"Old Knives"

Ooh Paul, that is a Sweetheart- Everything about that old One arm is great!

Charlie, Those are beautiful examples- love the "reverse" Congress at the bottom- Im not too sure as to what the actual name of that Congress would be?

Great side by side comparison, so far it looks to be Remington- your top and bottom Remington's - the Spring Pins, The Jig work look bang on! ( in my opinion- which 99% of the time is wrong :) :oops: )
That bottom Remington is a muskrat Duncan. It was the only Rem I had that had Bone resembling the subject; sorry for the confusion!!

A well worn TIP TOP Sword Brand 4 line Camillus Barlow arrived a couple of days back. DEEP stamp on the bolsters, solid blades with no play, funny how the pen lived through a pretty noticeable bend without snapping off:eek: I love the well worn sawcut covers, the one arm razor is pretty full and got absolutely SCARY sharp as is common with old carbon. One very stable hairline crack which just adds character to the old girl:thumbsup:
m7sJC0.jpg

0ZnZp8.jpg

PSuZnG.jpg

Nqy62b.jpg

Not an optical illusion:eek:
S9qqQH.jpg

Just a great old Barlow:thumbsup:
lGX8QS.jpg

tdZHF1.jpg

M1rj66.jpg

9441k7.jpg

g12B0T.jpg
That is a fantastic Camillus, Paul, and in tip top shape! :D:thumbsup:
I have one not so old, and while the tang stamp was updated, it looks like they used the exact same bolster stamp. It sports the same oddly asymmetrical T, and slightly tapered I, etc. Really cool! :cool:
z4a2UFW.jpg

Please dont apologise about confusion- one with eyes open would have seen it - its me who should apologise for being confused :):oops:, maybe those kicks to the head did do something eh?:eek:

( Laughing out loud ) In all honesty Charlie I was sipping a cup of Tea, and looked at you post a spat out my tea- thankfully not over the keyboard, but my Bank statements paid the price..... I didnt even look at the Blades lol I was purely focused on the Bone, I looked back at your post with the congresses and immediately the wash of shame hit me ....Oh well I did it again - Im still sticking to Remington!

I have one not so old, and while the tang stamp was updated, it looks like they used the exact same bolster stamp. It sports the same oddly asymmetrical T, and slightly tapered I, etc. Really cool! :cool:
z4a2UFW.jpg
Good catch r8shell in regards to the bolster stamp:cool: with the years in between production that quite possibly the same TIP TOP stamp was obviously still in use? even if the die was replaced they kept the exact same stamp:thumbsup:

Thanks! I just wondered if it was purposely crinked or bent to clear. I would NOT try to straighten it!!
Looks usable!! Nice!
I'm with you Charlie:thumbsup: the pen is fine "as is" In the past I have actually crinked a spey blade back to center with helpful advice from Ed (Modoc Ed) . It was on a 1970 Case trapper and I was sweatin bullets the entire time:eek:

I donated a knife to science and received this beauty as a "thank you"... all told, I think I made out pretty good ;) Many thanks mad scientist :D Now can we guess who made this congress? My first thought was NYK but it sure looks like the Schrade Cut Co 7753 including the polish on the mark side sheepsfoot. My only hesitation is that the bone doesn't look Schrade-ish, any thoughts jigged bone gurus?

View attachment 1029833 View attachment 1029834 View attachment 1029835

View attachment 1029836

Kevin, don't know if it helps any but here is a KeenKutter K16 for comparison.

IMG_7931.jpg

A well worn TIP TOP Sword Brand 4 line Camillus Barlow arrived a couple of days back. DEEP stamp on the bolsters, solid blades with no play, funny how the pen lived through a pretty noticeable bend without snapping off:eek: I love the well worn sawcut covers, the one arm razor is pretty full and got absolutely SCARY sharp as is common with old carbon. One very stable hairline crack which just adds character to the old girl:thumbsup:
m7sJC0.jpg

0ZnZp8.jpg

PSuZnG.jpg

Nqy62b.jpg

Not an optical illusion:eek:
S9qqQH.jpg

Just a great old Barlow:thumbsup:
lGX8QS.jpg

tdZHF1.jpg

M1rj66.jpg

9441k7.jpg

g12B0T.jpg

Paul, great pick up buddy, can't remember if I've ever seen another with the one arm blade but I bet our friend Charlie has a mint set sitting somewhere :D

I like those early Tip Top's, great bolster stamp and a relatively large framed Barlow, feel great in the hand, couple I have.

