1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

"Old Knives"

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by VCM3, Jan 21, 2008.

1. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Wow!! Go away for a few days, and look what happens!!:eek:
    It never ends!!!:cool:

2. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Well Charlie matey- you are going to have to put those treasures from the Oregon Thread here- you know this dont you? mmmmmm? :D

Boker Bone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Imperial
    [​IMG]

4. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    I snagged this beauty while trolling The Bay the other day... wowser, beautiful condition :):thumbsup:

DDMOP-1A.JPG DDMOP-1B.JPG DDMOP-1C.JPG DDMOP-1D.JPG

5. kai76

kai76 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2009
    @veitsi_poika Beautiful Ulster lobster!! I like that!! Such a classy knife.

veitsi_poika and Fodderwing like this.
  6. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    I went away to a knife show in Eugene only to come back and see a fantastic online knife show which took place in the past few days.
    Some beautiful knives all!!!
    Here is one pick-up from Eugene.
    A large pre-war Boker Jumbo whittler in bone.

BF Boker Jumb0 Bone Whittler .jpg

7. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Now that's a knife. Great bone, too. That pattern has been around for a while, I have catalog pages from other brands from the 1880s with whittlers like that.

Fodderwing likes this.
  8. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    I remember this being the first schrade cut that I ever bought. It was also my first old schrade with peachseed bone. It wasn't a bad one then, and still isn't. 71083 3/4 at 2 3/4". It's a tiny thing, and very slim. Notice how the jigging is sized to the knife.

IMG_3950.jpg

9. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Wow- What an old beauty- and that was your first? you sure started off on the right foot, thats a real nice old Knife! There cant be too many around like that Paul!

Oh Oh Oh..... now if you only came back with one knife? THAT would be THE one to come home with! Herder- that my friend is an outstanding knife in every way!

TheChunk91 likes this.
  10. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Schrade Cut Co #2012 EO Teardrop jack in ebony. Seller said it's been cleaned, but the price was right and it's beautiful anyway.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    That is a sweet Knife Jeff matey!

12. Gevonovich

Gevonovich Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2011
    veitsi_poika and TheChunk91 like this.
  13. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks, fellas, much appreciated!

14. Luger1952

Luger1952 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Jeff very nice Schrade Cut Ebony EO Jack:thumbsup: Looks cleaned but no overly so and with a soft touch. Tang Stamps still look very crisp. Hard to beat an EO Ebony Jack!

Here are a couple of my Schrade Cut EO jacks. These are non peach seed jigged bone handles. One a bare head and the other capped. The top one is what Charlie has characterized as a basketweave style jigging if I am not mistaken. The bottom one has a divot style jigging that was also used by NYKC. In fact I have several NYKC folders with this same style of jigging if not ever so slightly different—but not much. These are both probably pre peach seed. Both are 3 & 3/8 inches closed.
    E4FF0E55-5609-430A-9C62-53EB4AA293A3.jpeg 8EEEC7B9-0772-4899-A58F-83CBBFE83EDE.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  15. TheChunk91

Aug 15, 2013
    Lloyd I like the way you think, similar pairs are good. Cut 8173 3/4 and 8173.

IMG_3974.jpg

16. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Jeff, Lloyd and Paul- outstanding examples that are so very kind to the eyes!

Lloyd, you dont see too much of the Basket weave around do you- so nice to see this, the "divot style" jigging would have been the transistion to the early peach-seed that is very similar ( not the peach-seed that Paul is showing in his two fine examples ) I hope you know what I mean by this.

Paul- your Schrade's my friend .... are extremely nice! Oh to be a fly on the wall in your room during maintenance / Oil / Renaissance Wax day!

Fodderwing likes this.
  17. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks, Lambertiana (yes, an old pattern as you say), Campbellclanman, and Gevonovich.
    Some nice examples shown from TheChunk, black mamba, and Luger.
    Here is another Eugene show find. An older Henckels whittler with a Wharncliffe handle type in smooth stag.

BF Henckels Stag Whittler .jpg

18. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks, Lloyd, and yes, the cleaning is light. The cover/bolster transitions are still smooth as well as the crisp stampings. My ebony is one step up from the size of your bone beauties at exactly 3⅝"

TheChunk91 and Luger1952 like this.
  19. TheChunk91

Aug 15, 2013
    Well Duncan, if I see a fly on the wall, or anywhere else I reach for the bug-a-salt gun.
    IMG_3975.JPG

Joking aside, thank you for the comments. :)

20. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Nice old knives showing up, as usual!! Nice "basketweave" Lloyd!!
    Time to dig up those comparison pictures I did a while back!!

Campbellclanman likes this.