1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Old Knives"

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by VCM3, Jan 21, 2008.

1. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    I finally got around to getting pictures of some of my smaller old knives. Nothing special, but I like them all.
    First, a 2 3/4" Ulster with ebony scales
    [​IMG]

Second, a 3" Ulster with cocobolo scales
    [​IMG]

Third, a 3 1/4" Ulster with bone scales
    [​IMG]

Fourth, a 3 3/8" Ulster with cocobolo scales
    [​IMG]

And finally, a 3 1/2" Southington with cocobolo scales
    [​IMG]

2. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    All AMAZING Lloyd, I meant to comment earlier but I had to catch my breath first:eek::D Seriously, all are stunning knives:thumbsup:

3. Luger1952

Luger1952 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Lambertiana, very nice bunch of Ulsters and a Southington—I like them ALL also:thumbsup:

Thanks Nick, Paul, Augie, Duncan, and Paul H, for your nice comments on my Folding hunter(s)—much appreciated! Thanks also to those who liked them:thumbsup:

Goetztalon and kai76 like this.
  4. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    @Luger1952 Terrific threesome of NYKCo made folding hunters, the definition of "eye candy!"

@lambertiana Excellent line up of Ulster K Co jacks with a wonderful Southington to "sweeten
    the pot!"

Here are a couple relatives; a Remington scout and a PAL scout. I have always wondered why PAL was so short lived. My wild guess would be the loss of Defense contracts combined with Marshall Plan dumping of low cost German and Japanese knives?

I just thought these two looked pretty good together :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  5. kai76

kai76 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2009
    @lambertiana Beautiful knives, I especially love the bone Ulster and the Southington is excellent with that big ol shield!

Just received this Empire from the bay.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Nick :cool::thumbsup:

Will Power, kai76 and waynorth like this.
  7. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Very nice Nick:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

kai76 likes this.
  8. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Nice find! What is the closed length?

kai76 likes this.
  9. kai76

Jun 5, 2009
    Thanks Paul and Paul!;)

Thanks, it’s 3 3/8”.

10. eisman

eisman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Not mine, but I think you all might be interested in these. Now part of the display at the Cowboy Museum in Oklahoma City. This pair of English knives is in the "Hunting" room. They caught my eye because there are not a lot of knives in the displays, and the folding knife is not a pattern you see now days. First, it's at least 5" closed, a coffin shape with (I think) stamped bolsters. One of the things that caught my eye was the obvious greater wear of the pen blade, which I find quite common on older knives. The main blade also appears to lock, although it's really hard to tell due to the way it's displayed. Anyways, something different...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Nice old knives Lambertiana! A feast for the eyes that smaller line is!

Kai - That Empire is simply gorgeous- a very nice old Jack!

Eisman thank you for the peek at those great old knives!

kai76 likes this.
  12. kai76

Jun 5, 2009
    Campbellclanman likes this.
  13. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Wilbert Pruner, Napanoch or Empire built? I have posted more about this knife in the " Prune Big or Go Home Thread"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Beautiful blade Duncan, pointy and crisp. :thumbsup:

Will Power and Fodderwing like this.
  15. hoyer

hoyer

Feb 4, 2008
    I recently bought this William Rodgers knife, made in Sheffield. It has got this simple, yet very clever mechanism. I have no idea of the age so I started a thread in the Bernard Levine subforum. If anybody got an idea on the age.. input is very welcome! I'm not trying to crosspost, but I figured you guys might enjoy seeing this old knife.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  16. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Nice Pruner - I'm guessing Napanoch Duncan! Welcome home!!

17. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Thank you Paul my friend- yes that Blade is bang on isnt it! - I have magnified this Blade and it's edge and I am very sure an edge was never actually put on the Blade- no Sharpening Marks and of course no wear!

Charlie Thank you for both the advice and welcome back -Charlie what are you seeing that points toward Napanoch? would it be the Lack of Shield from Empire - or Bolster Shape - the lack of Threading / Rats Tail? or is it just down to " No... that just doesn't look like Empire " without anything jumping out at you?
    Interesting!

18. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    An intriguing item most certainly. Throws up an oddity or two the first being its relatively large size! Hardly a pocket-knife so the shackle/bail points to belt carry or maybe in the pack. Carbon sabre ground blade with that interesting yet simply clever lock system. What are the handles? Must be stainless as they don't display patina like the blade nor tarnish like brass would. Or could they be aluminium? At one time a very costly scale option-seems incredible today! But I suggest not as that too tarnishes to an unsightly and spotty look over time.

So if they are stainless, it would indicate between the 2 World Wars. Sabre grind gives it some hunting pretentions perhaps? Sabre might not be so common on English knives post WW2 I'm guessing.

Let's see what others make of it.

Regards, Will

veitsi_poika, hoyer and Fodderwing like this.
  19. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Nothing special?!? Those are all fantastic, the bareheads, especially.
    Congratulations, nice find. There's something so very classy about a bar shield on ebony.

kai76 likes this.
  20. kai76

Jun 5, 2009
    r8shell likes this.