"Old Knives"

Wow!!!
All go here Ladies and Gentleman.
I feel the need to quote each and every one since I last posted- S-K, Jeff, Charlie - love the earlier stamping font on that Cammy Half Congress- have you a date on that one? The German knives are absolutely beautiful.
Gev- your examples are simply stunning my friend - LOVE that old Stag mate.
R8shell - again great examples - what a pleasure to view!
Jack - now my friend - I think it’s time for a small museum for you to be able to place all your lovely Sheffield’s out to view?
Long blade- Wow - some amazing examples - just beautiful.
Lambertiana - that Wee Boker Whittler is gorgeous!
Charlie the Schrade examples and Pearls are mouth watering!!’
Then you keep posting- and out roll Beautiful Stags Jeep coming out - and a Stan Shaw!!!!!
Jack what a pleasure to view those TE’s and William Rogers!! Just love both of those names. You have a seemingly never ending supply of Wonderful old Sheffield’s - with other names added with them to boot!

Thank you everyone for your time in giving this wonderful display.

The pen knife "parade" continues - how :cool: is that and such beautiful examples !!!! :thumbsup:

Jack - WOW mate - you set this parade in full gear and such wonderful examples :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ... I don't even know where to begin as I am still absorbing all of them - and definitely need to look again ... Don't stop now Jack :D ....

Charlie - Super nice pens and with stag :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D... I have not seen many stag handled pens at all.... That is so very cool and gnarly stag too ;) ...

One thing I really enjoy about this thread is the great variety of old knives but when a certain pattern triggers our "like" all share their examples of the pattern style and it is great to have runs of knives of the same kind... that is really awesome!!!

Cheers
Lee

Wonderful examples Jack! Thanks for the nice words Duncan and Lee!
It is hard to pass up a nice Pen, especially one that has some nice detail. They were class acts in their day, and they are classy today as well!!

Thanks Charlie and Lee :)

Here's a few more, the top two gifted to me by Charlie himself :) :thumbsup:

Here's a few of my many Richards knives.

A few more Sheffield Penknives, unfortunately I only have photos of some of my collection :(

Warris

Southern & Richardson

Singleton & Priestman

Another old Joseph Rodgers Quill Knife

Great run of penknives everyone. Here are two more William Rodgers. I think these were made by John Clarke and Son.
View attachment 797402
View attachment 797403

Great-looking Sleeveboards S-K, and in beautiful condition :thumbsup:

Wonderful pen knives Jack and S-K :thumbsup: :thumbsup:...

Thanks Lee :) One day, I'm going to get round to photographing everything I have! :rolleyes: I did come across these pics from a couple of years back, though I've already shown some of these knives I think :thumbsup:

In keeping with so many wonderful pen knives shown recently, here is a related knife with a pencil connection.
The "Eagle Pencil Company" was established in 1856 and continued on until 1945. They were initially manufacturers of lead pencils but formed a cutlery company around 1883 called the "Eagle Cutlery Company."
Why would a pencil company get into the cutlery business? Out of a need to sharpen pencils. Of course, small pocket knives already existed which would have worked perfectly fine to sharpen pencils, but it's clear that the Eagle Co. wanted a piece of the pie as well. Pencil sharpeners were in existence in the early 1800s, but were not really mainstream until around 1897, so a knife was indeed important to sharpen pencils in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The "Eagle Cutlery Company" patented a neat little barrel style knife in 1879 where the blade dropped out of the handle by gravity when a button was pushed on the other end of the handle. An example is shown below along with an advertisement for the knife from 1890.

View attachment 797658

View attachment 797663

Yikes Jack - just awesome :thumbsup: :thumbsup: - you have quite the nice collection of pen knives... BTW - I have alot to photo as well so don't feel bad my friend - time has been few and far between these days for me but have some (maybe many :)) others for sure I would like to share.....

