"Old Knives"

Thanks Herder, Charlie, VP, Stuart and Duncan :thumbsup: ...

Herder - Nice Wostenholm!! Is that one stamped England on the tang??

VP - The Remington is sweet - the jigging seems to be different on the mark vs pile sides but the mark side has great pocket wear and has been smoothed out - someone loved that knife ;) ... and the Stainless Cut pen - nice find... I think what you are referring to on the Miller Bros sleeveboard may be the crack on the narrow end through the pin on mark side :) ... On your MOP pen are you noting the imperfection line of the pearl? I had read for what it is worth that the cutlers valued more the pearl slabs that had the imperfection lines as shown on your knife and incorporated them when possible if that is correct :cool:...

Stuart - no such thing as a humble empire knife my friend ;) ...

Duncan - me ol' matey - the Miller Bros was a local find from a few years ago unlike the Empire lobster :) ...

I hope I hit all the nice knives above - as many have said and Mike just above - how do you keep up on a thread where the old beauties just keep pouring in - got to love it :) :) :thumbsup: ....

Cheers
Lee

Beautiful knives everyone. Thanks for the show. I was looking through my photos to see what I could contribute along similar lines. This is an Ulster Knife Co. When do you think this one was made? ThanksView attachment 827832
View attachment 827833
View attachment 827834
Woo-hoo... great Ulster S-K :):thumbsup: If I guess within 5 years do I win the knife? Just kidding of course... I don't have my reference material but I think Ulster used that particular tang stamp up until 1941 when Albert Baer took over and they switched to the Ulster USA stamp. Since your knife does not have a Dwight Divine & Son or Dwight Divine & Sons stamp on it, I would say this knife would be after Dwight's death in 1933. So if I were to guess I would say between 1934 and 1941. Any other thoughts?

- V_P

Last edited:
Duckdog my friend
Great Ol Robeson- you that is a grand Old Jack - if that were mine I would slightly take a wee bit more off that reshaped ( now Coping ) Blade and angle it off more to a a 45 degree like a proper Whittler Coping Blade, Knives like this quickly become favourites!

The Bone is interesting to say the least - is this a version of Robedon’s Strawberry Bone?

Thanks for the kind words and the suggestion. I may do that mod, but the current smooth finish on the "coping" blade challenges my skills to do as well. Maybe when I get better skills/tools (I have some other knives to practice on). Yes, that is the Robeson strawberry bone or so it seems to me from other examples that I've seen online (I do not have much in-person experience in that bone color to rely on).
- Stuart

- oldish, but a very good year...........well, quite young really :p :D

IMG_0355.jpg

Whew!
This Thread is unstoppable! MORE! MORE!
Duckdog- thank you for the reply, That wee Shcrade Jack is a Honey- I love them to bits!
Those Pals are simply awesome, I must dig out some knives for follow ups from these great posts, I picked up recently a Pal Clip Point Knife that I have not seen another of yet, so may post this again.
The Bone and Jig work on both those Knives are great to stare into! I love Jigged Bone!

Whew!
This Thread is unstoppable! MORE! MORE!
Duckdog- thank you for the reply, That wee Shcrade Jack is a Honey- I love them to bits!
Those Pals are simply awesome, I must dig out some knives for follow ups from these great posts, I picked up recently a Pal Clip Point Knife that I have not seen another of yet, so may post this again.
The Bone and Jig work on both those Knives are great to stare into! I love Jigged Bone!
Thank you, Duncan, for your comments. I look really look forward to your "finds", as your previous revelations have been very fine. I, too, am going back to look in my boxes to give some worthy blades the light of day.
- Stuart

Beautiful knives everyone. Thanks for the show. I was looking through my photos to see what I could contribute along similar lines. This is an Ulster Knife Co. When do you think this one was made? ThanksView attachment 827832
View attachment 827833
View attachment 827834

Good old Ulster S-K. It dates to around the 1920s / 1930s.
Enclosed is an illustration from 1926 which shows essentially your model with a federal shield, but the model below has the same propeller shield as yours.

View attachment 828506

Back