"Old Knives"

Thanks Harry, yes it has a small notch .

You can just barely see it in this pile side pic

nY1GKIF.jpg

Those old Remingtons often show how well they were made, even after decades of service!! Nice Harry and Steve!!:thumbsup:

Somewhat mysterious, this hefty Jack is marked D & S, Walden N.Y.
A hair over 3 3/4", with firm, satisfying Walk and Talk, I love this thing. Time to put edges on it and tote it a bit!! It has the look of a Walden or a Schrade or, ???? :rolleyes:
Just one inconclusive mention in Goins!:(
D and S Walden 1.jpg D and S Walden 3.jpg D and S Walden 2.jpg

Wow Charlie- that’s something quite cool right there.
I can’t add anything near what you can as to the Cutler responsible for the making of such a fine knife - but that looks like the early Schrade Peach Seed doesn’t it, and the styling of that Swage etc also looks Schrade!

In saying this - at times the New York Knife Co “ Peach seed “ in this fashion can be extremely similar to the early Schrade Peach Seed, but I do lean towards Schrade in my uneducated view.

I have to weigh in with optics only vs my lack of knowledge;):), that said the jigging on the D&S is as close to close can be with my recent Schrade Cut Co Holyoke Belt C.O. HJ Charlie:thumbsup:

The jigging is larger on the outside and reduces as it nears the middle:thumbsup:

Just a BEAUTIFUL Jack knife:cool::cool::cool:

Kudos go out to this page knife contributors:thumbsup:
This wonderful Schrade Cut Co had a "Make an Offer" so I did and it was accepted:eek: I called Duncan (10:30) New Zedland time and had to gush about this great specimen:)
I'll store this in my safe and hide the key when Duncan comes to visit next year;):D

A Schrade Cut Co Harness Jack with Deep "HOLYOKE BELT C.O. stamped on the main blade. Blades are absolutely solid, with the main centered in the well. Half stops that are crisp with flush springs in closed, half and open positions:thumbsup: Perfect peachseed bone with fantastic color and no chips or cracks. To my surprise it arrived with the most perfect convex edge that just slices through thin receipt paper:p measure 3 1/2" closed.

Okay, I am smitten with this old girl;););)

Sorry, light was fading so pictures aren't the best.
wavTgx.jpg

i4Uvdm.jpg

0tX49W.jpg

sznMn3.jpg
The jury is leaning toward Schrade Cut Co!!
Thanks Paul, for pointing out that similarity!!:rolleyes:

Those old Remingtons often show how well they were made, even after decades of service!! Nice Harry and Steve!!:thumbsup:

A hair over 3 3/4", with firm, satisfying Walk and Talk, I love this thing. Time to put edges on it and tote it a bit!! It has the look of a Walden or a Schrade or, ???? :rolleyes:
View attachment 1068177 View attachment 1068178 View attachment 1068179

Charlie, the shield makes me think NYK Co but the swedges on the blades sure look Schrade Cut Co to me, here is a Schrade Cut Co with what looks to be the same blades, 3 3/4" also.

IMG_9268.jpg IMG_9271.jpg

Something that may or may not apply as a difference from NYKC to SCC, in regards to blades. On my NYKC blades with long pulls, they seem to run right up to or even into the swage and back "into" the tang where as with SCC the don't run up "into" the swage (close however) but they do run into the tang like Augies above. This based on limited examples that I own.

Will try to back this hypothesis with pic's when I return home. Obviously tooling changed over the years so this thought could be bunk:(

EDIT: Came home to let pups out and shovel, plus the fun of driving in a ND blizzard:eek::D

Anyway, forensic evidence, however small may crack the case wide open:p seriously, this may be to minor to consider as we know tooling changes over time but to my point. Whether clip or spear I just happened to notice the difference in long pulls with the very few SCC and NYK Co knives I own (with long pulls) and how subtle the difference between them as I stated above, so here are pic's;) Top: NYK Co Bottom: SCC
JfPNPq.jpg

I guess the part I enjoy are the very subtle and not so subtle differences between knife companies, as well as the similarities they share, Swedge's (swages), jigging, shields, bolster, pin placement etc...:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Charlie, the shield makes me think NYK Co but the swedges on the blades sure look Schrade Cut Co to me, here is a Schrade Cut Co with what looks to be the same blades, 3 3/4" also.

View attachment 1068467 View attachment 1068468
Love this one Augie, a CLASSIC Jack to me:thumbsup: I love the difference in jigging from Mark to Pile:cool: Unless the same but different knives???
hmmmmm
qaElJT.jpg

Love this one Augie, a CLASSIC Jack to me:thumbsup: I love the difference in jigging from Mark to Pile:cool: Unless the same but different knives???
hmmmmm
qaElJT.jpg
Those bone covers are typical of two different decades. Maybe a replacement by the factory of a broken cover?

Yea, this one generated some speculation as to why it has different covers, maybe factory replacement, maybe a bad day on the bench, probably will never know, the pins and dye pretty much match.

Paul if you look at your spear Cut Co, see how the swedge starts to take a downward angle right before it gets to the pull, Charlie's and my clips do the same while the NYK swedge you show is straight, that is why I'm thinking Charlies is Schrade.

Last edited:
Yea, this one generated some speculation as to why it has different covers, maybe factory replacement, maybe a bad day on the bench, probably will never know, the pins and dye pretty much match.

Paul if you look at your spear Cut Co, see how the swedge starts to take a downward angle right before it gets to the pull, Charlie's and my clips do the same while the NYK swedge you show is straight, that is why I'm thinking Charlies is Schrade.
I see what your saying my friend:thumbsup:

Some great knives with beautiful bone handles being shown. Really neat to see Paul's comparison pictures and thoughts to go along with them.

View attachment 1068177 View attachment 1068178 View attachment 1068179
I thought Walden...but no

9320471973_6c573fe3ac_b.jpg

Back