"Old Knives"

This Hudson's Bay HJ is the only one I have ever seen, herder. Bernie Levine once owned it and agrees with the rarity. I am lucky to have it!!

View attachment 990144

Older HJs in general are hard to find. Manufacturers stopped making them, as horses disappeared from our streets, and as machine belts were improved.

Fantastic example, and what a great blade stamp!!! Do you know who made this knife for Hudson's Bay, and the approximate age?
Very nice A. Fields H.J. as well, thanks for showing it.

Augie, beautiful old Utica dogleg, and that etch just tops the cake.

V.P., Challenge knives are certainly few and far between, and yours is a wonderful example.

Nice old German Field pattern, herder!! You come up with some incredible oldies!!

o5xyGmE.jpg

Here is an old and unusual Alfred Fields model with the "Parker & Field" blade stamp. This pattern is called a "Deer Foot" with its resemblance to such.
It has a very unique rear blade release lock tab at the back end of the handle. This old German made stag handled model dates to around the late 1800s.

View attachment 990919
Now that is a treat to the nth degree ! A tail locker...wow !!

A Field  Co  Progress300.jpg A Fields and co Progress.JPG Lots of collectible knives posted since I have visited.

I was especially keen on the A Fields conversation. I became interested when I acquired this knife. I’m not sure who made it. Bill Howard mentioned he found an A Fields box at the old Queen (aka Schatt and Mogan) building while he worked there.

I’m pretty sure this one doesn’t have any of that dna though. But...

What a Stellar example Lyle!
I love everything about that Knife - the shape of the secondary Blade is simply fantastic!
A question please Sir......
If unsure of the maker of such a knife - do you do side by side comparisons with Schrade FJ’s and such?

View attachment 991471 View attachment 991472 Lots of collectible knives posted since I have visited.

I was especially keen on the A Fields conversation. I became interested when I acquired this knife. I’m not sure who made it. Bill Howard mentioned he found an A Fields box at the old Queen (aka Schatt and Mogan) building while he worked there.

Campbellclanman Campbellclanman

Schrade 1936 Catalog Supplement... Looks like a match to me Lyle :):thumbsup:

SCHRADE S7303.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice comments, Campbellclanman, waynorth, Gevonovich, Goetztalon, and Loastball.
The deerfoot pattern was pretty popular through out Europe in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
And some fixed and folding blade knives had handles made from actual deer feet.

View attachment 991471 View attachment 991472 Lots of collectible knives posted since I have visited.

Beautiful old Farmer's Jack, wlfryjr. With your vast collection of these unique knives, do you have a suspicion who made it?

Smells like a Schrade from here!!
:D

Thanks for the nice comments, Campbellclanman, waynorth, Gevonovich, Goetztalon, and Loastball.
The deerfoot pattern was pretty popular through out Europe in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
And some fixed and folding blade knives had handles made from actual deer feet.

You are welcome my friend, I have owned many actual Deer Foot Fixed Blades in my time of Knife collecting, still own a very nice ( as nice as a cut off Deer's foot can be ) Deers Foot Folder - in fact its quite large compared to most I have seen, and seems to be quite high in Quality.
Its a Ring Lockback Folder made by Fredrick Herder & Son, Solingen.

Back