IMG_8174.jpg IMG_3515.jpg

View attachment 1030304
There is some appearance similarities between your Keen Kutter and this old Cattaraugus IMO , but I think there are differences in the Jigging and a little more like Kevin's veitsi_poika veitsi_poika .

Harry

Last edited:
Paul, great pick up buddy, can't remember if I've ever seen another with the one arm blade but I bet our friend Charlie has a mint set sitting somewhere :D

I like those early Tip Top's, great bolster stamp and a relatively large framed Barlow, feel great in the hand, couple I have.

View attachment 1030305 View attachment 1030306
Nice TIP TOPs Paul, Augie and Rachel!!
Augie, TIP TOP is one of the Barlow brands I haven't "filled up" yet. I only have a spear and a clip, probably because I am easily distracted!!:rolleyes:
So many knives . . . . . . . . . .so little time!!!:eek:

Beautiful Old Barlow’s everyone.
Camillus with their striking Bone on Paul’s, R8shell’s and Augies Barlow’s is a sight to behold.
Augie, That Spey Barlow is such a find ! As is Paul’s Older one arm, Augie that Congress is a Stellar example my friend.

Harry Sir- That Old Cat is just great. :cool:

A question for you folks......
Tip Top Bolsters.
What is the Tip Top referring to - I do remember this being asked in the past but for the life of me I cannot remember the answer.
Tip Top was a saying as in “ Tip Top condition “ etc
In New Zealand we have a massive Ice Cream Brand called Tip Top, I’m not too sure if this is International- but the firm is old.

Beautiful Old Barlow’s everyone.
Camillus with their striking Bone on Paul’s, R8shell’s and Augies Barlow’s is a sight to behold.
Augie, That Spey Barlow is such a find ! As is Paul’s Older one arm, Augie that Congress is a Stellar example my friend.

Harry Sir- That Old Cat is just great. :cool:

A question for you folks......
Tip Top Bolsters.
What is the Tip Top referring to - I do remember this being asked in the past but for the life of me I cannot remember the answer.
Tip Top was a saying as in “ Tip Top condition “ etc
In New Zealand we have a massive Ice Cream Brand called Tip Top, I’m not too sure if this is International- but the firm is old.

Duncan, as far as I know Tip Top just stands for excellent, very best, highest quality, etc.

Please dont apologise about confusion- one with eyes open would have seen it - its me who should apologise for being confused :):oops:, maybe those kicks to the head did do something eh?:eek:

( Laughing out loud ) In all honesty Charlie I was sipping a cup of Tea, and looked at you post a spat out my tea- thankfully not over the keyboard, but my Bank statements paid the price..... I didnt even look at the Blades lol I was purely focused on the Bone, I looked back at your post with the congresses and immediately the wash of shame hit me ....Oh well I did it again - Im still sticking to Remington!
waynorth waynorth

Found these examples online... as long as it seems rational that HSB had Remington make some knives for them, I am on-board with Duncan for this being a Remington made knife. ;) I haven't double-checked the Remington lingo but the description is for an R6143, 3-1/2" half congress.

R6143.JPG R6143B.JPG R6143C.JPG
HSBC-1A.JPG

Good eye guys!

Man, this page is just full of Incredibles!!
I, too, now must be "In Search Of" a Tip Top barlow, and Remingtons, and Catt's....does the list ever end??:eek:

z4a2UFW.jpg

View attachment 1030304

View attachment 1030305 View attachment 1030306

There is some appearance similarities between your Keen Kutter and this old Cattaraugus IMO , but I think there are differences in the Jigging and a little more like Kevin's veitsi_poika veitsi_poika .

Harry

waynorth waynorth

Found these examples online... as long as it seems rational that HSB had Remington make some knives for them, I am on-board with Duncan for this being a Remington made knife. ;) I haven't double-checked the Remington lingo but the description is for an R6143, 3-1/2" half congress.

View attachment 1030559 View attachment 1030560 View attachment 1030561
View attachment 1030562

Good eye guys!

Back