"Old Knives"

Does anyone have guidance on putting a date on a Kutmaster? Here's a stockman that I'd like to get a closer date on other than "1937-present".

KYBHBxX.jpg

qX8KLJJ.jpg

ml6j9Bh.jpg

- Stuart
Great knife Stuart! Looks like one for the "Stag Saturday" thread ;) Does it have brass or steel liners?

- Kevin

galvanic, Beautiful and rare examples my friend!!!
Chui, nice military model with some neat stampings.
Duckdog, good examples from Schrade, Pal, and Kutmaster. Some nice bone and stag on those models.
S-K, good old Remington that looks like it's performed well over the years.

And a pre-Craftsman Sears brand "Sta-Sharp"... Goins has this one c.1908-1927. This is what a ~100 year old knife should look like... right? I'm sure it was a true "trapper" but when the owner realized he couldn't do much more wtih the clip blade, he decided to reshape the spey into another clip blade LoL. As @LongBlade mentioned earlier "Someone loved that knife ;)" :thumbsup:

STA1.JPG

- V_P

Thanks Stuart :thumbsup: The pictures you posted earlier of the Imperial and Union knives with the "cute little bolsters" reminded me of this one :) The bone on that Union is amazing but the Imperial is pretty impressive too. I didn't realize until recently that Imperial actually had some nice bone knives too, most of the time you just see the Hammer Brand cells. I have an easy open Imperial with bone that I'm going to post sometime soon ;)

- V_P
VP, I went diiging yesterday to find the Imperial that I mentioned after you posted your Imperial- of which Harry followed up nicely with his EO example.
This example is a nice one- although the blades are slightly worn- therefore the tip is blunted a wee bit- but this Knife is a very well made Knife.
This is the only Cattle Knife I have from Imperial, I do have a Scout Knife which has wooden Handles- and this too is actually an outstanding Knife with amazing Walk and Talk!
OHs7x5t.jpg

BORpUKc.jpg

shw5itx.jpg

0KB9WW4.jpg

HM82pbM.jpg

The Scout by Imperial....
FXgE9Eu.jpg

jbEzR33.jpg

Herder my friend I was just about to comment on Jack's William Morton as well- thats a great looking Knife- I really like the elongated Federal Shield ( if that would be the correct terminology to use ) It looks as thought that could be in dimension a real battle field Shield!
Sorry if that sounds silly!

And a pre-Craftsman Sears brand "Sta-Sharp"... Goins has this one c.1908-1927. This is what a ~100 year old knife should look like... right? I'm sure it was a true "trapper" but when the owner realized he couldn't do much more wtih the clip blade, he decided to reshape the spey into another clip blade LoL. As @LongBlade mentioned earlier "Someone loved that knife ;)" :thumbsup:

View attachment 828621

- V_P
Cool knife VP!
I know it is hard to date knives, and not an exact science, but honestly, I don't get the feeling that knife is quite that old. BRL always says "read the knife, not the stamp". From the looks of the pattern and construction it "feels' to me to be more of a shortly after ww2 era knife.
Take with a grain of salt. I have been wrong many times.:)

Heres is a knife that may not stand out as a spectactular knife- but to me it is, here in New Zealand we do come across the odd Military Rope/ClaspKnife- and I just love seeing Jacks posts- as our Jack has a great deal of these- and man are they robust tough Knives- certainly ones to respect as having a great importance in the History of Man in Warfare.
I saw this wade and Butcher Giant come up and I wanted it, this is a beat of a knife and considerably bigger than the "usual" Military issue Knife that we see, this guy is 5 inches closed and weighs a TON!
On the Mark side it is stamped Wade &, Butcher, Sheffield, England. On the Pile side it has the Stampings of the circled B, the Arrow, then the Maltese Cross, with 1936 stamped underneath, now I am not too sure but suspect the 1936 is not a date but pattern- this comes up often- but I place this knife around this era.
On the Marlin Spike it has the Ordnance Stamp and a 6, it would be great to find records as these numbers have meanings as into what particular unit etc these Knives may have been issued to..
Bakelite Handles Im sure although I havent looked too much into this as of yet, Copper Bail as many of the WW issued Knife like this had.

Boy...The guys in the day must have had Nails on their hands that could pull nails from planks- Strong Pull!!

The Blade is nearly full, the snap will take your fingers of if caught in the wrong place- Whew! This is a great knife and I am glad to have it as there is not many of these around- that I have seen anyway - this is not to say they are not out there, but I doubt they are plentiful.
PY3A87C.jpg

LeSS4O8.jpg

oylwun0.jpg

xY5glkP.jpg

RMMrMRq.jpg

ilpGzdI.jpg

1s4MFCb.jpg

bJLwSYd.jpg

I took a photo of the Wade and Butcher with some of it's Cousins, Directly Below the Wade and Butcher ( Top Knife ). is a very early Stag Stamped: Harrison's,Brothers,&Howson, below the Harrisons is a Early Jigged Bone C. Johnson, Brothers ( I have rarely seen the full BROTHERS stamped with CJ Knives ), Below the C. Johnson is A Stag Handled very Early Encore which has a very busy stamped Ricasso.
To the Right is a Horn handled Ibberson, below the Ibberson is a Nicely Main Blade Stamped I*XL.
The knives to the left are a Ordnance Stamped Watts, Sheefield, and below the Watts is a Wraggs, Sheffield with the Copper Bail.
Also is a genuine Lanyard from the WW2 days very kindly gifted to me by the one and only Jack Black!

