"Old Knives"

above is the Vancamp I purchased at the antique fair yesterday. it seems to have been exposed to something very corrosive in storage. the blades seem full at the edge, but the spines have rusted/pitted to a surprising amount. I dont know much about Vancamp knives so I figured Id post it and see what I could learn. Also I figured its condition made it so that I didnt have to worry about actually putting it in my pocket:)

I have what I think is a Needham Brothers swell center jack in smooth green bone (horn?), but I'm not certain. All that I can see on the Needham tangs are EEDHAM over HILL ST over SHEFFIELD on the pen and SHEFFIELD over ENGLAND on the spear main. I take that to be Needham Brothers (1860-1900), but they often had a REPEAT trademark stamp, which mine does not have.

FOQ6EVJ.jpg

Op5QAGC.jpg

x5BpYC3.jpg

YAPeDZF.jpg

As seen, the blades hew close to the pile side brass liner, but don't have scuff marks - they do have some pepper flake/cloudiness at the top edges where they are close to the liner.

9LY9xyw.jpg

- Stuart

above is the Vancamp I purchased at the antique fair yesterday. it seems to have been exposed to something very corrosive in storage. the blades seem full at the edge, but the spines have rusted/pitted to a surprising amount. I dont know much about Vancamp knives so I figured Id post it and see what I could learn. Also I figured its condition made it so that I didnt have to worry about actually putting it in my pocket:)

Goins lists Van Camp H&I c. 1888-1960. Van Camp Hardware & Iron, based in Indianapolis. Nice teardrop.

Goins lists Van Camp H&I c. 1888-1960. Van Camp Hardware & Iron, based in Indianapolis. Nice teardrop.
thank you! I had found that information, and that they didn't manufacture the knives but rather had them made, but thats all so far. Thank you very much!

WMB, Camillus, Boker and Imperial made Knives for Van Camp Hardware. Maybe some others also. I know a couple of collectors who say New York Knife Company also made Knives on contract for Van Camp. I have a Van Camp and so made a few notes from my research a few years ago about who might have made it. Also, this book has a very small section on Van Camp Hardware “Official Price Guide to Collector Knives” by Houston Price and Mark D. Zalesky. Hope this helps some!

Last edited:
I have what I think is a Needham Brothers swell center jack in smooth green bone (horn?), but I'm not certain. All that I can see on the Needham tangs are EEDHAM over HILL ST over SHEFFIELD on the pen and SHEFFIELD over ENGLAND on the spear main. I take that to be Needham Brothers (1860-1900), but they often had a REPEAT trademark stamp, which mine does not have.

FOQ6EVJ.jpg

Op5QAGC.jpg

x5BpYC3.jpg

YAPeDZF.jpg

As seen, the blades hew close to the pile side brass liner, but don't have scuff marks - they do have some pepper flake/cloudiness at the top edges where they are close to the liner.

9LY9xyw.jpg

- Stuart
Nice knife Duckdog - pretty sure that is horn.

Nice knife Duckdog - pretty sure that is horn.

Thanks. Yes, I went back to look it over after I noticed the "hollow opening" formed the center pin's hole on the mark side. That and the grain look more like horn, neither of which I had noted closely before I snapped the pictures.
- Stuart

I have to agree with the guys Stuart - that Robeson is a wee Beauty!

Let’s not look past that Weck & Sons Sleevebiard though - stunning old Jigged Bone - so close to Pic Bone it’s not funny!

Great Knife show everyone with the older advertising Knives as well! :) :thumbsup:

Hey Stuart - do you think that Needham is of recent construction? I admit to not seeing too many Sheffield’s around like that one my friend :cool::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Very Nice Stuart! That Pocket Eze is a looker... Oooo la-la :D

I have to agree with the guys Stuart - that Robeson is a wee Beauty!

Let’s not look pat that Weck & Sons Sleevebiard though - stunning old Jigged Bone - so close to Pic Bone it’s not funny!

Great Knife show everyone with the older advertising Knives as well! :) :thumbsup:

Hey Stuart - do you think that Needham is of recent construction? I admit to not seeing too many Sheffield’s around like that one my friend :cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, guys. Duncan, as I mentioned to Jack Black Jack Black in another thread, I am conflicted on the dates for the Needham Bros. The 1860-1900 date is from Levine; Goins says they lasted until 1953. Needham, Veall & Tyzack are still rolling at the Eyewitness Works, Milton Street, Shefield, according to Goins, but I don't know that mine is from them. My readily available resources for Sheffield knives is, unfortunately, thin. I need to to some more Needham noodling. Any info that folks here might have about Needham Bros. and my knife would be appreciated.
- Stuart

Thanks, guys. Duncan, as I mentioned to Jack Black Jack Black in another thread, I am conflicted on the dates for the Needham Bros. The 1860-1900 date is from Levine; Goins says they lasted until 1953. Needham, Veall & Tyzack are still rolling at the Eyewitness Works, Milton Street, Shefield, according to Goins, but I don't know that mine is from them. My readily available resources for Sheffield knives is, unfortunately, thin. I need to to some more Needham noodling. Any info that folks here might have about Needham Bros. and my knife would be appreciated.
- Stuart

Sorry for having been slow to see this Stuart, I was a bit preoccupied yesterday :) I'll just add my response from the EDC thread :thumbsup:

The confusion may partly be due to the fact that there were at least two Needham Brothers firms, a Charles Needham, Robert M Needham, William Needham, and Thomas Needham of Needham, Veall & Tyzack. The Needham of Hill Street was William Needham (1853-1915), originally a maker of silver fruit knives, working in Jessop Street from around 1881, and in Eyre Street from 1911. After William's death, the business continued under his son, William Henry Needham (1877-1963). At the end of the 1930's the firm moved to Portland Work (the factory of R.F. Moseley, where Harry Brearley made the world's first stainless steel knives in 1913 - and where Jack Black Knives was based 100 years later ;) ) in Hill Street. William Henry died in 1963, but the firm was still listed in the 1970's, possibly run by William Henry's son, William Edwin Needham (1903-1971).

An Edward Weck & Sons sleeveboard pen (1892-1943) and a Robeson SHUREDGE Pocket Eze dogleg jack (1922-1946). The Pocket Eze gets its moniker from the fully sunken joints - smart marketing.

9yJVCwR.jpg

Gge4EQ3.jpg

K5oGvgG.jpg

- Stuart
Nice! Those both look eze on the pocket! :D

Here's a Robeson ShurEdge m.o.p. 2 7/8" sleeveboard. The joints are so sunken I can't see if it's stamped USA or Rochester. I thought it was a cool find but, What did they do to the poor pen blade?!?
Robeson Shuredge mop 4.jpg
Robeson shuredge mop 1.jpg Robeson shuredge mop 2.jpg

Back