"Old Knives"

A shadow senator in MOP cladding with sunken joints by Holley Manufacturing Co., Lakeville, Conn. from the 1854-1930s period.

2v4Fwpc.jpg

fa8JrVM.jpg

mb4rZwQ.jpg

- Stuart
Exquisite.

I deliberately kept away from this thread for some time so that the pictures and info would make for a nice lengthy leisurely viewing time on my day off. And all you guys did not disappoint. As I've said before this is my favorite place to come and hang out. Thank you for all the beautiful old knives information. I just try to soak this all up like a sponge. A while back I said that I was out of old knives to add that everybody hasn't already seen but hopefully for a moment y'all can pretend like I haven't ever posted this one. :D This old Catt electricians knife has been calling out to me to get some pocket time.IMG_3843.PNG

Your knife is a 2153, I have one just like it. Schrade cut usually does not have a stamped pattern number.

View attachment 906600
D Duckdog

When I saw Stuart's knife it reminded me of this 3-3/8" peachseed Schrade Cut Co that I have... it looks like it too is a 2153 but with the sheepsfoot main blade instead of the spear so a 2153-1/2. The only thing wrong with this knife is blade wear, otherwise it feels awesome in hand :cool::thumbsup:

SCCJK-1A.JPG

1926 Catalog
SCCPS-2B.JPG

1940 Catalog
SCCPS-2C.JPG

And now for this mystery knife... I long thought this one was a fake and that someone had added an NYK blade to a weird frame. The blade almost looked spray painted black but for some reason the other night I decided to give it a cleaning with WD-40, a dish-washing scrubber and some elbow grease. The blade started to show up pretty nice and the more I studied the fit/feel the more I started to wonder if in fact it is a real knife. It has half stop, light snap in both directions and the pins do not look tampered with at all. It is a really heavy knife, the sides appear to made from 3/32" thick stainless steel and there are no liners. The pin opposite the blade end makes me think this may have been an interchangeable blade knife, probably with nice attachments considering the sturdiness of the body/frame... certainly not "Dad's Disappointment Kit" that @Jack Black mentioned about the Imperial sets ;) So I was wondering if anyone with NYK reference material has seen or heard of an interchangeable NYK Hammer Brand knife with stainless steel sides and no liners.

NYKMYSTERY-1A.JPG NYKMYSTERY-1B.JPG NYKMYSTERY-1C.JPG

And now for this mystery knife... I long thought this one was a fake and that someone had added an NYK blade to a weird frame. The blade almost looked spray painted black but for some reason the other night I decided to give it a cleaning with WD-40, a dish-washing scrubber and some elbow grease. The blade started to show up pretty nice and the more I studied the fit/feel the more I started to wonder if in fact it is a real knife. It has half stop, light snap in both directions and the pins do not look tampered with at all. It is a really heavy knife, the sides appear to made from 3/32" thick stainless steel and there are no liners. The pin opposite the blade end makes me think this may have been an interchangeable blade knife, probably with nice attachments considering the sturdiness of the body/frame... certainly not "Dad's Disappointment Kit" that @Jack Black mentioned about the Imperial sets ;) So I was wondering if anyone with NYK reference material has seen or heard of an interchangeable NYK Hammer Brand knife with stainless steel sides and no liners.

View attachment 908486 View attachment 908487 View attachment 908488

Kevin, I've definitely seen a number of their kits, mostly with wood or bone handles though. Yours are most likely not stainless, but rather nickel silver. Very cool knife!

Eric

Back