"Old Knives"

Lovely Cut Co, Paul T., beautiful celluloid!:thumbsup:
Three great knives, Lloyd! :thumbsup: Especially the NYK, I really like that old pick bone!
I am a little late, but also welcome back, Charlie!:thumbsup::)

I finally got around to getting pictures of some of my smaller old knives. Nothing special, but I like them all.
First, a 2 3/4" Ulster with ebony scales
dVJ2PH0.jpg

Second, a 3" Ulster with cocobolo scales
v4ky0xL.jpg

Third, a 3 1/4" Ulster with bone scales
iimknm4.jpg

Fourth, a 3 3/8" Ulster with cocobolo scales
di513Ua.jpg

And finally, a 3 1/2" Southington with cocobolo scales
RYKBMl3.jpg

Paul, beautiful Schrade Cut Premium Serpentine Stockman—right up your alley!

Here is a NYKC locked back folding hunter (pattern no. 187) I recently acquired. I have been on the look out for one for several years. I have two (obviously NYKC manufactured) examples that are branded OVB Spencer Hibbard Bartlett & Co. and the other a Zenith Marshall Wells Hardware Co.

The NYKC example is in excellent used condition with a full blade, no cracks or splits in the bone handles (that I can see even under magnification) and tight lockup. The pick bone handles are especially interesting to me. This, I believe, is representative of an earlier made knife. It also does not have the arm-and -hammer logo/trademark that you see on many knives. My guess is this knife is pre circa 1910. The Biddle Hardware Co. Catalog of 1908 page 900 of the NYKC section show this exact knife with pick bone handles in the artist rendering.

The other two example do not have pick bone handles but utilize a sort of divot style jigging pattern that some suggest might have been accomplished using the George Schrade jigging machine.

Anyway, thanks for looking and any comments or further insights or corrections are very welcomed.View attachment 1144238 View attachment 1144231 View attachment 1144237 View attachment 1144230 View attachment 1144233 View attachment 1144235 View attachment 1144236
All AMAZING Lloyd, I meant to comment earlier but I had to catch my breath first:eek::D Seriously, all are stunning knives:thumbsup:

Lambertiana, very nice bunch of Ulsters and a Southington—I like them ALL also:thumbsup:

Thanks Nick, Paul, Augie, Duncan, and Paul H, for your nice comments on my Folding hunter(s)—much appreciated! Thanks also to those who liked them:thumbsup:

Luger1952 Luger1952 Terrific threesome of NYKCo made folding hunters, the definition of "eye candy!"

L lambertiana Excellent line up of Ulster K Co jacks with a wonderful Southington to "sweeten
the pot!"

Here are a couple relatives; a Remington scout and a PAL scout. I have always wondered why PAL was so short lived. My wild guess would be the loss of Defense contracts combined with Marshall Plan dumping of low cost German and Japanese knives?

I just thought these two looked pretty good together :)

Last edited:
Not mine, but I think you all might be interested in these. Now part of the display at the Cowboy Museum in Oklahoma City. This pair of English knives is in the "Hunting" room. They caught my eye because there are not a lot of knives in the displays, and the folding knife is not a pattern you see now days. First, it's at least 5" closed, a coffin shape with (I think) stamped bolsters. One of the things that caught my eye was the obvious greater wear of the pen blade, which I find quite common on older knives. The main blade also appears to lock, although it's really hard to tell due to the way it's displayed. Anyways, something different...

anWlUQZ.jpg

xXzGJBu.jpg

Nice old knives Lambertiana! A feast for the eyes that smaller line is!

Kai - That Empire is simply gorgeous- a very nice old Jack!

Eisman thank you for the peek at those great old knives!

I recently bought this William Rodgers knife, made in Sheffield. It has got this simple, yet very clever mechanism. I have no idea of the age so I started a thread in the Bernard Levine subforum. If anybody got an idea on the age.. input is very welcome! I'm not trying to crosspost, but I figured you guys might enjoy seeing this old knife.
4vxsT70.jpg

uMUFoaU.jpg

XPlgDeM.jpg

GDfakEu.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Paul my friend- yes that Blade is bang on isnt it! - I have magnified this Blade and it's edge and I am very sure an edge was never actually put on the Blade- no Sharpening Marks and of course no wear!

Charlie Thank you for both the advice and welcome back -Charlie what are you seeing that points toward Napanoch? would it be the Lack of Shield from Empire - or Bolster Shape - the lack of Threading / Rats Tail? or is it just down to " No... that just doesn't look like Empire " without anything jumping out at you?
Interesting!

I recently bought this William Rodgers knife, made in Sheffield. It's got this simple, yet very clever mechanism. I have no idea of the age so I started a thread in the Bernard Levine subforum. If anybody got an idea on the age.. input is very welcome! I'm not trying to crosspost, but I figured you guys might enjoy seeing this old knife.
4vxsT70.jpg

uMUFoaU.jpg

XPlgDeM.jpg

GDfakEu.jpg

An intriguing item most certainly. Throws up an oddity or two the first being its relatively large size! Hardly a pocket-knife so the shackle/bail points to belt carry or maybe in the pack. Carbon sabre ground blade with that interesting yet simply clever lock system. What are the handles? Must be stainless as they don't display patina like the blade nor tarnish like brass would. Or could they be aluminium? At one time a very costly scale option-seems incredible today! But I suggest not as that too tarnishes to an unsightly and spotty look over time.

So if they are stainless, it would indicate between the 2 World Wars. Sabre grind gives it some hunting pretentions perhaps? Sabre might not be so common on English knives post WW2 I'm guessing.

Let's see what others make of it.

Regards, Will

I finally got around to getting pictures of some of my smaller old knives. Nothing special, but I like them all.
First, a 2 3/4" Ulster with ebony scales
dVJ2PH0.jpg

Second, a 3" Ulster with cocobolo scales
v4ky0xL.jpg

Third, a 3 1/4" Ulster with bone scales
iimknm4.jpg

Fourth, a 3 3/8" Ulster with cocobolo scales
di513Ua.jpg

And finally, a 3 1/2" Southington with cocobolo scales
RYKBMl3.jpg
Nothing special?!? Those are all fantastic, the bareheads, especially.
L lambertiana Beautiful knives, I especially love the bone Ulster and the Southington is excellent with that big ol shield!

Just received this Empire from the bay.

Congratulations, nice find. There's something so very classy about a bar shield on ebony.

Back