.jpg

Beautiful pearl gentleman's folder.

BIG THANK YOU to Duncan for gifting me this sweet small sort of soft Gunstock single spring Robeson Pocket Eze folder. I had admired it when Duncan posted it which prompted me to post some of my favorite Pocket Eze examples. Right after I did Duncan sent me a PM asking me for my address as he wanted to give this wonderful little Pocket Eze to me. No amount of "that was very nice but you don't need to do that" expressions from me worked and I got it yesterday evening. I am thrilled to say the least to add it to my burgeoning Robeson Pocket Eze collection. Duncan your influence, example and generosity on the BF traditional forum is truly epic and what makes this forum a special place. And I might add, that many of you exude that same wonderful characteristic!! Thank you again my friend:thumbsup::thumbsup:IMG_1559.jpg IMG_1558.jpg

Lloyd, that's a very unusual frame. It could be called a serpentine sleeveboard, but does it have a specific name?

Jeff that is a good question? Serpentine sleeveboard may be more accurate. I have been looking through Levine's 4th edition and can't say I have found anything definitive. Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks!

Lloyd, none more deserving than you. With your stellar Robeson/Pocket Eze it is fitting it resides with you. Now Duncan, he is LEGENDARY, although it pains me to say so, he is kinda of an ok guy:p

Lol- Paul my friend I could say something here but I wont lol.

It just made sense - 1. Lloyd is such a neat guy and such an important part of our Traditionals here.
2. Lloyd has a real nice collection of Robesons and the HJ was a very seldom seen Knife that it more so belongs to Lloyd than myself.
In saying this I expect everyone to pack up every single HJ they possess and send it to me lol- no seriously- gifting and kindness is a learnt behaviour within Traditionals and it was a no brainier that Lloyd gets this knife - I told Lloyd I wouldn't loose sleep even if it was the rarest knife out there ( unless Lloyd sells it for two mil - then let's talk Lloyd :D )
Nice to see that Knife home.

Now that frame - it's sort of a Serpentine and a soft version of a Gunstock, it's not equal ended with a vast difference on size of each Bolstering to each other, the frame doesn't snake like a Serpentine- so interesting.
Calling Mr Charlie Noyes on this one.

Another very important note - one that Charlie Waynorth pointed out- was that usually Robeson use their very quickly identifiable Punch - this one is one I haven't seen in another Robeson- so there's a lot of questions and mystery surrounding this lovely wee knife - it's not a parts knife I am sure.

Last edited:
Back