Herder - what a cool knife :thumbsup: and great info to go along with it - I learned something and saw a new style of knife I was not aware of at all so that is cool - thanks my friend :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.....

In keeping with so many wonderful pen knives shown recently, here is a related knife with a pencil connection.
The "Eagle Pencil Company" was established in 1856 and continued on until 1945. They were initially manufacturers of lead pencils but formed a cutlery company around 1883 called the "Eagle Cutlery Company."
Why would a pencil company get into the cutlery business? Out of a need to sharpen pencils. Of course, small pocket knives already existed which would have worked perfectly fine to sharpen pencils, but it's clear that the Eagle Co. wanted a piece of the pie as well. Pencil sharpeners were in existence in the early 1800s, but were not really mainstream until around 1897, so a knife was indeed important to sharpen pencils in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The "Eagle Cutlery Company" patented a neat little barrel style knife in 1879 where the blade dropped out of the handle by gravity when a button was pushed on the other end of the handle. An example is shown below along with an advertisement for the knife from 1890.

View attachment 797658

View attachment 797663
Another super post Herder!!! Great information and cut. I have an knife stamped Ealgle / Phila. ( which seems to have been stamped over a partially removed stamp ) I wonder if its the same company.

18308777105_02b197fa10_b.jpg

Another super post Herder!!! Great information and cut. I have an knife stamped Ealgle / Phila. ( which seems to have been stamped over a partially removed stamp ) I wonder if its the same company.

Nice Eagle. Their main business was buying seconds from other factories and restamping them. I have one that has enough of the original stamp left to see that it started life as a NYKC product.

Last edited:
Gev that is a beautiful bare head jack and beautifully photographed! What is that handle material? Looks like nice antique mellow yellow smooth bone but also has some coloring of old Ivory. The blades look fairly full with patina that compliments the folder/handles very well. A beautiful bomb shield finishes the package very nicely! All around a great looking old well kept Jack:thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 797658

View attachment 797663

Superbly informative post my friend, and what a wonderful knife :) :thumbsup:

Yikes Jack - just awesome :thumbsup: :thumbsup: - you have quite the nice collection of pen knives... BTW - I have alot to photo as well so don't feel bad my friend - time has been few and far between these days for me but have some (maybe many :)) others for sure I would like to share.....

Thank you very much, I'm sure I used to be better organised when I was younger! :rolleyes: Look forward to seeing your knives :) :thumbsup:

An absolute beauty Gev :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Campbellclanman, LongBlade, Gevonovich, and Jack for the nice comments.

Gev., That is a great looking old Eagle branded knife and I love that handle shield, but I don't believe they were connected to the "Eagle Cutlery Co." which were located in New York.

Nice Eagle. Their main business was buying seconds from other factories and restamping them. I have one that has enough of the original stamp left to see that it stated life as a NYKC product.
Thanks Campbellclanman, LongBlade, Gevonovich, and Jack for the nice comments.

Gev., That is a great looking old Eagle branded knife and I love that handle shield, but I don't believe they were connected to the "Eagle Cutlery Co." which were located in New York.

Thanks gentlemen ! Two different companies then :thumbsup::)

Gev that is a beautiful bare head jack and beautifully photographed! What is that handle material? Looks like nice antique mellow yellow smooth bone but also has some coloring of old Ivory. The blades look fairly full with patina that compliments the folder/handles very well. A beautiful bomb shield finishes the package very nicely! All around a great looking old well kept Jack:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you for your fine compliments, Sir! It is smooth yellow bone and the same on both sides :) I only wish it was ivory !

I agree my friend - Gev that Jack is something else indeed- What a Stunning Looking Knife!

Thank you my friend !!:)

Superbly informative post my friend, and what a wonderful knife :) :thumbsup:

Thank you very much, I'm sure I used to be better organised when I was younger! :rolleyes: Look forward to seeing your knives :) :thumbsup:

An absolute beauty Gev :) :thumbsup:
Much appreciated my friend !!:D

Back