Dvt8GHu.jpg

Last edited:
Great knives you guys! What a visual treat to see these pages of “old knives” gaining greater interest and participation—keep them coming:thumbsup:!

Mike that PH Lockback is just gorgeous!

Here is a Pacific Hardware English Jack I have for your I hope viewing pleasure. First old folder I have posted here in the this thread in the New Year! Although some prior owner buffed and polished it :( I think it is still an attractive vintage folder. Pacific Hardware & Steel Company circa 1901–1918 Main office San Francisco (Goins). This jack is 4.5 inches closed. Has great pick/gouge type bone handles and the blade are full with no loss. Thanks for looking!
DAD95B8C-7F90-4C19-A8FE-031B86635824.jpeg C1C39C66-1909-4124-BA5A-6507927EE835.jpeg 958EF0AF-9AF7-4339-9E71-EE5F62EF5EC1.jpeg 836A192D-E771-449A-8E21-989426C50B21.jpeg

Very neat Old Schrades VP- Please place these in Charlies thread " Elusive Schrades "

VP, with your posting of the Pal EO, I mentioned a Clip point- I havent to this day seen another Pal Cutlery Clip Point - please if anyone has one- please share this Knife, I took a couple of shots of the Pals, the Clip Point isnt rusty as such- just massively Patina'd
Note the Main of the Pal Clip Point is very similar in shape as some Kutmaster Clip Points.....
qx1prVb.jpg

All nice Long Pulls, The Stamping is of the same as each other.....
ectaY4t.jpg

Cool knife VP!
I know it is hard to date knives, and not an exact science, but honestly, I don't get the feeling that knife is quite that old. BRL always says "read the knife, not the stamp". From the looks of the pattern and construction it "feels' to me to be more of a shortly after ww2 era knife.
Take with a grain of salt. I have been wrong many times.:)
No worries Mark... I was speculating about it possibly being a trapper so the secondary blade could have been anything, based on my reading though I remember seeing that the trapper style was developed in the '20s. I've attached some "less flattering" thumbnail pics of the knife below. Based on everything I see on this knife I have no reason to believe it's not an original... it's pretty beat up and even has wood putty filler where some of the bone had broken off LoL. Whoever did it did a nice job matching color :) I included a pic of the Goins date as well. Let me know what you think.

STA2.JPG STA3.JPG STA4.JPG STA5.JPG STA6.JPG STA7.JPG STA8.JPG

- Kevin

Luger my friend - a pleasure viewing it is- although polished I ask myself- "well...would I still want this knife? or do I walk away from it because it has been cleaned? often the case is I end up waxing the knife and placing it in my collection lol- That one I certainly would- not a name that comes up- but also that Bone is simply drop dead gorgeous- the Jig work, the Colouring- everything about that Bone is spectacular!
The Bolster has a real nice subtle Rats Tail, and a killer of a Prop Shield as well, Long Pull sneaking into the Tang there as well!- thats a neat score my friend, well done!

Thanks Duncan and Jeff for your kind remarks/comments on my PHEJ—much appreciated!!

Here is another old knife I got just recently. Almost relic status but I just couldn’t pass up or forget the bone handles on this early Challenge Cutlery Moose:eek: It is four inches closed. Blade loss, crack in pile side handle, piece of handle bone missing on mark side below center pin and a anemic snap on clip blade! But I like the darn thing anywayo_O!!
5BD71AF4-4276-476A-A6E6-7DFD59D58019.jpeg DF1B2A19-5AB8-4E8A-885E-357253EB372E.jpeg 0267CF77-DFDC-4091-A950-6051F61FBD89.jpeg 7EFD1523-F5D6-46C7-BA35-284C80B6AB42.jpeg 8C57417B-152F-498A-97C5-A98108AE2396.jpeg

Last edited:
Picked up this beauty the other day... don't know much about it but it sure is a nice looking whittler! Feel and snap are :thumbsup:

View attachment 828543
View attachment 828545 View attachment 828546 View attachment 828547

Anybody familiar with this tang stamp?

- V_P
Nice looking whittler, vp. I'm not familiar with that stamp, but I looked it up in Blade's Guide to Knives and Their Values, vol. 7, and found this:

CELEBRATED, WARRANTED, CAST STEEL,
ENGLISH STEEL, etc., without an English place name
(such as “Sheffi eld”): often indicates a knife made in
Germany or Austria-Hungary, mainly before 1891, for export
to the United States.

Back