"Old Knives"

Kudos go out to this page knife contributors:thumbsup:
This wonderful Schrade Cut Co had a "Make an Offer" so I did and it was accepted:eek: I called Duncan (10:30) New Zedland time and had to gush about this great specimen:)
I'll store this in my safe and hide the key when Duncan comes to visit next year;):D

A Schrade Cut Co Harness Jack with Deep "HOLYOKE BELT C.O. stamped on the main blade. Blades are absolutely solid, with the main centered in the well. Half stops that are crisp with flush springs in closed, half and open positions:thumbsup: Perfect peachseed bone with fantastic color and no chips or cracks. To my surprise it arrived with the most perfect convex edge that just slices through thin receipt paper:p measure 3 1/2" closed.

Okay, I am smitten with this old girl;););)

Sorry, light was fading so pictures aren't the best.
wavTgx.jpg

i4Uvdm.jpg

0tX49W.jpg

sznMn3.jpg

Dang Paul, that's one fine knife!!!
I do believe there are more than a few here looking at that pretty old gal with a lustful eye. :)

This wonderful Schrade Cut Co had a "Make an Offer" so I did and it was accepted:eek: I called Duncan (10:30) New Zedland time and had to gush about this great specimen:)
I'll store this in my safe and hide the key when Duncan comes to visit next year;):D

A Schrade Cut Co Harness Jack with Deep "HOLYOKE BELT C.O. stamped on the main blade. Blades are absolutely solid, with the main centered in the well. Half stops that are crisp with flush springs in closed, half and open positions:thumbsup: Perfect peachseed bone with fantastic color and no chips or cracks. To my surprise it arrived with the most perfect convex edge that just slices through thin receipt paper:p measure 3 1/2" closed.

wavTgx.jpg

i4Uvdm.jpg

0tX49W.jpg

sznMn3.jpg
This must have been the fourth or fifth time that I went back to that beauty my friend .

Harry

Great Holyoke, Paul!! Nice when they are in great shape like that one!!
I tried reading that cursive, Gev, but it is beyond Joanne and I. I might know someone who can get it!!

Great H&B Kevin. A tour de force showing Charlie. Paul, wow! Keep Duncan way from that one. Beautiful.

Dang Paul, that's one fine knife!!!
I do believe there are more than a few here looking at that pretty old gal with a lustful eye. :)

This must have been the fourth or fifth time that I went back to that beauty my friend .

Harry

Charlie, Mike, herder and Harry, thank you all, it's a fun knife to drop in one's pocket for very light duty work;):D

Great Holyoke, Paul!! Nice when they are in great shape like that one!!
I tried reading that cursive, Gev, but it is beyond Joanne and I. I might know someone who can get it!!
I can make out most of the cursive... it basically is just a letter that says "we procrastinated and need this stuff ASAP and at your lowest price possible" :D

The line just below the knife...

"... you an order for nails, knives & m___ . We wish you to execute on your most turnable times. (Something about prices above that). We had intended to have sent you an order a long time ago but we have not been able to take count of stock and make out an order. We have been out of some sizes for a short time and desire you to give this order immediate attention."

Capture.JPG

wavTgx.jpg

i4Uvdm.jpg

0tX49W.jpg

sznMn3.jpg

What a beauty Paul, almost made a offer on that one myself, glad you got it.

Nice Robeson, Kevin!
View attachment 1065898 View attachment 1065899 And good job on that old-time cursive!!
Here's the whole letter for your reading pleasure!!!:D
Cool Charlie! OK... So now that I can see everything, this is an order to "Providence Tool Co" for nuts, washers, etc. Here is some background on them:

"The Providence Tool Company was the outgrowth of the business ventures of two brothers. In 1834, Joseph and Jeremiah Arnold began manufacturing nuts and washers in Pawtucket. When Joseph retired, Jeremiah joined William Field, named their business William Field & Co., and moved to Providence in 1846. In April 1847 the name was changed to the Providence Tool Company.

The company is known for its ammunition production. However, in its early years, it primarily made hammers, pick axes, marlinspikes, nuts, and bolts. In 1856 it merged with the Providence Forge and Nut Company. The Providence Tool Company was successful in supplying machine parts and tools across the nation.

The Civil War created a demand for companies to make munitions for the Union army. The Providence Tool Company took up the call and began weapons manufacturing in 1861. The Company hired Frederick W. Howe, a former supervisor at the Robbins and Lawrence Armory in Windsor, Vermont, to help start the manufacturing of arms.

During the 1860 and 1870s the company continued to produce hardware and machinery. The business expanded so much that in 1867 it opened an office in New York and London. In 1869 the London office closed and when the company encountered difficulty in 1875, the New York office closed as well. In 1873, it received a contract from Singer Sewing Machines to make sewing machines and made machines under other brand names.

From 1872 to 1875, the Providence Tool Company obtained arms contracts with the Turkish government. These contracts helped finance the company's expansion from 148 West River St. to additional plants at 41 and 95 Wickenden St. By the turn of the century the Tool Company had produced 850,000 firearms. The Turkish government did not pay for the arms produced by the 1873 and 1875 contracts. The company became involved with legal battles and lost money on interest and defaulted loans. Finally in 1885 the company reorganized as the Rhode Island Tool Company, which still exists in 1999."

What a beauty Paul, almost made a offer on that one myself, glad you got it.
Thanks Augie, I had eyeballed it for a while and thought, why not make an offer...glad I did:thumbsup:

Kevin, nice Robeson, I dismissed those pen knives for sometime until Duncan peaked my interest in them, they are amazing, well made compact knives that cut well above their weight class:cool::thumbsup:

I am carrying this Remington today and just thought I would also put into here . Somebody carried this one a lot but did not treat it bad. Still has snap on open and close on both blades and the punch . Remington R3153 . The Acorn shield is still tight too . Still a very solid knife .

Harry

Now thats a neat old Knife Harry my friend - yep been used plenty- and yet plenty to give out yet m ore so than what it has given in the past!

Back