"Old Knives"

I have a few to add once I can take pictures, the first is an unused Remington R703 hawkbill, how a knife stays unused for 80 to 90 years I have no idea. Its been very damp around here for the last several weeks.

Wow, that's gorgeous, Augie!!
- Stuart

Just a superior Remington, Augie!! :eek:
I have got to start hacking your sources of incredible knives!!:rolleyes:
Congrats!!!:thumbsup:

Charlie, you've been my source for some of them, thanks buddy:D

Paul, Stuart, thank you for the comments, appreciated. This Remington was a little bit of a gamble as seller only posted one dark picture but it paid off well, pretty pleased when I pulled it out of the box.

Some outstanding knives shown recently by V.P., Duckdog, and Augie. Thanks for the virtual museum tour guys!!!

Than you, herder. The pair that I'm posting today aren't as old as the others, though Bernard Levine opines that the leg knife pattern is around 300 years old. These two caplifters are by Valley Forge Cutlery Co. (Boker USA) from the 1916-1950 period. They are small (3 1/8"), but stout enough for the toughest cap. I'll test them this afternoon just to confirm.

ELnSAow.jpg

AhRoBvE.jpg

Qa1tXtP.jpg

wEbCdwm.jpg

We had a recent discussion in this thread about the VF tang marks and this one vexed me at first. I was perplexed as to the maker:

Y3BaWXZ.jpg

Until I turned the knife over:

YzftawB.jpg

I'm learning as I go.
- Stuart

Stuart - nice legs you have there my friend :p
In all seriousness- I do really like earlier French Kate’s- and those two are great!

Augie, this is becoming a habit my friend.
WOW!!!
That Boker is a Beautiful Washington Jack matey with gorgeous Bone!

That Ulster is a beauty as well- fancy finding as you say a knife like this - or that amazing Robeson unused! :eek:

Stuart, really like those leg knives, very pleasing to the eye.

Thanks, Augie, and I really like the jack and scout - well loved knives it appears, and nicely photographed.

Stuart - nice legs you have there my friend :p
In all seriousness- I do really like earlier French Kate’s- and those two are great!

I'm blushing, but my beard is hiding my modesty. hanks, Duncan. And I agree with you on Augie's post.
- Stuart

Here are a few of mine, I love a good old well built knife/car/motorcycle/tool/gal!
A.W. Wadsworth (A Kastor & bros.) “Sterling Service” on the blade, 1905-1922.

3A042499-820E-418D-8E8F-9F386D5ECF03 by jim nevill, on Flickr

An Eagleton knife co (Wester & Butz) whittler, c1890.

281DDEE2-1FB8-4C98-9159-65F454C82AB1 by jim nevill, on Flickr

And this little beauty, a true Gentlemen’s knife, mother of pearl with solid gold fittings. The master blade is stamped “F.M. Co.” And nothing else.

C35BD69D-D5C5-45BE-ABEA-92DBC782B1BC by jim nevill, on Flickr

FB413351-93DC-4A90-99D2-A695F8E56706 by jim nevill, on Flickr

22C827B2-28B5-4BBC-BDC8-F71B2EE5ECB9 by jim nevill, on Flickr

Last edited:
Your post jogged my memory that I have an IXL Wostenholm like that, shown here with a companion Ulster.

DhXueCZ.jpg

Lj8It7o.jpg

aiy3jeJ.jpg

VLAIM1Q.jpg

- Stuart

AWESOME, I was wondering if the tweezers and pick were original to the knife, apparently they are! Do you know the name of the pattern?

Jim

Back