"Old Knives"

I just love this thread!
Got this in yesterday. I'm not familiar with how to date Taylor's stamps, any help is appreciated.
YB1JRrPl.jpg

Ki9ujVCl.jpg
What an amazing find. Congratulations!

Great collection of beautiful craftsmanship.
In continuing with pen knives, here is a 19th century Sheffield carved pearl handle model from Brookes & Crookes, a quill knife actually...

View attachment 795795

That is just lovely. :)

Duncan, really a fantastic bunch of pen knives! That VF is my favorite though:)! Had to bring it over to the next page. With the pick bone, beautiful coloring of the bone, hand hammered pins, beautiful complete blade etch, full blades, nice centered rounded bar shield, great swedging, low profile blades when closed, partially sunken joints and very nicely ramped pen blade tang for comfortable detail work--this vintage folder has it all and was comfortable to carry and use to boot:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have a few early VF examples. I checked my notes and this straight three line tang address Valley Forge/Cutlery Co./Newark NJ on the master mark side blade tang supports production prior to 1916. The Boker made knives use the curved Valley Forge with the "VF" in a circle on the back or pile side primary blade tang. Boker who bought VF in 1902 didn't start marking or using the VF in a circle until around 1916. So your gorgeous example is 100 years old or older. In remarkable condition for a centenarian:D. Thanks for sharing your outstanding pen knife collection examples!!
Tpr05Wv.jpg

BN7IEfS.jpg

AG69Ehk.jpg

MseTRvL.jpg

Hows that for a Blade etch!!!
1SQ1ynA.jpg
[/

Last edited:
About a month ago, I bought a Kent Sportsman's Knife in cocobolo from a nice old fellow at a gun show. Made by Camillus for F.W.Woolworth's 1931-1955.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/more-on-the-kent-branded-sportsman-knives.585000/
I went back today, and he told me he had found the sheath that went with it and gave it to me. He also had another Kent, possibly a later model with a guard. Of course I had to buy it. ;) I need to clean it a little bit, but I think the handle is bone.

7.5 inches overall length, these were very inexpensive knives with thin blades. I suppose they were marketed to boys, or perhaps thrifty outdoors-men. I'm really impressed by the quality you could find at a five&dime store during the Great Depression. :D
Kent sportsman's 2.jpg

Those are two cool fixed Blades R8shell.

Luger- thank you my friend- it is indeed a beauty.
Your bang on with everything you said - these beautiful Pens are out there and at times get overlooked.
Thank you for your kind comments kind Sir.

Superb selection of Penknives Duncan :) :thumbsup:

In continuing with pen knives, here is a 19th century Sheffield carved pearl handle model from Brookes & Crookes, a quill knife actually...

View attachment 795795

Absolutely beautiful :thumbsup:

A truly elegant knife Herder ! Thanks for the look. Brookes & Crookes put out some fine cutlery indeed.

They certainly did :)

Duncan, Lee, herder, enjoyable show of knives. Duncan, I so enjoy being able to handle the fine knives you collect, I've said it before but I live vicariously through you. Now Charlie, I have to say your description of Duncan's pen knives is very sesquipedalian esque:p:thumbsup:

Don't we all Paul! :D :thumbsup:

About a month ago, I bought a Kent Sportsman's Knife in cocobolo from a nice old fellow at a gun show. Made by Camillus for F.W.Woolworth's 1931-1955.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/more-on-the-kent-branded-sportsman-knives.585000/
I went back today, and he told me he had found the sheath that went with it and gave it to me. He also had another Kent, possibly a later model with a guard. Of course I had to buy it. ;) I need to clean it a little bit, but I think the handle is bone.

7.5 inches overall length, these were very inexpensive knives with thin blades. I suppose they were marketed to boys, or perhaps thrifty outdoors-men. I'm really impressed by the quality you could find at a five&dime store during the Great Depression. :D
View attachment 796007

Very cool :cool: :thumbsup:

I love that Ibberson, Jack!

Here's another one:
View attachment 796233

Thanks a lot r8shell :) I think Paul Mason's granddad used to buy his cars from Kennings, and I remember the premises well myself. When Kennings vacated the place, Sheffield City Council used it as an overflow garage, and I can remember going there as a young apprentice motor mechanic in their employ in the 1970's. In fact, I sometimes call in for something to eat at the bar and cafe which is in the old building today, just down the road from A.Wright & Son :) That's a lovely knife :thumbsup:

Great bunch of pens everyone, wonderful bone and etches.

I can't add much as far as pens go but here are a couple small ones, a Schrade Cut Co boys single blade sheepsfoot in close to unused condition and a Utica with some type of celluloid handle, also unused.

IMG_7534.jpg IMG_7535.jpg IMG_7536.jpg IMG_7539.jpg IMG_7540.jpg

Boy, you really have to skate to keep up with this thread! The nice old knives keep on coming!
I am a step behind, still on pen knives! This is right up there in cutlery beauty; a Camillus Congress pen. Proportionate jigging, and just-right patina!!
CamSmCongPen.jpg CamSmCongPenPile.jpg CamSmCongPenMainTang.jpg CamSmCongPenSecondTang.jpg

Back