"Old Knives"

It would be interesting to figure out, Russell made a point, in an early history they put out, about how much faster swaging the bolsters under steam power was, one of the reasons they could become competitive.

Absolutely :thumbsup: Unfortunately - for me - almost all the old Barlows seem to have been exported, I just don't come across very old examples of the pattern here :( Charlie, or one of our other members with good collections of old Sheffield Barlows, may be more helpful :thumbsup:

Absolutely :thumbsup: Unfortunately - for me - almost all the old Barlows seem to have been exported, I just don't come across very old examples of the pattern here :( Charlie, or one of our other members with good collections of old Sheffield Barlows, may be more helpful :thumbsup:
Hopefully Charlie (or someone else) has some notion, although as you know the cutlery industry was not known for its record keeping! Considering the hard use most of these knives would have seen, it is indeed remarkable to see them in any condition, much more so perhaps than the higher end knives made for the more genteel classes of the time.

Anyone know who made this old Enderes knife? Odd blade options and seems old and German with the steel pin on the NS bolster. I think I'll sharpen it and carry it, was all rusted shut I've spent the better part of the last two evenings rubbing on it with mineral oil and steel whool, nice snap now open and close, the spear has a half stop the clip does not.2018-01-15 21.00.11.jpg 2018-01-15 21.01.19.jpg 2018-01-15 21.00.54.jpg

That does not look like the original pin in that Enderes. It was probably apart at some point. How well do the blades fit in both closed and open positions?

It all fits together very well, the nick on the clip point isn't accessible without the spear point deployed but that seems like a design issue not because it was put back together. If it was replaced it was replaced long ago and they did a very good job as the knife is very solid without any gaps or anything.

The knives that I am carrying today are, relatively, much younger than several of those posted recently. These two are almost twins: both are 4-blade equal end pen knives (senators) with tip bolsters, narrow spear mains, and matching cut-outs at the nail nicks so the blades can sit low. The Ulster (1876-1941) is wearing brown jigged bone and brass liners, the U.S. Cutlery Co. (1920-1941) is in very dark brown jigged bone and brass liners. Both are under 3.5" closed.

L7uJV6F.jpg

BmwOiVA.jpg

OBUXcAW.jpg

PXyuIM7.jpg

Nh2ulG6.jpg

I understand that the U.S. Cutlery Company was formed from a "cutlery trust" formed in Trenton, NJ, in 1892 by the following major knife makers: Miller Bros. (Meridien, CT), New York Knife Co. (Walden,NY), Walden Knife Co. (Walden, NY), and Dwight Devine (Ellenville, NY). Otherwise, my short search for info on them was fruitless (still looking).
- Stuart

The knives that I am carrying today are, relatively, much younger than several of those posted recently. These two are almost twins: both are 4-blade equal end pen knives (senators) with tip bolsters, narrow spear mains, and matching cut-outs at the nail nicks so the blades can sit low. The Ulster (1876-1941) is wearing brown jigged bone and brass liners, the U.S. Cutlery Co. (1920-1941) is in very dark brown jigged bone and brass liners. Both are under 3.5" closed.

L7uJV6F.jpg

BmwOiVA.jpg

OBUXcAW.jpg

PXyuIM7.jpg

Nh2ulG6.jpg

I understand that the U.S. Cutlery Company was formed from a "cutlery trust" formed in Trenton, NJ, in 1892 by the following major knife makers: Miller Bros. (Meridien, CT), New York Knife Co. (Walden,NY), Walden Knife Co. (Walden, NY), and Dwight Devine (Ellenville, NY). Otherwise, my short search for info on them was fruitless (still looking).
- Stuart
Couple of beauties Stuart :thumbsup:

- Kevin

North Shore
I am sure my friend that I have a Enderes Jack or Cattle Knife somewhere.
I will have a look for you Sir.

I don’t think at all that these are German- ( from memory of viewing the Manufacture of my Knife ) I will will be back with some photos when I find the Knife.
I store most of my Knives away from Home these days so it takes a bit to get to them.

Getting back to the Enderes - now if I remember correctly- my Knife has the Utica Bone - near exact as to what the 80’s Winchester Black Box series Knives had as Handles, which could give strong leads as to whom manufactured the Knife.

Last edited:
Wow! Do you reckon the Ed Furness to be a bit more recent of an example than the Furness knife Kevin posted a little earlier? I see that it has a tang stamp and the letters on the bolster stamp looks well done. Both are outstanding examples, given their age.

Not sure, I'd like to know more about my knife

Back